Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

red mills dog food

• 21-09-2011 9:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47

hi all
    i am currently feeding my two 9 month old cockers valp dog food but am thinking of changing
    i was in a pet shop today and they gave me a sample of redmills leader adult food i had a look at the ingredients and it seems ok ill post the ingredients below,just woundering whats your opinion of the brand? and if you would recommend it thanks in advance
    ingredients
    dehydrated poultry meat(20% min),maize,rice,poultry fat,dehulled oats,linseed,fishmeal,beet pulp,seasoned chicken gravy,minerals actvitamins,chicory extract,yeast extract

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

The Leader isnt too bad, its the better food in their range, Leader Supreme would be even better.

There might be a better food out there for your budget if you let us know what that is we might be able to recommend something else for you.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Had my springer on it when he was a pup and you wouldnt sit in the room with him with the gas it gave him. Got to the stage that we brought him to the vets and they advised us to change the brand of food. Talked to a few people who said they had the same issues, so it might be something to look out for.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Ponder013

I have my terriers on Red Mills 'Winner' or 'Pet' and they are fine, no 'smelly' problems :)

I buy it because it's one of the only Irish brands available, it also suits the dogs, nice coats, healthy all round and they've been on it for years. Can't say anything about the 'leader' brand, never tried that.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Ponder013

forgot to say, I also give them a can of LIDL sardines between them once a weeks for the fish oils, no arthritis problems and they are both over ten, one is pushing 15.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 twotonewolftone

hi all thanks for all the replies i currently feed them valp which is made by husse.its 50 eur for 15kg bag and it feeds both of them for about a month.i also give them the odd tin of tuna and a teaspoon of codliver oil daily to help their coat,teeth and bones.i think i might try the red mill stuff thank you all again for your contributions

• Advertisement

If the food is 50euro a bag it must be good enough quality and would be a lot better quality than Red Mills, so im not sure if i would be changing to Red Mills from that, unless cost is an issue.

Is there a reason you need to change?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Ingredients:

Chicken, rice, animal fat, wheat meal, wheat, beet pulp, hydrolyzed chicken protein, linseed, dried fish meal, salmon oil, yeast, salt, dried whole eggs, fructo- oligosaccharides, lecithin, tagetes extract, sea algae, grape seed extract

That's the ingredient listing on Valp. Honestly OP, I would change from it as it doesn't seem worth 50euro to me. The first ingredient is Chicken, which could quite frankly be any parts of the chicken, and it doesn't state whether its dried or fresh (fresh meat contains about 80% of water so means it contains significantly less meat than is stated) Also, wheat is mentioned twice; wheat is one of the main causes of allergies in dogs so that would definitely put me off it.
    In saying that, I'm not too fond of the Leader range either as I too have heard quite a few people complain about the gas. On top of that, I would have to feed my dogs nearly double what I'm feeding them right now so a bag wouldn't last very long in my house. I know the Leader Supreme definitely comes as the most highly reccomended of the leader range, so maybe try it for a while and see how they get on with it.

Shanao, i think you might be confusing the type of chicken with "Derivitives". That means it can be any part of the chicken or animal.

When it says chicken, that usually means its good quality meat and not the Derivitive type meat.
    The fact that it doesnt have derivitives would mean it is good quality and i would be happy to use this food.
    Its when Cereals or meat and animal derivitives are the first ingredients is where i would have an issue with it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

andreac wrote: »
    When it says chicken, that usually means its good quality meat and not the Derivitive type meat.

Should it not say dried chicken though? I dont think I would pay €50 for that food.

andreac wrote: »
    Shanao, i think you might be confusing the type of chicken with "Derivitives". That means it can be any part of the chicken or animal.

The fact that it doesnt have derivitives would mean it is good quality and i would be happy to use this food.
    Its when Cereals or meat and animal derivitives are the first ingredients is where i would have an issue with it...

Not in my experience. When it says chicken, with no mention of whether it is dried or fresh, and no mention of the percentage of meat content, then it doesn't sound like high quality meat to me. Again, the wheat content is what would most definitely turn me off this food, but I wouldn't be too happy about the meat either. Granted, its a hell of a lot better than most foods out there, but I would be happier to use Leader Supreme in this case.

• Advertisement

Yeah i suppose it would be better to say Dried chicken and the % of it too.

But id still rate this food over one that said "Meat and Animal Derivitives" as you really dont know what you are getting when it says that...

But i dont think i would pay 50euro either for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭reeta

Dog food

Hi, just looking for advice. Had my cocker/springer (18 months) on Royal Canin for the last year which is excellent. Up to that I had problems with getting a dog food that suited her as she would get severe coilitis, after several visits to vet realised it was her food. Unfortunately I am finding Royal Canin too expensive and while at the Pet Expo in RDS last weekend became interested in Red Mills Supreme dog food. So just wondering if anyone has further info on this food. i.e. is it good

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭chris139ryan

i have 2 bags of this out in the shed for when my bull terrier finishes his royal canine, lucking forward to see how it compares as its much much cheaper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 sezzie22

EEEk...I would not choose to feed it....it is significantly better than your pedigree chum, bakers muck etc....however there is still derivatives in it....assuming everyone knows what they are..... I am conscious of the fact that it is irish made....which i really like.....but I would not choose to feed it to any of mine (permanent or foster) ..... For Example- one of my dogs is fed 320gms of Royal canin a day- Redmills recommend I feed 420gms of their food......says to me it is full of fillers like wheat etc..... which just means there will be more waste and not only that but I will run out of food 3-4kgs quicker than if i feed a better quality of food....so if I was to add the cost of NOTHER 3-4KGS onto the 15kg bag cost- hey presto- im up on the price of royal canin anyway and i am confident i am feeding a human grade meat diet with them....no derivatives in their food......its a bit of a false economy when you break it all down i can assure you- however agreeably there is the fact that it is irish that would encourage me to buy it......if they stopped using derivatives and nasty stuff like that i probably would....

sezzie22 wrote: »
    EEEk...I would not choose to feed it....it is significantly better than your pedigree chum, bakers muck etc....however there is still derivatives in it....assuming everyone knows what they are..... I am conscious of the fact that it is irish made....which i really like.....but I would not choose to feed it to any of mine (permanent or foster) ..... For Example- one of my dogs is fed 320gms of Royal canin a day- Redmills recommend I feed 420gms of their food......says to me it is full of fillers like wheat etc..... which just means there will be more waste and not only that but I will run out of food 3-4kgs quicker than if i feed a better quality of food....so if I was to add the cost of NOTHER 3-4KGS onto the 15kg bag cost- hey presto- im up on the price of royal canin anyway and i am confident i am feeding a human grade meat diet with them....no derivatives in their food......its a bit of a false economy when you break it all down i can assure you- however agreeably there is the fact that it is irish that would encourage me to buy it......if they stopped using derivatives and nasty stuff like that i probably would....

To be completely honest, I wouldn't use either Red mills or Royal Canin. Have a good look at the back of the bags, Royal Canin use BHA as a preservative (banned from human consumption) and the list their main meat source as poultry meal? Poultry as in which poultry? They also have 'animal proteins' and 'animal fats', again which animals are these from? My akita is allergic to pork so cannot eat RC, even though it doesn't have pork written in the ingredients, its undoubtedly still in there as he tore his own hair out on it. RC was good a few years ago but since Masterfoods took them over (same company who own pedigree chum), its not so good anymore.
    Red Mills is packed full of cereals as well, I would have to feed double the amount of red mills that I'm feeding of my current food so will end more expensive than you might think. On top of that, there is no mention of just what preservatives they use in it, which I have a problem with, especially with two large dogs whose breeds are prone to cancers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,545 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Used to feed our boxer Red Mills until I discovered GAIN Retired Freyhound. Same as Red Millls as far as protein, oils etc but a third of the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

I find Redmills great. The ingredients list is quite good. BUT the most important thing, my staffie cross is doing great on it.
    And guess what? its Winner. I've tried her on Select Gold, Real Nature, Leader, Acana and Arden Grange. The only food that agrees with her is Winner.
    I worked it out and this works out cheaper than feeding any of the others, so Im not sure why people are so sure that it'd cost more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 cora2

Try Whites. They only €39/€41 for a 15kg bag. Its great food. Its a natural food. I got a sample, my dogs loved it & bought a bag. 4 weeks on & the difference is really noticable. Esp their coats

Advertisement