Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blacksmith trade question??

• 21-09-2011 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

Does anyone know if someone who's a blacksmith, just happened to pick it up as they went along or if it was something specifically passed on in a family, or that they'd go out of their way to learn it...

I'm trying to place my GGF in the 1911 census, blacksmith was his occupation in 1945, but I've found one family with both the father and son as blacksmiths, right name and roughly right age but in Limerick rather than cork, so I was wondering if being a blacksmith makes it any easier to pin point him!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

That trade tended to run in families, father to one of the sons. With the advent of the motor car there was a big downturn in the business and many turned to becoming garages/mechanics, as they already had the basic mechanical skills. Guesswork/intuition – he's in 1911 census in Limerick, so after that date the trade would be slackening, so it would be quite possible for a smith to move to Cork for work.
    Rs
    P.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Yes, I would not discount them because they are not where you expected them.

Trade directories here might help you - for 20th century ones, you'll probably need to go into the local library.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭dido2

Thanks!

I have him listed in his known address in 1945 Guys Almanac and he's listed as a blacksmith then, he had 3 daughters one of them was my GM, and I even though I've found 3 birth records with same mother and fathers name on all 3 slight variations of the mothers names, all 3 are different addresses, so I'm trying to place my GGF now and work upwards, something just isn't sitting right with the current matches I have, I need to make the Daniel O Shea listed in the 1945 Almanac meet up with a 1911 Daniel O Shea!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Hi OP he could be listed as a wheelright, it's a similiar trade. You should be able to get something in parish(church) records too, baptisms weddings etc. Try looking for a birth cert, I think they give mother's maiden names on them. The biggest problem is family (nick) names eg Bill for somebody who was offically known as William.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭dido2

Thanks blue 5000

I just tried wheelright and there are only 18 in all of ireland none of them a possible GGF...

This is all city centre of cork city with a few churchs so I need to find out where and when I can see the church records and get around to them!!

I have ordered all 3 birth certs for my GM and her 2 sisters, fathers name is correct, mothers name changes from Kate to Catherine between the 3 but the address is different in all 3 so I need to find a way to connect the 3 addresses together, even if I found baptism records I'd probably have the same problem in trying to connect them all together

• Advertisement
Advertisement