Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bay Trees

Options
  • 21-09-2011 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

A few years I bought two small bay trees and planted them in my garden. They've been fine for a long time but over the last year they seem to be getting out of control , the branches are growing up and out really fast even though I have been cutting them back. It also looks like something is eating the leaves as a lot of them are in bad condition and this Summer I noticed blue bottles and flies seem to be very attracted to it.

My garden is very small and I have noticed branches coming up from the ground at the wall of my house so I'm worried about the roots affecting the house. I think I will have to get rid of these trees now because I don't know how to look after them. It will be a shame because they always looked lovely in my garden.

Can anyone offer any advice on what's best to do with them and if I dig them up can they be replanted in pots instead.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

Anybody ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Hi Karen,
    bay trees can grow to over 10 metres tall and can spread quite wide as well.
    They may not be suitable for a small garden, but can be grown very successfully in pots. You could try to dig up your current ones but depending on their size (?) they may not transplant well into pots. The best time to move evergreens is late spring but if you can't wait until then the best option may be to get rid of your present trees and buy a small one which you can keep clipped and contained in a large pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

My husband dug them up yesterday , a neighbour took them to re plant in his allotment :) , I hope they do well there.

Advertisement