Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can someone rec. some books for me - some along the lines of..

Options
  • 21-09-2011 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭

ok so i always struggle to find books I like.

So I am looking for some help.

So here are some of the books I have read that I really loved..

Sophies Choice - William Styron
    Dancer - Colum McCann
    The Good Earth - Pearl S Buck
    Let the great world spin - Colum McCann
    Brooklyn - Colin Tobin
    The kite Runner - ?
    Too great a lady - ?
    The Russian Concubine - Kate Furnivall

In general, I love books that have great characters - character's that draw you in and make you empathize or sympathize with them.
    Books that help you to understand how the lives of people were affected by events ie war, poverty, stigma etc.
    Also, books that are well written.

Books perhaps that are based on a period of time - like from historical events - but not necessarily non fiction - I think saga is the phrase? Or Memoir?

I do not know the category - perhaps drama?

Good recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

I think you might like these:

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini (the same author as The Kite Runner)

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭randomguy

The following are decent literary novels with readability, good writing and a historical setting or a sense of history.

The Siege of Krishnapur - JG Farrell
    Middlesex - Jeffrey Eugenides
    Birds Without Wings - Louis de Bernieres
    In The Skin of a Lion - Michael Ondaatje
    Strumpet City - James Plunkett
    A Star Called Henry - Roddy Doyle
    The Untouchable - John Banville
    Earthly Powers - Anthony Burgess
    The Things They Carried - Tim O'Brien
    Underworld - Don deLillo (modern but very good)
    The Corrections - Franzen (modern but great)
    Netherland - Joseph O'Neill (but might lack narrative for you, ditto The Reluctant Fundamentalist)

And I tell everyone to try Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry, since it is great, but only the wise follow my advice...

If you've an opinion on a few of these, let me know and I'll recommend a few more...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

sporina wrote: »

In general, I love books that have great characters - character's that draw you in and make you empathize or sympathize with them.
    Books that help you to understand how the lives of people were affected by events ie war, poverty, stigma etc.
    Also, books that are well written.
    Try Speaks the nighbird by Robert McCammon

Top notch read IMO.
    After a ten-year absence from publishing, McCammon (Boy's Life) returns with this historical novel of colonial Carolina. In 1699, legal clerk Matthew Corbett accompanies magistrate Isaac Woodward to Fount Royal, where he has been summoned to decide whether a witch is living in the newly established settlement. The two are immediately thrown into danger, even before they reach the town. And once there, they must deal with the inhabitants, some of whom stand to gain if Rachel, the accused, is executed. Soon it becomes obvious to Matthew that everyone has secrets, even the magistrate. In the end, he alone must try to unravel the mysteries. While many of McCammon's prior novels dealt with the supernatural, his latest contains horrors that are more real. McCammon also provides extensive historical detail, re-creating the legal procedures, medical practices, and everyday existence of the time. The language and situations are often disturbing, especially because many of the accusations against Rachel are sexual in nature, but McCammon tells a compelling story that should find a wide readership. Highly recommended for popular fiction collections

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

William Kennedy's Albany Trilogy would be perfect for you I think.

http://www.amazon.ca/Albany-Trilogy-William-Kennedy/dp/0140257861

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭sporina

x_Ellie_x wrote: »
    I think you might like these:

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini (the same author as The Kite Runner)

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

thanks for that - i have actually read the 1st two..

Advertisement