Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Corolla with 100k+ miles

• 21-09-2011 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

Hi just wondering if anyone could tell me if a 98/99 Corolla with high mileage would be a good buy or a waste of time? A few of them up for sale between €1000 and €1500. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Shouldn't be a problem, plenty of Taxi versions of them with well in to the 200k's going around. Try to get one with a service history or partial history to show it has had regular oil changes, other than that reliable cars. 100k on 98/99 is less than 10k a year so average miles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Them corollas last forever once you look after them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

So people think, that's the 1.3's... If you buy a 1.4 vvti, make sure to keep a can of oil in the boot :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I have a 99 1.3 that's at 184k and running well. Dropped it into the NCT to see what needed doing and it passed without a hitch. :)

Picked mine up for less than half what you're talking about though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

not all the 1.4's are bad but some can be fond of oil, but even at that they never ever give up.

still do your best to get a 1.3, its a much better engine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

A lot of them are advertised as a 1.3 but when I put the reg into cartell.ie it says it's a 1.4! Ah well I'll just have to keep looking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

the trick with that model corolla is all the 1998 and 99 cars were 1.3 and all the 2000 and 01 cars were 1.4's.

another way to distinguish is that the cars with the singular circular front headlamps were the 1.3, whereas the ones with the facelifted front with the rectangular front lights (and trip computer in the dash) were 1.4's.

1.3 corolla
    de9f45fbedae2b84ebe4ac5678ea_grande.jpg

1.4 corolla
    2239_67752.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Get a service on her though, what you have to spend in air-filters, clean injectors and spark-plugs, you will save in petrol over a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Also OP watching out for clocking, these cars wear very well and are prone to it! I honeslty can't tell you how to avoid it, as I've never really seen one with a service history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

as above the 1.3 will go on and on and on, mine had 220k when i sold it for 750 euro 3 years ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Ive a 00 Corolla with 65k, so 99k isnt too bad!

My 1.3 1993 Corolla has just gone over the 170,000 miles mark. A friend's 1.3 95 Corolla has just 90,000 miles in comparison!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

barone wrote: »
    as above the 1.3 will go on and on and on, mine had 220k when i sold it for 750 euro 3 years ago

A mate of mine had 245k miles on his. Looked "faded", but drove nice...

One of the best cars ever made....

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

Sounds like they're a good car! Now to find one for the right price.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭leex

Close relative has a 1.4 vvti late 00 model with 165k on clock - no issues with it so far and it is still going fine. Don't think it burns oil either unlike my wife's 02 Avensis 1.6vvti which was very bad before Toyota changed most of the engine block under warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Have to admit, there is one problem with mine: it's ugly as sin and so boring it wouldn't understand the idea of sin! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Uncle in Limerick had a 99 Corolla with the roundy headlights as a field car for the past year or so.

180k on the clock.

It was driven like a field car and not serviced and left run idle a lot.

She's back on the road now housing his son.

Himself has been using a Carina E since as long as I can remember.

Both of those things are bullet proof

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I've had the one in my signature for over a year and never had a days trouble with it.

Have been over and back in my head about selling it and buying a 318Ci but have decided to keep it due to the additional running costs of the BMW. They are boring as sin and can be thirsty on the motorway but it has never left me down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭barura

What are the 1.6's like? Anything like the 1.3's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭Weylin

*Sparkle* wrote: »
    Hi just wondering if anyone could tell me if a 98/99 Corolla with high mileage would be a good buy or a waste of time? A few of them up for sale between €1000 and €1500. Thanks
    just make sure it has passed nct in last few weeks, and it should last a year at the least :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

My 1.6 has 109bhp... not bad :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭barura

Vicxas wrote: »
    My 1.6 has 109bhp... not bad :)
    Ah! But is it reliable?

Advertisement