Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Road bike - looks a decent deal!??

• 21-09-2011 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

hi all

sorry for another one of these questions, but...

http://www.wiggle.co...renti-rhigos04/ i am getting my first road bike and to my untrained eye this looks the biz especially at this price?

are they a good bike? i can find very little reviews on them - anything i should be wary of?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Your link is broken....

EDIT: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/verenti-rhigos04/ this is it i presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 malraff

cheers Alan ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,458 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

yea seen the .03 review - was worried something was missing from the .04 that i wouldnt notice and hence the cheap price!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,458 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

well theres a difference in the frame
    Frame: Verenti Full HM 3K SL Carbon frame - black carbon fibre lugs

vs

Frame: Verenti Full HM SL Carbon frame – with full carbon fibre lugs

also the 04 has a truativ chainset and tektro brakes to save money

and it is the bottom of the rhigos range

• Advertisement

sooo... lol

it is a worse bike? for a novice would i even notice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

Bikeradar also did a review of the Rhigos 03 which scored well:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-verenti-rhigos-3-11-42584

Personally, if I were buying my first road bike I'd go to a local bike shop and try sitting on one (or more!) to be sure it fits (then I've got short legs so I wouldn't want to risk getting one too big - it may be less of an issue for taller cyclists).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Zen0 wrote: »
    Personally, if I were buying my first road bike I'd go to a local bike shop and try sitting on one (or more!) to be sure it fits (then I've got short legs so I wouldn't want to risk getting one too big - it may be less of an issue for taller cyclists).

I know people who've been sold the wrong size bike in a shop. Double whammy - poor value, wrong size.

OP, that bike looks good as a first road bike. Price-wise it's great value. The head tube is long (for a more upright position), so you should be particularly careful not to get one too big (or rather less worried about getting one too small).

The sizing is interesting though. The M and L sizes have a difference of only 8mm in virtual (horizontal equivalent) top tube, which is not much really, less than a 10mm increment in stem length. However, the head tube is 20mm longer on the L, which is a lot.

The geometry is similar to the Specialized Secteur, so maybe find one of those in a shop and see how it feels in the different sizes.

Lumen wrote: »
    I know people who've been sold the wrong size bike in a shop. Double whammy - poor value, wrong size.

OP, that bike looks good as a first road bike. Price-wise it's great value. The head tube is long (for a more upright position), so you should be particularly careful not to get one too big (or rather less worried about getting one too small).

The sizing is interesting though. The M and L sizes have a difference of only 8mm in virtual (horizontal equivalent) top tube, which is not much really, less than a 10mm increment in stem length. However, the head tube is 20mm longer on the L, which is a lot.

The geometry is similar to the Specialized Secteur, so maybe find one of those in a shop and see how it feels in the different sizes.

i was thinking the medium would be enough for me, im 1m74cm with an estimated inside leg of 30-32cm (need get that accurate i know)

the lbs for this money wou;ld get me a
    https://twelve50bikes.com/shop/Cube-Peloton-Pro-2012/192

how does that compare - would it be worth taking a hit on the carbon frame to stay local??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

malraff wrote: »
    i was thinking the medium would be enough for me, im 1m74cm with an estimated inside leg of 30-32cm (need get that accurate i know)

the lbs for this money wou;ld get me a
    https://twelve50bikes.com/shop/Cube-Peloton-Pro-2012/192

how does that compare - would it be worth taking a hit on the carbon frame to stay local??

Tricky, the medium Verenti has a virtual TT of 559mm, which is a bit long for someone 5'7".

That cube is nice. A better spec sheet is here:

http://www.cube.eu/en/road/performance/peloton-pro/

The 56cm Cube (with a 545mm top tube and a 160mm headtube) would be likely to be a decent fit for your height.

The equivalent Verenti size, lengthwise, is the small with a 548mm top tube and 150mm headtube.

Actually, I've confused myself. The Verenti sizing is weird. The M and L are really close together lengthwise, but have a huge difference in head tube.

• Advertisement

lol things where so much eaier when i was 16 - i just bought something that was cheap and had gears and i was happy!!

now my uncle who does a fair bit of cycling says he wouldnt buy either 2 but this one instead :confused: lol

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/felt-z85-2012/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

id personally buy a canyon roadlite 5.0/6.0 if i had a budget like yours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

Lumen wrote: »
    I know people who've been sold the wrong size bike in a shop. Double whammy - poor value, wrong size....

+1 on bike shops being no guarantee of a proper fit.

Also the seat angle on the large Verenti is slightly steeper. For an average (my own) seat height and the same seatpost offset behind top of seat tube the horizontal length from centre of top of seatpost to bars will be 26mm longer (including 10mm extra stem length.)(I used trignometry-sad I know:rolleyes:).

This is why effective top tube is not the best guide to bike fit. Stack=Horizontal difference from BB to head tube is better.

Try getting your lbs to explain that to you.:)
    I trust the OP is now utterly confused. Sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

And another thing.......

I'd agree with Icyseanfitz. Canyon 6.0 is a few euros more but great value imo.

And @OP- I hope you mean inches on your inside leg measurement.:)

Advertisement