Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice please

Options
  • 21-09-2011 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

My landlady owns the house where I am renting a room.
    I told her I didn't smoke before moving in and she said she smoked outside all last year because she had non smokers there too. She actually smokes inside all the time and the house stinks!
    On top of this I had been living here a few days and she texted me about two of her family sleeping in my room last weekend.
    Obviously I was totally taken aback by this but considering it's her house, I was away at the time and have no door lock I thought it would be futile to say no as they were already definitely staying in the house.
    I want out of the house after only two weeks because these two things have put my back up! :mad: Am I being unreasonable? I am also worried about giving her notice and giving her reasons for my leaving, should I be honest about why I am going or just make up an excuse? Thanks :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

mary_hayes wrote: »
    I told her I didn't smoke before moving in and she said she smoked outside all last year because she had non smokers there too. She actually smokes inside all the time and the house stinks!
    On top of this I had been living here a few days and she texted me about two of her family sleeping in my room last weekend.
    Obviously I was totally taken aback by this but considering it's her house, I was away at the time and have no door lock I thought it would be futile to say no as they were already definitely staying in the house.
    I want out of the house after only two weeks because these two things have put my back up! :mad: Am I being unreasonable? I am also worried about giving her notice and giving her reasons for my leaving, should I be honest about why I am going or just make up an excuse? Thanks :o

In my opinion, you definitely shouldn't have agreed to her family staying. that's madness. On the smoking thing, she was either lying to you, or just didn't respect you enough to not smoke outside the house as she said would happen. I'd leave, and tell her why.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Spiritofthekop

mary_hayes wrote: »

Thats shocking!!...

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Lyn256

OMG-I had lodgers in my precious house for years and I'd never even enter their bedrooms without permission-let alone have a family member stay.
    On the rare occasions I'd have someone stay, I'd clear it with them first and the guest would either stay in my room or on a mattress in the sitting room.
    Thats seriously disrespectful and unreasonable for her to expect you to allow it and def grounds to move out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Op move out and tell her exactly why. Just because its her house does not mean anyone can stay in your room!! Thats appalling!

Advertisement