Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cows & slippery concrete

• 21-09-2011 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

well folks the milking parlour was built 16 years ago and at the time the concrete was purposly finished with a rough finish on the surface however with the passing of time, constant traffic and constant washing the surface has become very slippery and one or two of the cows have fallen on it with disasterous results. What could be done to prevent any more cows falling on it. would there be some sort of a product which could be applied to the concrete to give the cows grip on it?? open to all sugestions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

powerhose wrote: »
    well folks the milking parlour was built 16 years ago and at the time the concrete was purposly finished with a rough finish on the surface however with the passing of time, constant traffic and constant washing the surface has become very slippery and one or two of the cows have fallen on it with disasterous results. What could be done to prevent any more cows falling on it. would there be some sort of a product which could be applied to the concrete to give the cows grip on it?? open to all sugestions

Perhaps saw cut some grooves into it, but there is probably an easier way to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

There are concrete grooving services available that do this type of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭Good loser

Bizzum wrote: »

This is the only way to go. See ads in IFJ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

Bizzum wrote: »
    we hired out a machine from the local hire place that cuts into the concrete, cant remember the name, €25 for the machine for the day and gave local lad €60 for using it , problem sorted.Think its a machine thats used for getting concrete ready when there is concrete going down on top of old concrete.. worked well ans alot cheaper than getting the groovers in.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭raindodger

had the same problem cow falls trys to get up the next one walks on top of her.
    Got out the angle grinder with a stone disk cut two grooves about an inch apart came on with a block chisel and cut out the piece did this about every foot and ahalf along the parlour.Best thing i ever did

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

whelan1 wrote: »
    we hired out a machine from the local hire place that cuts into the concrete, cant remember the name, €25 for the machine for the day and gave local lad €60 for using it , problem sorted.Think its a machine thats used for getting concrete ready when there is concrete going down on top of old concrete.. worked well ans alot cheaper than getting the groovers in.

probaly a scrabler run by air compressor?

Dupont wrote: »
    this was a thing you pushed along and it scraped the top of the concrete , was quite heavy looked a bit like a whacker plate but had blades coming out of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

scrafier like the yoke they use before messing up resurfacing roads maybe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭Askim

also called a floor plainer, used one once to take hump out of a floor, can be set to take a small bit off, about a foot wide, make sure you get a wet one, dry it makes a lot of dust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

You Could look at rubber mats? Short term solution.

Expensive, and maybe not the best thing around a dairy farm. But maybe you only need to make a small areas safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Craggy Island

Hi all. I had a thread on here last year on the same problem. Title was 'Dangerously slippy slats'. Had various replies. I didn't come to a conclusion about it yet( though I should have.:(..). Met a Man at the ploughing from concretegrooving.ie I think it was called. I saw some photos of jobs he did. I'd have to see some of the slats he did coz with the photos he had of them, it was hard to tell if the cut done across the slat took a chip out of them or not. Could leave a rough edge for cows to walk on for the winter if a job wasn't done right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Hi all. I had a thread on here last year on the same problem. Title was 'Dangerously slippy slats'. Had various replies. I didn't come to a conclusion about it yet( though I should have.:(..). Met a Man at the ploughing from concretegrooving.ie I think it was called. I saw some photos of jobs he did. I'd have to see some of the slats he did coz with the photos he had of them, it was hard to tell if the cut done across the slat took a chip out of them or not. Could leave a rough edge for cows to walk on for the winter if a job wasn't done right.

I assume you considered rubber on the slats? Is it the cost that is prohibitive?

Yes Bizzum, it would be an ideal solution to the problem but it's for dairy cows I have, and with the existing difficulty of trying to get cows to lie on cubicles and potential teat damage from getting walked on, it wouldn't be a runner in my situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Are you not looking for trouble cutting or messing about with slats??

I'm no structural engineer, but cutting into them is surely weaking them and could induce stress cracks.

I think the general method I heard mentioned is a 5mm deep cut and 8 mm wide. I would certainly be concerned about the surface being hard on cows feet,however the slats are gang slats and apart from being slippery, look like new. I wouldn't be concerned about structural damage myself( though I could be wrong). I'll see if I can find the link to the previous thread from last year. There were opinions that you could brush in a chlorine water solution, to roughen up the surface, and then powerwash it.

This is the link to the old thread.
    .http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70026202

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭John_F

ring up your slat manufacturer and see is it safe, i know a farmer that done this and manufacturer told him go ahead. god a fella to grove it and other concrete (Jimme C), floors were done inch by inch squares and slats were done with oe cut parallel with the long holes in the slat. he said if he went across the length of the holes it would chip, he kept in a bit from the edge of the slat also to prevent chipping.ring up a few groovers and see what work they have done around the place! theres a different machine for tractor v cattle slats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

Met a Man at the ploughing from concretegrooving.ie I think it was called. .

I met him too, he is to come and give me a quote. Its all solid floors I'll be doing though

I met him too, he is to come and give me a quote. Its all solid floors I'll be doing though
    OUT OF INTEREST HOW MUCH IS HE? we did the milking parlour , collecting yard and 5 bay cubicle shed ourselves in a day with the machine we hired out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

OUT OF INTEREST HOW MUCH IS HE? we did the milking parlour , collecting yard and 5 bay cubicle shed ourselves in a day with the machine we hired out

I'll PM you when he comes, in a week or two he said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Dupont wrote: »

Whealan1 - Does this look like what you used?
    5%20Head%20Concrete%20Scrabbler.jpg
    MsSpacer.gif

5-Head Concrete Scrabbler
    Scrabbler is powered by tow-behind air compressor. Can remove up to 250 square feet of concrete per hour. Approximate weight is 120 lbs.
    Ideal for:
    • Removing spalling concrete
    • Roughening surfaces for new overlayments
    • Reducing high spots
    • Creating wheelchair access ramps
    • Removing epoxy
    • Creating slip-resistant surfaces
    • Texturing parking garage ramps
    • Removing loose or deteriorated concrete

The power of google:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

I was talking to him too and 4 euro a square meter he was quoting iirc

just do it wrote: »
    Whealan1 - Does this look like what you used?
    5%20Head%20Concrete%20Scrabbler.jpg
    MsSpacer.gif

5-Head Concrete Scrabbler
    Scrabbler is powered by tow-behind air compressor. Can remove up to 250 square feet of concrete per hour. Approximate weight is 120 lbs.
    Ideal for:
    • Removing spalling concrete
    • Roughening surfaces for new overlayments
    • Reducing high spots
    • Creating wheelchair access ramps
    • Removing epoxy
    • Creating slip-resistant surfaces
    • Texturing parking garage ramps
    • Removing loose or deteriorated concrete

The power of google:)
    yup thats it, thanks , wasnt as modern as that but did the job

Advertisement