Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

focus 1.4

• 22-09-2011 12:04am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 415 ✭✭

I've been offered a deal on an 06 focus 1.4 connection model from my local dealer. With a 1 year warranty. I had wanted a 1.6 diesel version, but as he says they are hard to come by in good condition at the right price.
    I need a car pretty fast, as I'm using a friends until Monday, and really not sure what to do.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 Ardiff

johnmck wrote: »
    I've been offered a deal on an 06 focus 1.4 connection model from my local dealer. With a 1 year warranty. I had wanted a 1.6 diesel version, but as he says they are hard to come by in good condition at the right price.
    I need a car pretty fast, as I'm using a friends until Monday, and really not sure what to do.

What ever you do, do NOT got for a 1.4 Focus. Absolutely rubbish cars..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,382 ✭✭✭Tefral

The 1.4 petrols wouldnt pull the socks off a dead man. In fact for over taking id consider them dangerous.

Not much goes wrong with them, very economical.. id hold out for the 1.6

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 415 ✭✭johnmck

cronin_j wrote: »
    The 1.4 petrols wouldnt pull the socks off a dead man. In fact for over taking id consider them dangerous.

Not much goes wrong with them, very economical.. id hold out for the 1.6

Thanks, that wad always on my mind, ill hold out then. I'm looking for a reliable, can't emphasis that enough after the last piece of Crap I baught, 1.6 new model tdci focus , 05 or 06

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

1.4 is dog slow but it is reliable. Still plenty of 1.6 petrol models about the place especially in top spec Ghia trim. Had a 2005 1.6 TDCi, great car but they are rare enough in that year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 415 ✭✭johnmck

I kind of back tracked on myself. I lowered my budget - gotta be careful with cash at minute!

So I've picked a few out...

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2449181

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2555476

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2551426

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2376991

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Ardiff wrote: »
    What ever you do, do NOT got for a 1.4 Focus. Absolutely rubbish cars..

Jeez, the hyperbole regarding the 1.4 Focus on here is laughable at times. Sure, they're not fast but to say they're dangerous when overtaking suggests to me that whoever is driving should not be overtaking in the first instance. I've driven a few, owned one, and yes, the 1.4 hasn't got much poke but it's a revvy and willing engine and if you are a sensible driver you won't have any worries overtaking safely. They're also superbly reliable cars and if, as you say OP, that you want reliability; then a petrol Focus is a great bet especially over a diesel one which, like all modern diesels, is a bit of a gamble. They're also one of the best designed cars out there in terms of handling, ergonomics and comfort. As a package the Focus is hard to fault and anyone calling them rubbish really is not worth listening to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

coolbeans wrote: »
    Jeez, the hyperbole regarding the 1.4 Focus on here is laughable at times. Sure, they're not fast but to say they're dangerous when overtaking suggests to me that whoever is driving should not be overtaking in the first instance. I've driven a few, owned one, and yes, the 1.4 hasn't got much poke but it's a revvy and willing engine and if you are a sensible driver you won't have any worries overtaking safely. They're also superbly reliable cars and if, as you say OP, that you want reliability; then a petrol Focus is a great bet especially over a diesel one which, like all modern diesels, is a bit of a gamble. They're also one of the best designed cars out there in terms of handling, ergonomics and comfort. As a package the Focus is hard to fault and anyone calling them rubbish really is not worth listening to.

That OP was a troll and is banned now. I agree with you though they might be on the slow side but they are reliable. If I was doing town/city driving it would be grand as you wouldnt need lots of power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

coolbeans wrote: »

Yeah I agree the 1.4 focus is a very reliable car. Can be driven through the gears if you need a bit of early poke. Not great from 55 to 75 mph but then again remember the speed limit in this country and the penalty points and the camera vans. Probably why they were for many years the best selling car in this country and there are still a hell of a lot of happy owners of this reliable car. However if you want a high performance car and need a few penalty points to go, then this is not the car for you.;)

Advertisement