Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeling guilty giving in notice

Options
  • 22-09-2011 12:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭

Iv just been offered a new job. Im in a new city and have been working in a job that i took just to have work when i first arrived. And i know deep down i dont see a future in.

now iv found a new job with better salary and better prospects, im feeling awfull about letting the first job down, even tho i know i work too hard for what im paid and over and extra time time for nothing.

its just one of thosejobs where they like dont always stick to being proffessional and i can see them not being to happy about myleaving. also im obliged to give a week notice as im still on probationary period.

anyone any tips too suggest how to approach it:o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I always feel guilty handing in my notice. :o I try and remember that if the situations were reversed most places would lay you off in a hearbeat so that loyalty might not always be returned!

My advice, do it in person, don't hand them a letter and run. I've always been up front, asked to speak to my manager in private and said something like I'm handing in my notice, I've been offered something in xyz. I just felt it was time to move on and try something new. I've really enjoyed my time here and I do feel sad to be leaving but I think this is the best thing for me at the moment. Even if I've hated the place, I say something along those lines. You don't want to burn your bridges.

Imo, it's harder to have a problem if you're completely matter of fact and up front about it.

I'm always nervous doing it though - you can't help but feel bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

As long as you have the second job offer in writing and have talked to the hiring manager and seen the new workplace and got a chance to see the other workers at their workplace, I'd say go talk to your present manager and tell him you are leaving for the new job. Tell him in a friendly and professional way and do not be tempted to tell your co-workers and the general public yet. Do not tell your customers until the last day you meet them and do not bad mouth the present job or boss to anyone, even if it is not the case it is better to come across as you making a "difficult" decision and how you will "miss" the old workplace even if you can't wait to get out of the place.

Do not burn bridges by annoying your present boss and work colleagues by staging a hostile or acrimonious departure.

If asked about your present job or work set-up in the new workplace be vague and neutral about it especially if you can't think of anything nice to say about it. In some sectors the competing bosses meet up for chats and any negative comments may be passed on to cause you trouble later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Don't feel guilty! You owe them nothing. Hand in your notice in person, thank them for the opportunity but say you've found something that is a good career move for you. Don't get drawn into any conversations about what any negative stuff about the current place.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I always feel bad leaving a job when I've got a decent boss. My routine is to ask to speak to them in private (they'll already guess something is up when you do this), and open with, "I've got some bad news", while grinning slightly.

The rest writes itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭Mc Kenzie

thanks guys for the advice. i told HER,,,by the way my manager is :rolleyes:.

Iwas up last night thinkingof different senariose of reasons i had to leavebut then i decided honesty was the best policy and i just did like your advise , and was upfront and honest, and it was fine.,,now all the staff know, word spreads quick...and weresuprised but encouraging...
    i suppose you have to take risks inorder to get somwhere,

heres hoping it goes well.:)

thanks again

• Advertisement
Advertisement