Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gemini B heat shield hatch.

Options
  • 22-09-2011 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭

The USAF Gemimi B had a crew hatch in the ablative heat shield.

Any guru's out there know how the hatch was sealed for re-entry? Did the ablative material melt over the hatch seam to create a completely sealed heat shield?

I understand that the purpose of the hatch was crew egress into the MOL during planned missions and after that when the mission was complete the hatch would be closed and not be used again. There is very little info on hatch seal design, although some photos show the hatch from inside the Gemini B.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

stoneill wrote: »
    The USAF Gemimi B had a crew hatch in the ablative heat shield.

Any guru's out there know how the hatch was sealed for re-entry? Did the ablative material melt over the hatch seam to create a completely sealed heat shield?

I understand that the purpose of the hatch was crew egress into the MOL during planned missions and after that when the mission was complete the hatch would be closed and not be used again. There is very little info on hatch seal design, although some photos show the hatch from inside the Gemini B.
    An interesting question. I always imagined it was sealed by the pressure and heat of reentry. However that is just my impression as I don't know but am inspired to research more:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Mr Marri

Found this photo...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sortingoutscience/1661101466/

Nice temp plots here (not sure if there relevant but a least give an order of mag)

http://gsil.engineering.uky.edu/projects/

My best guess is that if the hatch design allows that boundary layer to remain intact that any conducted heat could be handled by titaminum or SS. so all very doable

Advertisement