Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTEA plus registration fee from Maintenance Grant Question?

Options
  • 22-09-2011 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Wondering if anyone can clarify this for me?

I read on studentfinance that (although being on BTEA means I'm not entitled to full Maintenance Grant) I may still be entitled to Registration Fees via the Maintenance Grant. I followed this up by contacting someone in CDVEC who was very helpful and advised me on where to go to submit application etc.

However when i got to the grants section (to apply in person) I was told that because i'm in a PLC course (full-time 2yr HND) I wasn't entitled to Registration Fees support. :confused:

But the thing is this: The woman in there was almost too quick and dismissive in answering my questions and actually on a couple of points she was less informed than i was...which makes me wonder if she is wrong (as she had been on another point in relation to this). Also I was just speaking to someone else who like me is on BTEA and actually got both his BTEA and Registration Fees from VEC?

Can anyone shed some light on this?

I'd be grateful for any help here.

Thanks!
    Caesura

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

Second Level Option

Although you are not entitled to the maintenance component of the student grant, you must still submit a student grant application form to be assessed for a fee grant to pay your Student Contribution (formerly called the student services charge), field trip costs and tuition fees (if payable).

Taken from http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/BackToEducation/Pages/SecondLevelOption.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭caesura

Thanks L.T.L. - I'll follow that up...I know there was some reduction offered to BTEA students and Students with Medical Cards to have €200 subtracted from Registration Fees (or what my college call Registration Fees but the Grants place call general course fees) I wonder is that the same thing...saying that we didn't have to fill out any additional forms..so?

Advertisement