Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5in1 pole saws

Options
  • 22-09-2011 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,046 ✭✭✭✭

hi all
    im looking at buying a long reach 5-1 chain saw/trimmer/strimmer/brush cutter combo and wondered if anyone had advice or reconmendations about them. such as brands/ engine size or tips on what to look for
    cheers c

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭celticmicky

cjmc wrote: »
    hi all
    im looking at buying a long reach 5-1 chain saw/trimmer/strimmer/brush cutter combo and wondered if anyone had advice or reconmendations about them. such as brands/ engine size or tips on what to look for
    cheers c

You would be able to pick up a basic kit for around 300.00, it'll be chinese made for that kind of money, the likes of a Ryobi machine for example. They are not the most reliable but if it is domestic, infrequent use you should be fine.

If you wanted to go for something that will last you years I would go for Tanaka, every bit as good in quality as Stihl - only it is priced alot keener. The drawback of going for a better brand is they don't come in a complete kit, you buy the attachments on their own, each attachment can be priced at about 200.00 for the Tanaka and more for the Stihl.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

99 euro in Woodies for a Pro Lawn multi system (end of season sale)

Or about 90 euro in Lidl or Aldi (cant remember which one) for a FloraBest 5 in 1 system

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Stihl may seem expensive but it's cheap in the long run. My Stihl Combi has had a lot of use for many years & nothing has ever gone wrong. All of the attachments work superbly. There is a good service/parts network & nothing becomes obsolete.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

i would second the tanaka.i have one of their strimmers,beast of a machine and starts first time every time ,a pleasure to use

• Registered Users Posts: 14,046 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

thanks for the replies . does anyone know where in ireland sell them ???

• Advertisement

cjmc wrote: »
    thanks for the replies . does anyone know where in ireland sell them ???
    Where are you, I got mine in rathnew in county Wicklow. You can add attachments to it too but they are expensive the hedgecutter is 220 euro I think. You get a strummer head( lightweight) another head( heavyweight, serious cutting with this) and the brushcutter

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

A big thing to consider when buying machines like this is the balance of them and antivibe quality.The cheaper stuff has your hands and arms'pinging' after a very short length of time.

You can't go wrong with Stihl,Tanaka would be my next choice down the buget ladder.

aerosol wrote: »
    A big thing to consider when buying machines like this is the balance of them and antivibe quality.The cheaper stuff has your hands and arms'pinging' after a very short length of time.

You can't go wrong with Stihl,Tanaka would be my next choice down the buget ladder.

Excellent point. I strimmed my half acre with my father on laws b&q job and people were looking at me in the pub later that night as I couldn't even hold the glass steady as I went to drink from it
    I could strim all day with the tanaka no problem also it does it in 1/3 of the time due to the aluminium head which takes the much thicker gut and is lightning fast to change if you cut the gut

Advertisement