Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dungeons & Dragons Online ....?

Options
  • 22-09-2011 1:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭

:) Forgive my ignorance on this. Only, I wonder if anyone who's played this could just give me an idea what to expect, as regards to what buttons I'd need to press as I played, please?

I've played with a PS2 and get along with that control thingy. I've also played Evony, to the extent of building stuff, my moving my cursor and clicking. That's OK.

But, Runescape wrecked my head completely! I'm just not good with the up / down /left / right buttons on this key board.

Please don't snap at me to 'Just DL it and see!'. Evony. World of Tanks. That's some Gigabytes for one week! I don't want to flag myself to my ISP as a greedy user :(

Thanks for any input. Spent many a long and happy night, in a past life; Hacking and slashing as some dude hunched over a set of dice :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Wossack

from what I remember (I played it briefly a few years ago), its the fairly standard WASD controls - much like World of Tanks:
    w forward
    s backwards
    a strafe left (maybe turn left)
    d strafe right (^^ maybe turn right)

space jump
    then 1,2,3,4,5 etc for your skill usage

hold down rightclick and move your mouse to change your characters direction, and look around etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Ditch

Thanks for that, Wossack :) Completely alien to me. But, I guess I got the hang of the PS controls, at my age. So, I s'pose I'll get used to that too.

Perhaps, if I'm going out on Friday night, I'll set the system to down load ;)

Again though its been a few years, but I think those where the controls... pretty standard MMO type if I remember correctly. Will stand to you if you get them down, as they're used in tonnes of games :p

tbh I wasnt that impressed by it, and would rate lord of the rings online as being better (in the free to play bracket)

Argggh! LOTR? Am I the only person in the world who hasn't read it. Hasn't seen the films. Has absolutely no interest in it. In fact, finds the notion of 'cute' Hobbits a tad stomach turning? :D

I could just use a time sink, I guess. Tried Evony and actually thoroughly enjoyed it. Just pissing about, clicking here and there. Building stuff like Costain.

Then, that went tits up in short order and I had to bale out. Someone suggested WOT. Got that. Looked at it. Suspected it was another money leech and slung it.

Mate of mine's mad about Runescape. Here we go again ..... But, the control system there freaked me right out. And I didn't much enjoy rolling around some village, wondering what in hell I was about. Jacked.

Dunno. I don't know What I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

If you have trouble with looking about with a mouse try reversing the y-axis. A lot of people do and find it much easier.

• Advertisement

:confused: What is this " Y Axis " of which you speak ....?

Y-axis, is the forward/backward movement of your mouse.
    X-axis would be left/right.

I believe (and very much open to correction), that by default, in MMO's, the look up/down is similar to that of joysticks in flight simulators. As in, you push forward to look down (dive), and pull back to look up (climb). Some people like it, and some people dont :)

Wossack wrote: »
    As in, you push forward to look down (dive), and pull back to look up (climb).

Ahh! Now, explained like That? That I can get my head around :)

I might ~ or might not ~ be seeing my mate tonight. If so, he has massive hard drives and mega MB BB too. I'm wondering if he might be able to DL the D&D player for me and off load it onto this thing.

Circumnavigating all that band width usage and saving me hours into the bargain.

Either way, I think the only way I'll find what suits me is to actually Play the damn things. Ever sort myself out; Maybe I should buy a bloody great ExHDD next? Few Gigs of game does Nothing for this dinky, eight year old lap top! :o

Advertisement