Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

some street for c&c

• 22-09-2011 3:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

IMG_6136.jpg
    IMG_6145.jpg
    IMG_6362_2.jpg
    IMG_6408.jpg
    IMG_6415.jpg

all of these taken in Cork and surrounding areas! just looking for some feedback!

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

No 1. They've no legs and a big pile of empty space above them. The shot is very grey with no real blacks or highlights which makes the shot rather dull.

No. 2. Just too messy. What is the subject? If it's the guy walking past the beggar with his head down, then there is a shot there. Crop in to the important bit or get closer with your camera in the first place.

No. 3. Picture of a ladder? Just doesn't work.

No. 4. Random picture of a random person doing nothing particularly interesting against a rather uninteresting door. There is no story to it.

No. 5. Probably the best of the lot even though again it's rather flat. Bit of interaction going on with you and the subject.

All in all not a great set but fair play to you for trying what is quite a difficult task. Keep it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

There are two ways to do street ~ long tele and superwide ~ very little in between, except perhaps for the 50mm [or equiv] fixed lens.

I hate street, I lift my camera an all of Pana looks at me ~

I would echo the above post.

You'll see me from time to time cradling the camera and just clicking randomly at anything.

I going monochrome, one needs to be close up with wide and a gritty hard contrast image. Or the image needs to form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

gbee wrote: »
    There are two ways to do street ~ long tele and superwide ~ very little in between, except perhaps for the 50mm [or equiv] fixed lens.

regarding long tele , I dont see the point of having images shot from a distance, unknown to subject - my mantra is to get close , so if someone has a problem , they can approach you , and say delete or ask you what you are doing , (regardless of legal situation) -

Certainly the conscience is clearer , though sometimes it can be risky , and crtainly not for everyone - i do little of it now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

Agree with no1 too - missed the rule about cutting off people at their joints... Try crop that to be a square photo with the guys in the middle - i think that might look nice (actually 450px x 400px after a quick pbrush)

ladder shot might have made a bit more of a point if the painter was in focus rather than the ladder.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭BigDaddyCan

thanks for the feedback lads!

I'm using a nifty 50 and really just getting the hang of it!

I am fairly shy with the camera so 80% of the time most of these shots are taken on the move (hence the lack of any tangible framing)

at this stage I'm literally just walking around town with the cam and hoping for the best!

as one poster mentioned, trying to do this kind of thing in Cork is not easy! most people see a camera and run a mile!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I agree with 1st reply.
    @TheBaz- a lot of people think the same as you- that telezoom defeats the purpose of street photography. I think it does and doens't; it depends on what you want to achieve. Do you want photo of people in public. If a simple yes then tele works fine. It also gives you more time to get your settings right.

But for a lot of people this is like chess vs. draughts, driving an manual car vs. automatic. Getting close is totally different, it's certainly more challenging and will help your photography confidence and get more people noticing/challenging/talking to you. You only get one chance sometimes. Maybe this is what people like about street photography the 'close up' way.

For me I've only started my foray into street photography, I have a few photos in this thread about street photography. Currently I use a mix between tele and non.

Maybe as I delve more into it I'll try with shorter lenses and never look back. I suppose it is taking yourself out of your comfort zone and building a new skill/confidence.

Does it count as cheating if you ask them for permission to take their photo first? Even though there's no rules...

This was shot at 200mm, I dont' think I'd have gotten the same shot if I was closer.
    86DA9D431CC94DE5860BAFF37ABF9F5E-0000332953-0002537004-00800L-40A06CE82046425FB63CCDDD2F09CEE0.jpg

Advertisement