Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tyre clearance on Canyon Ultimate AL

• 22-09-2011 9:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭

Quick question for those of you who have this frame, is there enough clearance for a 25mm or even a 27mm tyre ? Cant find any info on this anywhere.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

There are a fair few Canyon owners over in Weight Weenies. You might get a better response over there. If not, well,.. bump!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

Cheers Lemag, I've heard they pack themselves away in the attic at this time of year ;)

I'll take a look at my size 52 CF when I get a chance (tomorrow evening). The geometry should be the same but the tube sizes probably differ. I run Conti GP4000 700x23 without clearance problems and they are considerably more bulbous than the 700x23 Michelin Pro 3 Grip which I have on my other bike.

Both bikes will surely be in a hibernative state shortly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Murph100 wrote: »
    Quick question for those of you who have this frame, is there enough clearance for a 25mm or even a 27mm tyre ? Cant find any info on this anywhere.

Cheers

Yep, it will take 25mm certaintly and possibly with thin guards as well (thats what I'm hoping). 27mm would be a stretch given their height, though I've never used 27mm.

BTW did you get the bike? Can't believe how light mine is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

Deadly !! I was kinda thinking about a cross bike but when I saw the reduced price of the Ultimate AL, I thought it might be a runner if I could 'winterise' it. Hence the wide tyres & maybe crudcatchers or similar.
    velo.2010 wrote: »
    Yep, it will take 25mm certaintly and possibly with thin guards as well (thats what I'm hoping). 27mm would be a stretch given their height, though I've never used 27mm.

BTW did you get the bike? Can't believe how light mine is!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Just checked, I reckon you could squeeze 28mm tyres on it, since they're not actually 28mm wide (26mm on Ultremos, for instance).

Murph100 wrote: »
    Deadly !! I was kinda thinking about a cross bike but when I saw the reduced price of the Ultimate AL, I thought it might be a runner if I could 'winterise' it. Hence the wide tyres & maybe crudcatchers or similar.
    AL 9.0? That'd be some winter bike.

Lemag wrote: »
    AL 9.0? That'd be some winter bike.

Here's mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Here's mine.

The clearance doesn't look that great. Are those 23s?

Lumen wrote: »
    The clearance doesn't look that great. Are those 23s?

Yep, 23mm, they came with the bike. I'd imagine I'll flog them as I'm looking to stick on 25mm Conti 4season for the winter. I have 23mm 4season and they are narrower than regular tyres ever so slightly(haven't got out the Vernier calipers).

Just wondering if I can get the guards on with 25mm. Might be tight at the rear. I plan on using the one bike from now on(with plenty of spares). You don't really care about having a second bike for winter after you've lay in the middle of a road surrounded by a few dozen people as an ambulance crew cut off your bibshorts!

• Advertisement
Advertisement