Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor roaming charges

Options
  • 21-09-2011 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi guys.Thought this might be the place for help.On the meteor network

Was recently in America for 2 weeks and i racked up an extremely high bill,€1740 to be exact.Mainly due to internet charges.I thought i would get a bill for maybe ´€300-400 which I would of paid but certinly not the €1740.I did not get a text message to say when I passed a certain amount(like normally they text to say you have charged €50 eg,and then they will text again to say you have passed €100).Do they have to text you?.Is there anyway I can get out of this,my contract has been canceled which was the expensive unlimited plan,I was payin about €95 a month including unlimited internet.

Any help is very much appreciated
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Unfortunately I do not think there is any EU Rules covering the United States.

IMO I alway buy a local sim and use a calling card service.

With a Sim and my Justvoip calling service, ringing an Irish Landline is the price of a local call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

There is a cap on data roaming that was introduced by the EU commission, but as far as I can see, this cap of €50 (ex VAT) only applies to roaming within the EU. When you roam outside of the EU, the foreign network can apply whatever charges they like. This is what you're paying.

You assumed the bill would be €300-400. Why would you assume that, and not actually check it out? When you roam with Meteor, you have to log on to a website to accept the roaming charges before you can use data roaming. Since you specifically accepted these charges, there is no way out of it.

When I was in the US earlier this year (and on Vodafone at the time), the charge for data was something like €5 for 50MB in one day, and then some astronomical charge for anything over that. I disabled data on the phone before I even went as I knew it wasn't going to be cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭java

I'm still amazed at the amount of people coming on here complaining about the cost of roaming data charges but not bothering to check beforehand how much it might cost. How can people be so naive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mexicanmullet

Hi DB888,

I'm in a similiar situation just wondering have you paid it?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭observer2u

jor el wrote: »
    When you roam with Meteor, you have to log on to a website to accept the roaming charges before you can use data roaming. Since you specifically accepted these charges, there is no way out of it.

I never had to log onto a website to accept any charges. What website is this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

When roaming in Europe when you first open your browser it should redirect to a website to accept T's & C's.

Outside Europe, your on your own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

java wrote: »
    I'm still amazed at the amount of people coming on here complaining about the cost of roaming data charges but not bothering to check beforehand how much it might cost. How can people be so naive?

yeah your right there, no offence to the OP but if your going abroad in particular outside the EU your asking for trouble using data, buy a local SIM or just use Internet cafes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Even local sims are dear there from a data roaming point of view maybe up to 80 dollars a month for unlimited data. 1700e is crazy though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭DB888

No I have not paid it yet but my local meteor dealer is working on it for me to try sort something out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭DB888

jor el wrote: »
    There is a cap on data roaming that was introduced by the EU commission, but as far as I can see, this cap of €50 (ex VAT) only applies to roaming within the EU. When you roam outside of the EU, the foreign network can apply whatever charges they like. This is what you're paying.

You assumed the bill would be €300-400. Why would you assume that, and not actually check it out? When you roam with Meteor, you have to log on to a website to accept the roaming charges before you can use data roaming. Since you specifically accepted these charges, there is no way out of it.

When I was in the US earlier this year (and on Vodafone at the time), the charge for data was something like €5 for 50MB in one day, and then some astronomical charge for anything over that. I disabled data on the phone before I even went as I knew it wasn't going to be cheap.

I dont need a lecture on it either,thanks.I asked for any advice on the situation.It was a mistake I made which I quickly realise when I returned home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

DB888 wrote: »
    I dont need a lecture on it either,thanks.I asked for any advice on the situation.It was a mistake I made which I quickly realise when I returned home

It doesn't sound like you're getting a lecture. You even say here it was a mistake you made. Why should Meteor have to do anything? You used the phone, didn't check the charges and now don't want to pay.
    It sucks but maybe next time you won't make the same mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ashee20

I'm in a similar situation with meteor roaming charges. When i was connecting to free wifi abroad in thailand, appartently if it cant connect properly my HTC phone will automaticlly look for another network and connect to that, therefore i have been charged 972 euro of a bill for internet.
    Also i was told by meteor staff that i would receive mgs regarding my bill usage and if i go over this usage even when im outside the eu. I have been fighting this bill with meteor since June and they have taken there time to get back to me.
    It's still on going and when i went in yesterday to pay the stupid bill, they have now cancelled my account and charged me an extra cancellation fee.
    My new bill is 1333!!!!!! :mad:
    The meteor staff gave me wrong information and now I'm paying for it.
    It's also so unfair that they cancelled my account when the problem was still on going.

Anyone have the same problem. Wish my stupid phone didnt automaticlly update things.
    Wish i was told when i bought the phone that this could happen.

Advertisement