Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moar anti-gaming propaganda !

Options
  • 22-09-2011 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/15002820

"going for the stab button if someone is in your way. I can imagine if you played it even more than I do, it could be a problem."

"Grand Theft Auto 4 came out and I got it for my birthday. ... I went outside one day and I had this sudden urge to punch everyone and steal all their money and cars and stuff."

This propaganda is getting more frequent. Cant remember how many times I heard the "Grand theft auto made me do it" story.

So... my hypothesis is ... more of this non sense will fill the public's minuscule brains over a very long period of time and a political decision will be made bringing down the ban hammer on gaming !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Sesudra

Ah here! Is that article a Brass Eye style hoax? "Playing Assassins Creed made me want to run up buildings *tee hee*"

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I regularly see health bars over people, and if i dont get a conversation wheel when talking to someone, i know they're not important. It's actually quite useful.

Stupid article is stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Media will always need something to blame other than lackadaisical parents. Video games are just the easiest target because it's an interactive medium instead of just observing. I wish retailers and parents would actually heed to the age limits of modern video games.

My friends cousin (around ten) is playing games like Dead Space, FEAR, GoW, etc and I'm biting my tongue as you can't say anything in case you incur the wrath of a parent. Pleasing their child or otherwise, they're still in the wrong buying these games for such a youngling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

It's just the 2000's version of hidden messages in songs, the media is making us so paranoid on everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

If I think someone is lying I tend to start screaming at them and accusing them of murder...I did hear an off tone though just before I started :(

🤪

• Advertisement

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    If I think someone is lying I tend to start screaming at them and accusing them of murder...I did hear an off tone though just before I started :(

I just shoot them in the face. Easier that way, and you get more exp.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i dunno, when i was playing lots of starcraft in the evenings I'd go to bed thinking in build orders

i dunno, when i was playing lots of starcraft in the evenings I'd go to bed thinking in build orders

Everytime I read your username I have the slurred jingle in my head. :pac:

Yeah, I'm now afraid of getting an arrow in the back when the sun goes down. Bloody minecraft! And if I hear a hissing noise? You betcha that bed has some fresh pee stains!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Sesudra wrote: »
    Ah here! Is that article a Brass Eye style hoax? "Playing Assassins Creed made me want to run up buildings *tee hee*"

I suffered from this for a bit. Then I realised I had insufficient upper body strength and Italian vocabulary to make it happen.

But I'm failing to see why people are getting so goddamn butthurt, I'd go as far to say most people who play a certain game for prolonged periods of time, as most of the people interviewed said they did, would encounter this phenomenon.

But it wasn't about how games are so awesome so I guess it must be "anti-gaming propaganda".

But I'm failing to see why people are getting so goddamn butthurt, I'd go as far to say most people who play a certain game for prolonged periods of time, as most of the people interviewed said they did, would encounter this phenomenon.

Ah come on. Most people don't get this. Most people who play games for prolonged periods of time might think "wouldn't it be cool if i could do that like in the game" and not "i think i'll actually do that like i did in the game". There's a big difference.

417.gif

If someone actually starts to think that they can parkour their way up a building after playing Assassins Creed...well, then they're ****ing retarded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,330 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I remember after a mamoth COD session a couple of years ago, leaving the house and seeing a helicopter hovering above. I stopped for a second wondering how I could get my rocket launcher out.

If you spend a prolonged amount of time doing anything, it'll linger with you mentally for a while afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Its like the time I tried to use the force to get the TV remote from the ground without getting out of bed.

All those stories just sound like they are people using their imagination when did that become a bad thing.

Although I remember after playing Resi 4 for AGES I kept looking up in to trees for nests to shoot. I'm sure I looked very strange (more so).

Kiith wrote: »
    Ah come on. Most people don't get this.
    I remember after a mamoth COD session a couple of years ago, leaving the house and seeing a helicopter hovering above. I stopped for a second wondering how I could get my rocket launcher out.
    Its like the time I tried to use the force to get the TV remote from the ground without getting out of bed.
    chin_grin wrote: »
    Although I remember after playing Resi 4 for AGES I kept looking up in to trees for nests to shoot. I'm sure I looked very strange (more so).

It seem's i stand corrected :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Kiith wrote: »
    Ah come on. Most people don't get this. Most people who play games for prolonged periods of time might think "wouldn't it be cool if i could do that like in the game" and not "i think i'll actually do that like i did in the game". There's a big difference.

That pretty much what the study was getting at, there is no stopping a few journalist from cherrypicking to suit their agenda though.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-09-21-game-transfer-phenomena-authors-defence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

There's a difference between being involved with a medium for a long time, so your brain goes a bit funny and actually thinking that the game (or whatever) is real.

I couldn't sleep last night, so I watched quite a lot of Star Trek. Between the sleep deprivation and the exposure to Captain Picard, this morning I half-thought that I had a food replicator in my kitchen.

However, I didn't get upset because my microwave didn't produce coffee suddenly, or that doors didn't slide open with a soothing whirr.

The immersion is just a little easier with games, you're actually on control of events, and can play for far longer than most people could tolerate watching a tv show.
    If you did ANYTHING for 12 hours constantly, you would become slightly off-kilter. If someone watched a cat for 12 hours, I'll bet that they'd think about licking themselves instead of a shower and start trying to sleep under a radiator.

Captain's log, Star Date :pac:

I did hide in a box like Solid Snake does to scare a friend of mine," said Adrian, 21.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I remember I came out after a 14 hour Battlefield 2 Lan and as I was driving my car I remember I was checking for landmines...I was just still in game mode :)
    Lads had a great laugh about it as they were in the back seat wondering why I was peering down at the ground.

marco_polo wrote: »
    That pretty much what the study was getting at, there is no stopping a few journalist from cherrypicking to suit their agenda though.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-09-21-game-transfer-phenomena-authors-defence

I was going to say that the interesting area would be where what games allow you to do has a significant overlap with the real world - the guy who tried to transplant his FIFA skills into the real world might only end up making a tit of himself, but it might be less comical in other scenarios.

I did hide in a box like Solid Snake does to scare a friend of mine," said Adrian, 21.:D

http://kotaku.com/5356261/metal-gear-style-cardboard-box-prison-escape

^_^

(Sorry I can't paste the full story as gaming sites are blocked in work. Aw).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I was going to say that the interesting area would be where what games allow you to do has a significant overlap with the real world - the guy who tried to transplant his FIFA skills into the real world might only end up making a tit of himself, but it might be less comical in other scenarios.

well that guy recently did train for his mass shooting using fps games

oh yeah, Anders Brevik.

Yea but that guy is a retard

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

A study group of 42 'volunteers' self reporting, no control group and BS claims like one of of them reaching for the reverse time button when he drops his sandwich because of playing sands of time too much. Don't expect this to get published except in the crappiest of journals. All it is is terrible research but of course the media will jump on anything that can push their agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Everytime I hear someone say they were addicted to a game it really bugs me (like the guy the BBC quoted as being addicted to GTA4).

You can't be addicted to games, there is no scientific evidence it changes your brain chemistry outside of when you are actually playing. Yet if a few teenagers say they're "like sooooooooo addicted to COD" or whatever it's somehow evidence of a problem and can be quoted as such in the media.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    A study group of 42 'volunteers' self reporting, no control group and BS claims like one of of them reaching for the reverse time button when he drops his sandwich because of playing sands of time too much. Don't expect this to get published except in the crappiest of journals. All it is is terrible research but of course the media will jump on anything that can push their agenda.

Except It's not terrible research, it's a perfectly good basis for a hypothesis, which is why there is being a second study done.
    It's been badly misreported but that's about it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

The media industry are afraid of the upward trend of gaming as people's preferred method of entertainment, hence scathing it whenever possible.

/argument :P

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭n0irin

I'd like to read the actual study that this article is describing. I have heard a lot of people saying that when they stop a long gaming session, they have a short period of disconnect where they go to do something their character would/could, only to realise they're not still playing the game - the important distinction there is that they don't actually believe that they can physically do it, or - in the case of GTA's punching people/stealing cars - they don't actually go and do it, once they think for a second!

penev10 wrote: »
    You can't be addicted to games, there is no scientific evidence it changes your brain chemistry outside of when you are actually playing. Yet if a few teenagers say they're "like sooooooooo addicted to COD" or whatever it's somehow evidence of a problem and can be quoted as such in the media.

Actually there are a lot of people doing research on addiction to games, and it does seem like quite a real phenomenon in *extreme* cases. I mean, if you can get addicted to gambling, then why can't you get addicted to a game? It's not chemical addiction as it would be to drugs, but it's still addiction.
    In South Korea, there are plenty of rehab centres which deal with gaming addiction, as it's pretty common there.

There will be a definition included in the new edition DSM of Mental Disorders in 2013 of internet addiction, and I've heard that there will be a footnote in there about gaming addiction. It's not being recognised yet as a specific psychological disorder in itself, as distinct from internet addiction, but even a mention of it in an appendix shows something.

I'll admit that it's not as common as people say, and it's only in extreme cases. As you say, tons of gamers say "Aww, I'm so addicted to <insert game here>" and they're just exaggerating, but it does happen to some. That doesn't mean that the media should listen to all of those people who are exaggerating long periods of game play and enjoyment into addiction, and blow it out of all proportion, but somehow they keep doing it.

Retr0gamer wrote: »

The researcher done it as a light hearted study though not as a games are bad one, he even slags of the idiot reporters for misrepresenting it. Reading the report it really does come across as a "its funny the way people think" study rather than a this is harming our kids one. He even said his own 7 year old plays games but knows the difference between reality and fiction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I think stories like this are kind of a right of passage for journalists. Like 'fluffy kitten up a tree' or 'panda giving birth' stories. This is never the kind of story they give to established journalists like Kate Adie or Robert Fisk. It's always the office junior/just graduated from journalism school nobodies who author these kinds of fluff articles.

Having said that, if you play a video game intensely for long hours or over the course of an extended period of time it can slightly affect you. There's a massive leap between that temporary glitch and being unable to tell what's real and what isn't.

Advertisement