Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moar anti-gaming propaganda !

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

The very fact some people didnt get the sarcasm in my post just shows a genral lack of awareness, maybe you are the people these age ratings are aim towards, as for me well I grew up when games didnt have age restrictons and I have enough cop-on to actually play the games fully before deciding if they are alright for my son, no I dont let him play online, as I cancelled my xbox live because of all the annoying kids online(hence my dig at the game and about it being made for kids), My son knows the diffrence between games and reality, for him COD is just as doom or CS was for me when I was young and a world away from the horror of Dead space which would give adults nightmares, letting him live in a fantasy world in my opinon is damaging and has bad effects on people, they grow up very nieve and then try to force these ideals on others;) so I tell him like it is, he knows that meat comes from animals that have been killed for our plates and if he crosses the road by himself he might die, there are things you need to sheild your kids from but that is up to the parent and not blindly what the state says is right or wrong. All my brothers grew up watching me play resident evil and such games with no ill effects. BTW saying "Im sorry, But.." before insulting some one is stupid.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I'm kinda surprised that graphics haven't been mentioned here. Raze mentioned playing MK games as a kid (as did I, but I was a bit older than 5 at the time) for example. But the difference between games then and games now is simply phenomenal. If I had a kid, I'd probably jam on the old MK games with him. We'd chuckle about busting each other, and land a few fatalities for good measure. However, I wouldn't let him near the latest edition of the game, because it's insanely graphic, and simply too much for a young kid, in my opinion. Just an example, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

The very fact some people didnt get the sarcasm in my post just shows a genral lack of awareness, maybe you are the people these age ratings are aim towards, as for me well I grew up when games didnt have age restrictons and I have enough cop-on to actually play the games fully before deciding if they are alright for my son, no I dont let him play online, as I cancelled my xbox live because of all the annoying kids online(hence my dig at the game and about it being made for kids), My son knows the diffrence between games and reality, for him COD is just as doom or CS was for me when I was young and a world away from the horror of Dead space which would give adults nightmares, letting him live in a fantasy world in my opinon is damaging and has bad effects on people, they grow up very nieve and then try to force these ideals on others;) so I tell him like it is, he knows that meat comes from animals that have been killed for our plates and if he crosses the road by himself he might die, there are things you need to sheild your kids from but that is up to the parent and not blindly what the state says is right or wrong. All my brothers grew up watching me play resident evil and such games with no ill effects. BTW saying "Im sorry, But.." before insulting some one is stupid.:cool:

The very fact that you allow your son, who is five, to play a game directed at 18's baffles me. Father of the year.

Let me spell that out again. Your son: 5, the rating of the game you're allowing him to play: 18. That's a mighty big gap.

I don't think anyones getting my point either.

People keep using comparisons of watching old violent cartoons and movies and growing up fine.

These are one sided. We view, we do not interact.

Violent video games are the only medium where we are put in the role of the doer this is why if you let a young mind witness this sort of violence while still in it's development stages you are doing more harm than good and desensitizing him.

Also I've removed the "I'm sorry but", I'm not sorry.

EDIT: Also as a friendly tip, update your facebook privacy settings. ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The graphics in games today are going to look laughable in 5 years time as well. We haven't come close to photorealism and probably never will.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The graphics in games today are going to look laughable in 5 years time as well. We haven't come close to photorealism and probably never will.

No, but it's still "real" enough.

• Advertisement

deathrider wrote: »

It's still real to me dammit! :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Back in 1993 I thought games couldn't get anymore real looking than mortal kmombat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

I'm kinda surprised that graphics haven't been mentioned here. Raze mentioned playing MK games as a kid (as did I, but I was a bit older than 5 at the time) for example. But the difference between games then and games now is simply phenomenal. If I had a kid, I'd probably jam on the old MK games with him. We'd chuckle about busting each other, and land a few fatalities for good measure. However, I wouldn't let him near the latest edition of the game, because it's insanely graphic, and simply too much for a young kid, in my opinion. Just an example, though.
    Indeed. There's something comical about watching a crude assortment of pixels rip each other apart a la Itchy and Scratchy. But now with MK8 and Gears of War we can see every little bit of bone and sinew in gory detail. It just isn't the same and it's not a fair juxtaposition at all.

It's not all about just distinguishing reality from fiction either. It's not really good to be so desensitised to violence at such a young age.

Mindkiller wrote: »
    Chin wag is just funny so I wont even respond to it and it is sad you went looking for my facebook.

It's not all about just distinguishing reality from fiction either. It's not really good to be so desensitised to violence at such a young age.

it works the other way also, its no good being over sensitive to what I would call "cartoon violence" in video games, some games yes but as I said before I will be judge of that, I remember a kid in 5th class that had to be removed because we were watching Ghost busters the animation and he got freaked out, obviously his parents were over protective. Yeah my son does play football has a friend a year younger who got him into COD and they both are as happy to play Mario as COD. Like I said I know whats best for my family and have no problem with him playing COD or metal gear, I would have a problem with him playing the new MK, GTA or Dead space as in my view it is inappropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,072 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Buying an 18 or 16 rated game for a 5 year old is stupid. I didn't mean to offend you, thats why i said "No offence, but..". I was stating you're an idiot because you are. I couldn't care less that you played the game beforehand and decided it was ok for your son to play. There are age ratings on games for reasons a panel of professionals have decided. It's not an indication, it's reason. No one 5 years of age, should be playing CoD.

Also, as someone said above, whats not appropriate about bashing square to pull a spec ops knife out of your chest and flinging it into the eye of the other guy? Whats not appropriate about gunning down hundreds of innocent people in an airport?

• Advertisement

Buying an 18 or 16 rated game for a 5 year old is stupid. I didn't mean to offend you, thats why i said "No offence, but..". I was stating you're an idiot because you are. I couldn't care less that you played the game beforehand and decided it was ok for your son to play. There are age ratings on games for reasons a panel of professionals have decided. It's not an indication, it's reason. No one 5 years of age, should be playing CoD.

Also, as someone said above, whats not appropriate about bashing square to pull a spec ops knife out of your chest and flinging it into the eye of the other guy? Whats not appropriate about gunning down hundreds of innocent people in an airport?

you sir are the idiot for blindly assuming that a panel of individuals that probably know very little about the material are giving it a rating based on their own prejudices and that they know whats better for you than you do. This is the reason the Germans and Australians are denied certain games where as the rest of the world are not. Does this mean the people of Australia and Germany are more fragile than the rest of us, no but it is idiots decided that the public of their receptive country can not handle a little computer generated violence. Age ratings on games have always in the past just been guidelines for adults who are not in the know and have only in recent years become an official pegi system. I have played games since I was 3 years old, watched horror films my whole life starting with old black and white WB films and then moving onto Alien, when I was in 2nd class everyone was talking about Freddy and I didnt know who that was but I soon found out. You can agree or disagree all you want as I find it interesting to hear what small things can offend some people. Every game has killing in it, from Mario to streets of Rage but as my son said today, you are not killing people in the game you are killing bad guys.

you sir are the idiot for blindly assuming that a panel of individuals that probably know very little about the material are giving it a rating based on their own prejudices and that they know whats better for you than you do. This is the reason the Germans and Australians are denied certain games where as the rest of the world are not. Does this mean the people of Australia and Germany are more fragile than the rest of us, no but it is idiots decided that the public of their receptive country can not handle a little computer generated violence. Age ratings on games have always in the past just been guidelines for adults who are not in the know and have only in recent years become an official pegi system. I have played games since I was 3 years old*, watched horror films my whole life starting with old black and white WB films and then moving onto Alien, when I was in 2nd class everyone was talking about Freddy and I didnt know who that was but I soon found out. You can agree or disagree all you want as I find it interesting to hear what small things can offend some people. Every game has killing in it, from Mario to streets of Rage but as my son said today, you are not killing people in the game you are killing bad guys.

*So the terrible parenting perpetuates.

I've two words for you "No, Russian".

Did your five year old walk through an airport brandishing a semi-automatic weapon and point it at innocent civilians. Were you there beside him going "It's ok son, they're all bad guys. Wearing plain clothes going about their business, but they're really bad guys <wink wink>".

Wake the f*ck up! Also please heed the "M" rating at the start.

Also let me repeat my opinion that your lack of punctuation and RTE "skills" seem to be missing.

Films are one-way, old video game violence was cartooney and not as realistic as it is today.

What if I reported this to Child Services, I wonder what they'd make of it. Think about that.

chin_grin wrote: »
    *So the terrible parenting perpetuates.

I've two words for you "No, Russian".

Did your five year old walk through an airport brandishing a semi-automatic weapon and point it at innocent civilians. Were you there beside him going "It's ok son, they're all bad guys. Wearing plain clothes going about their business, but they're really bad guys <wink wink>".

Wake the f*ck up! Also please heed the "M" rating at the start.

Also let me repeat my opinion that your lack of punctuation and RTE "skills" seem to be missing.

Films are one-way, old video game violence was cartooney and not as realistic as it is today.

What if I reported this to Child Services, I wonder what they'd make of it. Think about that.

No he didnt, he was in my sitting room the whole time, are you sure you know where you are, you know this is reality right and not some game...:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

No he didnt, he was in my sitting room the whole time, are you sure you know where you are, you know this is reality right and not some game...:pac:

Why don't you show The Human Centipede and A Serbian Film to him as well? They're not reality either. They're rated 18, too.

I knew what I was getting into when I made my first comment, different upbringings(I had a good one) but if you read my posts you will see I made some very good points. Glad some people had the common sense to discuss it like adults and others well. sheep will be sheep. Have fun kids I have said all i need to here.

I knew what I was getting into when I made my first comment, oh well sheep will be sheep, different upbringings(I had a good one) but if you read my posts you will see I made some very good points. Have fun kids.

Not saying you didn't (regarding upbringing, not your points), each to their own. Just think that the fact you subjected a five year old to horrendous participatory violence a little too early. Like your own parents did with you. That's all. Something you don't seem to comprehend therefore sarcastically swat away and take some faux moral high road.

Good luck with that when your son has violent mood swings later in life and an annoying "holier than thou" attitude. Boy his teens are gonna be b!tchin'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

First time I watched the 'No russian' level. Pretty brutal stuff. I personally wouldn't want a 5 year old to play through that. The context is clearly that you're undercover with terrorists but I wouldn't expect someone so young to pick up on that. Just makes it look like killing innocents is good sport.

The section in general looks pretty terrible. Maybe it makes more sense when you play the game but to me it looks like Infinity Ward are deliberately trying to be as potent and shocking as possible.

I knew what I was getting into when I made my first comment, different upbringings(I had a good one) but if you read my posts you will see I made some very good points. Glad some people had the common sense to discuss it like adults and others well. sheep will be sheep. Have fun kids I have said all i need to here.

This kinda sh1te really pisses me off. People never seem to be able to say "We'll agree to disagree then. See ya later". Nope, it's always this uppity crap. Mention discussin it like adults and then leave on a childish note? Good man :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

This kinda sh1te really pisses me off. People never seem to be able to say "We'll agree to disagree then. See ya later". Nope, it's always this uppity crap. Mention discussin it like adults and then leave on a childish note? Good man :rolleyes:

Honestly, welcome to the internet.

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Honestly, welcome to the internet.

I know, it's par of the course and all that craic, but it still really pisses me off sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I used to hate walking by CCTV cameras thanks to goldeneye, I never had my silenced pistol with me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

The very fact that you allow your son, who is five, to play a game directed at 18's baffles me. Father of the year.

Let me spell that out again. Your son: 5, the rating of the game you're allowing him to play: 18. That's a mighty big gap.

I don't think anyones getting my point either.

People keep using comparisons of watching old violent cartoons and movies and growing up fine.

These are one sided. We view, we do not interact.

Violent video games are the only medium where we are put in the role of the doer this is why if you let a young mind witness this sort of violence while still in it's development stages you are doing more harm than good and desensitizing him.

Age rating system is a guide. A parent who shows a sufficient interest in what their kid is playing should be able to deviate from this prescribed guide.

Afaik, no good study has ever suggested that the interactive nature of games makes them any more influential to behaviour than more passive media. I've heard suggestions to the contrary - that having to interact breaks any trance-like effect that a more passive media might have.

Desensitizing someone to virtual violence is only a problem if it can be demonstrated to cause actual harm outside of a virtual environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,072 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Fnz wrote: »
    Age rating system is a guide. A parent who shows a sufficient interest in what their kid is playing should be able to deviate from this prescribed guide.

Afaik, no good study has ever suggested that the interactive nature of games makes them any more influential to behaviour than more passive media. I've heard suggestions to the contrary - that having to interact breaks any trance-like effect that a more passive media might have.

Desensitizing someone to virtual violence is only a problem if it can be demonstrated to cause actual harm outside of a virtual environment.

We're getting into a whole different ball game here. Fact of the matter is that he allowed his 5 year old son to play a game meant for people 3times+ his age. He may not have seen any harm in it, but unless he has a degree in child psychology (and if you have, Chris, i still don't retract any previous comment), thats a blatently stupid move. What will it teach him? That it's ok to play games that are 18's that include killing innocent people in it, but not to play 18's games set in a obviously fictional realm and kill other "people" who look like lizards, monsters and shadows, ie: you're only allowed to play the realistic violent games. Not a good thing to be teaching a 5 year old.

@Chris: If you're referring to me as the "sheep being sheep", then i'll agree with you on this one, i am a sheep following the herd, but for once the herd is actually right, that is the herd who know it's just wrong to let a 5 year old play CoD. Just wrong. And calling you an idiot isn't being childish, it's stating fact.

And the crowd who deciede on the age ratings, while they may not be people who actually play the games, they decide on a number of factors which include psychological reports. A game is rated 18's because it contains many of the factors which would effect young people. And i do believe we have one of the best boards for this kind of thing? In contrast to the countries you mention, we're getting a lot more than them, so does that not mean our ratings board are already more liberal? Or would you prefer all games to have no age ratings, then your young fella could buy Dead Space or MK and play it without you having to OK the violence first?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Isn't there a study that says people in prison are likely to have played a video game on atleast one occasion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Apologies if already posted, but much more even handed article in the Guardian

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2011/sep/22/game-transfer-phenomena?newsfeed=true

I certainly have experienced GTP as they call it, for example I once broke a glass in my kitchen and my first response was "Reload save game".

I don't think this is particularly surprising, games are simulations. We expect a pilot to train in a virtual cockpit in order to instinctively know what to do if his engine explodes in mid flight, it shouldn't be surprising that we have initial thoughts that relate to the games we play. It is of course a far cry from a complete detachment from reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Isn't there a study that says people in prison are likely to have played a video game on atleast one occasion?

Isn't everyone likely to have played a video game on at least one occasion?

Or was that your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Good luck with that when your son has violent mood swings later in life and an annoying "holier than thou" attitude. Boy his teens are gonna be b!tchin'.

Any evidence that playing violent video games at a young age will give his kid violent mood swings later in life, its a pretty serious claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

Mindkiller wrote: »
    First time I watched the 'No russian' level. Pretty brutal stuff. I personally wouldn't want a 5 year old to play through that. The context is clearly that you're undercover with terrorists but I wouldn't expect someone so young to pick up on that. Just makes it look like killing innocents is good sport.

The section in general looks pretty terrible. Maybe it makes more sense when you play the game but to me it looks like Infinity Ward are deliberately trying to be as potent and shocking as possible.
    It's 18s for a reason...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

LiamN wrote: »
    It's 18s for a reason...

What's that supposed to mean? Have you read Mindkiller's post in context?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

LiamN wrote: »
    It's 18s for a reason...

Well, we have some superparents here, who think that that level was perfectly suitable to show to five year olds.

Advertisement