Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HELP - Engine feels like its going to cut out when stopped at lights

• 22-09-2011 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi,

I have currently have a problem with my Toyota. its an automatic and when i start it and put it into gear it feels as if it is going to cut out and the rev counter jumps up and down. when i drive it, its ok for a while but then when i slow down or come to a set of traffic lights it struggles to gain any power. Was told that it could be the O2 sensor which apparently has 4 wires on it and this controls the fuel going into the engine and this could be faulty. Was also mentioned that it could be the induction part of the engine after the exhaust?. can anyone give me advise on what they think it could be, should i just get it hooked up to a computer or would that be a waste of time. if its a small part maybe i can fit it myself.

thanks

UN

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Do the revs only bounce when you put it in gear?
    What year / model is the car?

Sounds ignition related to me, leads, coil (s), distributor.
    It's essentially a Gen5 Celica (booted rather than hatch) you have I think, is it a 3SGE engine in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 UN Ops Cyprus

Hi,

Yes thats exactly it when i put the car in gear the rev's go right down and it feels as if it will conk out which it does sometimes. car is a Toyota Curren which is like a Celica except a different front. ST206 Model. what causes it to do that?

thanks

UN

1996 Toyota Curren ST206

31947_1439595506067_1118412460_31276644_4402290_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

It could be the idle valve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭rich1874

Do you smell burning at anytime? Could be a cracked head gasket... if it's something as simple as a faulty plug or igniter then you'll be very lucky.

yes i do smell burning after a while, does this mean it is the Gasket?. i had this checked a while ago and they are fine. is the Ide Valve expensive to replace?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭✭heate

This is the car your planning on shipping from Cyprus to Ireland ?

heate wrote: »
    This is the car your planning on shipping from Cyprus to Ireland ?

Unless he has a 2nd one of them that's a reasonable assumption you are making :pac:

Yes...the problem only started 2 days ago...i think maybe to get rid of it here however if i bring it with me i know i have only this issue to fix. depends on how big the problem is.

• Advertisement

my main point is that i know the car and if its not a costly problem then maybe it would make sense to bring it with me then to buy another 2nd hand in Ireland and i wouldnt know what problems it would develop down the road!!

You'd buy a decent 3SGE powered Celica over here for less than €2000 :)

31947_1439595346063_1118412460_31276640_4967787_n.jpg

31947_1439595306062_1118412460_31276639_3476063_n.jpg

Advertisement