Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Authenticity

• 22-09-2011 9:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

quick question in relation to a couple of watches that are coming up for auction shortly and I'm a bit dubious about the authenticity of them. I have emailed yesterday the auction house asking whether they are "sold as seen" or do they do anything to determine authenticity before listing in their auctions?
    I know there are fees and charges to go onto the estimates/actual final price but I'm still a bit cautious. Haven't heard anything back from the auction house yet.

1. Vintage Omega Seamaster (looks like no box or paperwork) Est €200-300
    9264_042.jpg

2. Omega Railmaster (again looks like ne box/paperwork) Est €300-400
    2675_234.jpg

3. Graham Chrono Fighter (looks to have some paperwork) Est €250-350
    4127_237.jpg

Have never bought this way before so looking for feedback if anybody else has. Am I covered in the event of buying something and it turns out to be a fake etc? I know there are some bloody good fakes out there but at least two of these are of a vintage when there wasn't so many around!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

if they are genuine they are going very cheap...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Homer

Cyrus wrote: »
    if they are genuine they are going very cheap...

Thanks Cyrus, that's what I thought too but will wait to hear back from the auctioneers. I guess it's not in their interest to sell fake/replica watches but I want to err on the side of caution.
    If I recognise any of you at the auction trying to bid me up there'll be trouble :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Homer wrote: »
    Thanks Cyrus, that's what I thought too but will wait to hear back from the auctioneers. I guess it's not in their interest to sell fake/replica watches but I want to err on the side of caution.
    If I recognise any of you at the auction trying to bid me up there'll be trouble :D

lol

i must say youve piqued my interest :P

there are some nice ladies rolexs there too :o

Cyrus wrote: »
    lol

i must say youve piqued my interest :P

there are some nice ladies rolexs there too :o

Noooooo.. There's a misprint and the auction is actually the following week ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Seems a bit fishy to me. They have a few older Tags on there for €350-€400, and then a far more desirable Mercedes-Benz SLR model for €150 :confused:
    Where do they get their suggested selling prices from? Are they based on their own appraisal, or on what the seller would like to achieve?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Anyone post a link?

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Anyone post a link?

Nothing to see here.. Move along now :D

It's O Reilly Auctioneers who have been around since 1948 so that's why I am a bit doubtful as to whether they would pass off fakes intentionally? I have mailed them but no response yet. Will post back if I hear back from them. Hands off the omegas right :o

Some nice stuff I'd imagine they are just pricing them low to get more interest. Couple of big Oris pieces too. Good luck in the bidding. The Omega on black strap is beautiful.

They have a preview on Sunday and again on Tuesday so I'll make it to Sunday's viewing hopefully and try get some better pics (if allowed) and more info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭marcus1971

Hi all,

quick question in relation to a couple of watches that are coming up for auction shortly and I'm a bit dubious about the authenticity of them. I have emailed yesterday the auction house asking whether they are "sold as seen" or do they do anything to determine authenticity before listing in their auctions?
    I know there are fees and charges to go onto the estimates/actual final price but I'm still a bit cautious. Haven't heard anything back from the auction house yet.

1. Vintage Omega Seamaster (looks like no box or paperwork) Est €200-300
    9264_042.jpg

2. Omega Railmaster (again looks like ne box/paperwork) Est €300-400
    2675_234.jpg

3. Graham Chrono Fighter (looks to have some paperwork) Est €250-350
    4127_237.jpg

Have never bought this way before so looking for feedback if anybody else has. Am I covered in the event of buying something and it turns out to be a fake etc? I know there are some bloody good fakes out there but at least two of these are of a vintage when there wasn't so many around!

HaHaHa Seriously? You have just made public - to a watch loving community and the lurkers - one of the best kept secrets in the secondhand watch/jewellery "underground", good luck with the estimates now.....you'll be competing with half the people reading this post :D

They are not experts there, sure they would spot the dodgy quartz Rolex, the newer watches and the newer 1:1 replicas would be much much harder to spot - even for authorized dealers, I suspect there might be more than a few slipping through, I would imagine 99% of the punters there wouldnt know the difference either.

If you do go to the auction make sure to leave the wife/girlfriend at home, I found that for every watch I bought for me I "was obliged" to buy her something shiney.....which usually meant that I could have bought mine at an AD ..NEW and saved money :D

• Advertisement

Yeah Marcus the thought had crossed my mind but sharing is caring :p
    As long as I don't get outbid on one of those omegas (providing they are genuine) I'll be happy! I know at least three of you to see by the way so I'll be keeping my eyes peeled :D

Can I bid over the phone :D

LOL.

Yeah Marcus the thought had crossed my mind but sharing is caring :p
    As long as I don't get outbid on one of those omegas (providing they are genuine) I'll be happy! I know at least three of you to see by the way so I'll be keeping my eyes peeled :D

Well, the first one should be fine, unless a franken.

The tells on the Railmaster are.....

There are 3 different "generations" of each of the Railmaster watches and each generation has its own flaws,

Fat Numbers
    Happy Feet
    Badly engraved rotor on display casebacks
    Misspelling on caseback
    Badly spaced text on caseback
    Asian 18800 movements have a jerky sweep, not as obvious on small seconds hands.
    "Swiss Made" missing from dial
    Lume too green in daylight
    Weak lume - common to ALL versions unless relumes, look for grainyness to lume in dim conditions
    AR coating looks over tinted
    Straps are good quality, but nowhere near Gen, unless replaced.

And be aware the 49mm is the BEST version of the Railmaster in the rep stakes.

What have I done :o

Seriously dude, seriously?

You're not a politician by any chance are you? A catastrophic error of judgement like that could only come from an Irish politician.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

The Railmaster and the Graham look interesting. Hummm.. I might see you there on Sunday Homer. ;)

:D

vsozfr.jpg

What I wanted .... Help

What I got .... Vultures circling :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭ArcticFox

Homer O'Reilly by any chance?! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

So..... did anyone purchase or find out what these watches went for?

Zagato wrote: »
    So..... did anyone purchase or find out what these watches went for?

I have no idea. I was chatting Homer, who went in on the Sunday and he was really interested in the Omega railmaster. He said that it and the Graham were HUGE. He left soon after as nothing else there really interested him.

What did they end up selling for? Maybe Homer can chime in, I'd love to know.

Omega Railmaster guide €300-400 ... went for €630

Tag Heuer Mercedez Benz guide €150-250 ... went for €680

Incubus Subaqua guide 200-300 ... went for €350

Graham Chrono Fighter guide €250-350 ... went for €1200

All final prices subject to 15% commission on top.

Omega Railmaster guide €300-400 ... went for €630

Tag Heuer Mercedez Benz guide €150-250 ... went for €680

Incubus Subaqua guide 200-300 ... went for €350

Graham Chrono Fighter guide €250-350 ... went for €1200

All final prices subject to 15% commission on top.

Jaysus, that railmaster was cheap even with the commission. Someone grabbed a bargain that's for sure.

Jaysus, that railmaster was cheap even with the commission. Someone grabbed a bargain that's for sure.

True and I was tempted but as an auction virgin, paired with the fact that it had no box, paperwork or service history and the fact the bezel was badly scuffed I passed. Anything that had box and papers went for much higher prices.

The Tag MB was very cheap also. It's a nice watch. Unless you intend on selling on your watches I wouldn't worry about papers and boxes at those prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

The Graham was cheap compared to RRP, but I've no idea what these usually sell for second hand. Horrible watches though.

Advertisement