Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To Report Bad Driving or Not

• 22-09-2011 10:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Folks,

I was at this junction this morning on the cycle into town. I pulled up to just in front of the lights when a coach (a reasonably well known countryside operator) pulled up right alongside me. The driver gave me no room as he was literally millimetres from me. I edged out just a little to give me some visibility. As the lights went green I got out ahead of him. I was aware that he was pretty much right up my ass and as a consequence I missed the turn off from the bus lane onto the cycle path. He beeped his horn as a result. At the next set of lights I looked around and he was saying something and gesticulating towards the cycle lane.

While he was mouthing off a chap older than me and carrying a kid on his bike looked back and shouted at the driver. I'm not sure if something happened with him as well or if he was just aware of what happened to me.

So to sum up I feel there was a case of bad driving on this guys part. Yes I missed the turn off onto the cycle lane but only as a result of the pressure I was put under having been given no room at the last junction and of having him up my ass. What do you think folks?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

You might report it to his boss, that's about all you could do, unless you want to allege dangerous driving to the Gardai, but I doubt that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

You might report it to his boss, that's about all you could do, unless you want to allege dangerous driving to the Gardai, but I doubt that.

Oh no I don't want to take it that far, sorry I didn't make that clear. I was thinking about reporting it to the company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Oh no I don't want to take it that far, sorry I didn't make that clear. I was thinking about reporting it to the company.

I think I would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Hey Folks,

I was at this junction this morning on the cycle into town. I pulled up to just in front of the lights when a coach (a reasonably well known countryside operator) pulled up right alongside me. The driver gave me no room as he was literally millimetres from me. I edged out just a little to give me some visibility. As the lights went green I got out ahead of him. I was aware that he was pretty much right up my ass and as a consequence I missed the turn off from the bus lane onto the cycle path. He beeped his horn as a result. At the next set of lights I looked around and he was saying something and gesticulating towards the cycle lane.

While he was mouthing off a chap older than me and carrying a kid on his bike looked back and shouted at the driver. I'm not sure if something happened with him as well or if he was just aware of what happened to me.

So to sum up I feel there was a case of bad driving on this guys part. Yes I missed the turn off onto the cycle lane but only as a result of the pressure I was put under having been given no room at the last junction and of having him up my ass. What do you think folks?

you feel ? .... but you have no proof, unfortunately best thing to do is move on.... there are always idiots on the road, some are cyclists, some are drivers (car, van, truck or motorcycle).

on the flipside.... you missed the turn off onto the cycle lane because you were not paying attention - do not try to blame the driver putting "pressure" on you.

I had a cyclist yesterday....At a crossroads .... one of the roads is one way, anyway this cyclist comes the wrong way up a one way street, breaks a red light, cuts across me (a motorist with a green light), I get ahead because there is two lanes - I stop at next set of Red traffic lights...he cycles through, again I goto next junction and I observe him weaving through traffic in front of me before cycling past a second set of red lights (Gardai were in the traffic behind him and did nothing...which is the main thing that I hate about it.)....I suppose I should have mentioned the dirty looks I got from the cyclist because I beeped at him after he cut across me and also after he passed the first set of red lights - as if it was my fault he doesn't know the rules of the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

PCPhoto wrote: »
    you feel ? .... but you have no proof, unfortunately best thing to do is move on.... there are always idiots on the road, some are cyclists, some are drivers (car, van, truck or motorcycle).

on the flipside.... you missed the turn off onto the cycle lane because you were not paying attention - do not try to blame the driver putting "pressure" on you.

I had a cyclist yesterday....At a crossroads .... one of the roads is one way, anyway this cyclist comes the wrong way up a one way street, breaks a red light, cuts across me (a motorist with a green light), I get ahead because there is two lanes - I stop at next set of Red traffic lights...he cycles through, again I goto next junction and I observe him weaving through traffic in front of me before cycling past a second set of red lights (Gardai were in the traffic behind him and did nothing...which is the main thing that I hate about it.)....I suppose I should have mentioned the dirty looks I got from the cyclist because I beeped at him after he cut across me and also after he passed the first set of red lights - as if it was my fault he doesn't know the rules of the road.

It's only thursday. Please save the usual inane rants till the appropriate day. Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

It's reasonable to say that you can find yourself distracted by having very large heavy vehicle driving dangerously and unnecessarily close to you. Anyone who's actually been in that situation is likely to agree.

A polite email or whatever to the company would be fair enough. You could just explain the encounter as calmly and objectively as you can, including why you missed the entry to the cycle lane (which, by the sounds of it, you usually use).
    I had a cyclist yesterday […] as if it was my fault he doesn't know the rules of the road.

That's all very interesting but also all very irrelevant. It sounds like the cyclist was in the wrong on several counts. It obviously annoyed you and I'm glad you found a chance to get it off your chest.

I find it odd, given what you say, that you seem to think it was Kintarō Hattori's fault that the bus driver doesn't know the rules of the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

I'd report it to the company if I were you. There's no need for bus drivers to bully cyclists.
    And I wouldn't use that pathetic excuse for a cycle lane either, bus or no bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

I saw someone driving through a red light yesterday. Oh, and a guy cycling on the footpath, and a bus driver talking on a mobile while driving. Then there was the old boy trying to send a sly text as he drove slowly in traffic. Hundreds of jaywalkers too. And then there were the white vans on yellow box junctions, lots of them. As for speeding? They were all at it!
    Have I out-irrelevanted you yet?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Bad behaviour by some random cyclist doesn't invalidate the OP's concerns. This is dragging the thread off-topic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

The bus driver should be concentrating on the road rather than bossing other adults around.

Looking at your link to Google Maps, there is no cycle lane on one side of the road, and the lane on the other side is incorrectly signed, (the shared-use pedestrian-and-bicycle sign is an import from the UK, and has no meaning here in law) so is not mandatory-use in a strict reading of the relevant statutory instrument.

Even if his point were valid, he has no right to drive in extremely close proximity to you to make a point. Imagine his reaction if you were to get up in his face when he came out of the bus after parking illegally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I use this bus lane every day on the way home. It is not wide enough for a taxi to pass safely never mind a bus. I generally stay well out and because it is downhill you generally go fast enough to keep around the same speed of the traffic behind you.
    I never use the cycle path just after the turn off for the Regency if that is the one you are talking about. It is always full of pedestrians and very short before it dumps you onto the road again.
    You did the right thing moving off in front of the bus. Next time you stop at those lights keep out from the curb enough so that the bus cant pull up alongside you...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    You did the right thing moving off in front of the bus. Next time you stop at those lights keep out from the curb enough so that the bus cant pull up alongside you...

Sound advice. It's often best to eliminate the option for other road users.

It is difficult to ignore large vehicles behind you in the lane but you may find you need to get used to it - not much comfort I know but if you maintain concentration on what you're doing you'll generally be safer. I had a taxi behind me for a few hundred meters this morning but he was very careful to stay well back. He passed me without incident when the lane widened. Unfortunately not everyone is like that driver.

My inclination would be to send a polite email to the company involved. If, on the other hand he was very close for an extended period, it might be a matter for the guards.

I'm well used to sharing the road with all sorts of vehicles and normally I wouldn't have an issue with anyone or anything. It's simply that first off he gave me no room at the lights and then followed me too closely while I was in the bus lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Wasting youre time going to the guards.A driver going thru a red light nearly knocked me off my bike.So I shouted at him and told him i was going to the station around the corner.So in I go,with the driver behind me.I tell the guard what happened,the driver gives his version to the guard (he lied and told the guard the light was green!!!) The guard tells me its my word against the drivers,that no one was hurt and sent me and the lieing red light jumping driver on our way!! Don't bother reporting to the guards,they will do nothing.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Lie detector tests FTW!

Chaps I've no intention of reporting it to the Guards, I meant to his company. I know I didn't make that as clear as I should have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭ccull123

Wasting youre time going to the guards.A driver going thru a red light nearly knocked me off my bike.So I shouted at him and told him i was going to the station around the corner.So in I go,with the driver behind me.I tell the guard what happened,the driver gives his version to the guard (he lied and told the guard the light was green!!!) The guard tells me its my word against the drivers,that no one was hurt and sent me and the lieing red light jumping driver on our way!! Don't bother reporting to the guards,they will do nothing.

Im sorry but the fact you accepted that service from the guard makes you very foolish. You should have stated that you wanted to make a statement there and then or organised a time to make one. After making the statement you should have written to the local superintendent outlining what happened etc and that you were unhappy with the service you received.At least its official then and something has to be done about.

No point coming on here bitching about it my friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭easygoing39

@ ccull123,Im just an ordinary person,Im neither smart enough or rich enough to take on a guard.When I 1st talked to the guard at the counter I told him I wanted to make a statement,the guard even got a pen and notebook.He listened to what I and the red light jumping driver told him.The guard then gave his "advise".Therefore in the station I listened to what the guard told me,knew I wasnt going to get any help and left the station.Im not bitching,just relaying facts off how the guards were useless in my case.As a normal citizen,why should I have to take it further and write to a superintendent?? In fact,as a normal citizen,how would I even know that this was my next course of action??Ive never been in trouble in my live with the guards,so wouldnt know the ins and outs off these things.And Id guess most of the ordinary decent people in here would be in the same boat.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

They certainly won't do anything if you don't report it.

However if you do, you may actually be doing someone else a favour - maybe next time this guy will be more careful if he's got a complaint recorded against his name. Maybe he's already had others complaining, in which case your word may carry more weight than his.

If I'd gone to the trouble of going to the station I would say to the guard that I want this on the driver's record, even if nothing comes of this particular incident

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rosbie

Kintaro, I use that road everyday and I have had the exact same incident with I would guess the same country bus company. He drove about 3 foot from my back wheel leaning on the horn even though the driving lane was empty. That particular bus companies drivers are very aggressive. As you say no point going to the Guards but a phone call to the company is well worth it even if its just to annoy them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭pgd-pgd

I've had a similar experience. I nearly got knocked off just after Whitehall Garda Station by a very aggressive Bus Driver as I was heading City bound just after crossing Griffith Avenue. He brushed right off me . I knocked on his door at the lights and politely informed him how close he was to killing me. He told me I should be in the cycle lane. I then informed him there is none there.I wonder is this the same Country Bus operator .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

There's three similar reports now. Is there any reason why the bus company can't be named here?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

At all points along that road in both directions no mandatory use applies even where there are cycle tracks off road. Where the pedestrian / cyclist signs are used it does not mean much at all -- you are allowed to use the bus lane at all times.

Mods is it ok to name the company?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

monument wrote: »
    At all points along that road in both directions no mandatory use applies even where there are cycle tracks off road. Where the pedestrian / cyclist signs are used it does not mean much at all -- you are allowed to use the bus lane at all times.

Ive actually started to stick to the fake cycle lanes on my route on the N2 (bar a very short downhill stretch) after being driven off the road three times by buses. It just isnt worth it...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

droidus wrote: »
    Ive actually started to stick to the fake cycle lanes on my route on the N2 (bar a very short downhill stretch) after being driven off the road three times by buses. It just isnt worth it...

Oh, the Finglas Road. I'm very sorry for you, would hate to commute on that route.

It's the worst cycle route in the Dublin City Council area. While the other three councils are generally worse for off-road cycle tracks, the Finglas Road may be the worst route in all of Dublin -- it could be between it and the N11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

monument wrote: »
    Oh, the Finglas Road. I'm very sorry for you, would hate to commute on that route.

It's the worst cycle route in the Dublin City Council area. While the other three councils are generally worse for off-road cycle tracks, the Finglas Road may be the worst route in all of Dublin -- it could be between it and the N11.
    I ended up on Finglas Road by accident once. I'm never going back.

I find in general that you can get away with using the bus lane if you pull right into the kerb and maybe even stop when a bus is approaching. They can't buzz you there. At least, not in my experience. Maybe they even appreciate you getting out of the way, who knows. I find that buses aren't frequent enough to make this stopping too much of a nuisance. Obviously, context and location is important.

Advertisement