Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Six months on... The First Feedback Thread

• 22-09-2011 11:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭

OK, so we have had out little commmunity here going on for a tad over 6 months now. Time for a little feedback.
    How are we doing? What do we need? What could we do without? How do we bring in more active posters?
    Now that Beruthael has returned to the world of Adminship should we allow use of the Forbidden "Ahem Nun" ?
    Should we try organising our first Beers Tea and Cake?
    Are there any questions I've left out?
    Please feel free to pen your thoughts on what we want the forum to be, whats it's lacking or what irritates you about it.
    PM's happly received if anyone wants to vent in private.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

The major irritant with me is ............ that I can't be there to join ye for the snifters! Hold on, am I allowed to do it by proxy? A kind of virtual beers? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

We'll Skype you on the night so you can put an order in at the bar and watch as I drink it for ya. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,742 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Interesting question OG. There are some interesting light-hearted threads which are entertaining to read. These are great and keep people interested in the forum.

There is also a really nice atmosphere on the forum, which could easily attract younger people, and why not!

'There's a but coming, isn't there?'. Yes... I feel that there is not much in the way of issues that might affect older people. Now the obvious answer to this is, if people don't have issues there is no need to discuss them. I wonder if this is the case though.

There are a few reasons why this might be. Firstly there are not really many people say 60 plus on the forum. While there is no problem at all with younger people contributing, responses can become diluted in terms of understanding.

For example a thread was started about time passing quickly, someone responded saying they were 23 and feeling it. On the one hand it would be petty to get heavy and quibble/moderate, but on the other hand at 23 you really have no idea, but you do not know that you haven't. And it would come across as patronising and over serious to point that out.

A few more serious threads have been started but haven't really had a lot of response. Is that because there are not enough older people, or because older people tend to be less willing to 'open up' on a public forum, or because they are not issues to enough people, or because they do not want to be moaning minnies messing up a chirpy forum?

I would be concerned that interest in the forum could wane unless there are at least a few issue based threads. I also feel that the forum could be 'sold' a bit as, while there are websites for older people, there are very few if any forums.

One idea, would it be possible to have anonymous posting in some cases? Would it be used?

I think there is a good bit to discuss here, but I will leave it at that for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

OldGoat wrote: »
    OK, so we have had out little commmunity here going on for a tad over 6 months now. Time for a little feedback.
    How are we doing? What do we need? What could we do without? How do we bring in more active posters?
    Now that Beruthael has returned to the world of Adminship should we allow use of the Forbidden "Ahem Nun" ?
    Should we try organising our first Beers Tea and Cake?
    Are there any questions I've left out?
    Please feel free to pen your thoughts on what we want the forum to be, whats it's lacking or what irritates you about it.
    PM's happly received if anyone wants to vent in private.

Time flies when you are having fun as the saying goes. I love this forum and I really like the people I have 'met' on here. I think we are doing well.

What do we need? Well more pictures of Alice and her moon dance could bring in a few... or maybe scare a few away. :D:D

Bringing in more posters is problematical. You need to attract them as you can't force people to take part. How you atttract them is another matter. As the forum is meant for the older folks then you need to get them interested in computers. Currently the elder generations are not as 'into' computers as the younger ones, but as time goes by maybe they will show up, and the younger folks will also get a tad older.

I am sure in her spare time Beruthial will return to post and read. So you should not use the dreaded "nun" try instead Sanatogen (do you remember that stuff?)

A Tea and cakes (with beer) would be great. I would attend if I could too. Although I would need to get the time to travel and get accomodation I think a nice friendly meeting would be a great idea.

How about a sell or swap thread for oldies, (Bed socks and hot water bottles type of stuff?) Actually, I think offered for free may go down a bit better, but it is just an idea.

Also a "Heads Up" thread, for things that may be of interest. (Lidl free steak in tins for the over 90's, Dart has new plans for toilets for the infirm and incontinent... Not true of course but info of that kind that you pick up and want to spread the word on.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

I like posting here & starting the odd thread now & then.

I also like to look at AH, but find my views on things a bit at odds with the 'cool kids'.

I sometimes think that I've stepped into a different world there than the one I grew up in.

How did things change so quick? Why didn't I notice?:confused:

Too busy gettin my life together, I guess...

I'm 43 BTW, and notice, in the real world that most people my age & older don't have much knowlege of the 'interweb', much less forums such as this.

Still, that'll change as time goes on.

More old gits like me will post when all the Fax machines wear out.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

We'll Skype you on the night so you can put an order in at the bar and watch as I drink it for ya. :cool:

I use NONOH - totally free to Ireland. No dropped calls, great clarity and no time limit on calls :) Please tell me your tipple, which corner of the bar and what name to put under it.

Joking aside, I only came across O&Os a few months ago. Have been on boards.ie for a few years but did not know about it. It needs exposure/advertising. A friend of mine who was a publican once told me that the way to get people into the bar was to lock the door. (Consider that one for a minute ;)). Keep up the good work.

Absolutely right looksee, we need more serious threads. The forum (as I see it) should be a resource of information, a question and answer, an advice centre AND a great social site. We seem to have the social side down pat but the serious side of facing our age seems to be a bit in short supply.

The serious threads that are started are always well received even if they don't spark much conversation and discussion. Perhaps everyone is waiting until something truly contentious crops up.

I also feel that there are a lot of lurkers out there (waves). I understand that breaking into one of the chat type threads can be difficult if it looks like everyone there are tight knit and that can be intimidating.

So far then we see a need for more topical stories of age and ageism as it affects us day to day rather then just more nostalgia threads. I'm not dismissing the nostalgia threads, we all like them, but we (as a group of Boardsies) are so much more then just oul farts remember better days. We are oul farts living life today with all that entails.

As to selling the forum a bit more, well that’s the thing about discussion boards, it takes discussion. You can make it more known visually by including a link in your signature but mostly it's done by word of mouth. Mentioning the forum on other forums (while maintaining the thread topic) is useful. The issue is that we are the thin edge of the age range of Boards.ie and most of the oul farts already know we are here.

Bringing in new folk to Boards is a bit more difficult. As we saw on a previous thread Dublin City Council has been hosting introductory lessons for the elderly. I'm currently looking at ways to get a link to Boards.ie and to the O&O in particular included in their demonstrations of what’s available on 'tinternet. With any luck it will mean another couple of bums on seats (or fingers on keys).

Just as a matter of interest OG if you look at my siggy it is a link to a forum on Boards that I frequent. Apparently a few folks have clicked on it and gone to the Paleontology forum. Could others do something similar for O&O?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

I like posting here & starting the odd thread now & then.

I also like to look at AH, but find my views on things a bit at odds with the 'cool kids'.

I sometimes think that I've stepped into a different world there than the one I grew up in.

How did things change so quick? Why didn't I notice?:confused:

Too busy gettin my life together, I guess...

I'm 43 BTW, and notice, in the real world that most people my age & older don't have much knowlege of the 'interweb', much less forums such as this.

Still, that'll change as time goes on.

More old gits like me will post when all the Fax machines wear out.:pac:

You have the makings of a new thread there Stained Glass...just cut and past your post and see how it goes....I like it..:)
    bla bla bla bla ..ramblings....Now that Beruthael has returned to the world of Adminship should we allow use of the Forbidden "Ahem Nun" ? .

bl**dy well not Sir! Why only the other day I delivered the finest Pomerol to Spread as a commisseration prize for Kerry losing the match on Sunday...standards man, standards....!!!
    Spread wrote: »
    The major irritant with me is ............ that I can't be there to join ye for the snifters! Hold on, am I allowed to do it by proxy? A kind of virtual beers? :)

You pay, I drink...:D

looksee wrote: »
    There is also a really nice atmosphere on the forum, which could easily attract younger people, and why not!

'There's a but coming, isn't there?'. Yes... I feel that there is not much in the way of issues that might affect older people. .

Always hoped the forum could blend in a bit more with posters from other forums...why don't we get a banner add onto our sigs?
    The serious threads that are started are always well received even if they don't spark much conversation and discussion. Perhaps everyone is waiting until something truly contentious crops up.

I also feel that there are a lot of lurkers out there (waves). I understand that breaking into one of the chat type threads can be difficult if it looks like everyone there are tight knit and that can be intimidating.
    I ran out of ideas for threadsd tbh...either my ideas weren't great or they ran their course quickly....I'll have a think over the weekend.

...btw...LURKERS...drop us all a line in the "god's waiting room" chat thread and let us know you're here..there's usually a free whiskey or mineral for new posters...:)

Cicero wrote: »

...btw...LURKERS...drop us all a line in the "god's waiting room" chat thread and let us know you're here..there's usually a free whiskey or mineral for new posters...:)

Hey that's my whiskey you are offering around.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

I am not long on Boards and not really techy savvy so when people mention things like 'signatures' i have no idea what they are talking about! Cant remember how i found the chat thread in here (that's old age for ya!) but never think to look outside of it so only spotted this as some mentioned it in the chat forum :o

As for some serious discussion it would never cross my mind to have a serious discussion via a keyboard on the internet! And from looking at AH and some other threads they normally descend into vicious mayhem which frankly i find intimidating but then again i am a bit of a softie.....

if there was a tutorial for how to navigate the various aspects of boards and all those bloody three/four lettered acronyms that would be good!

As for issues - I am a young 42 so in relation to age related issues dont have any (apart from a bad back and no tolerance for alcohol anymore!)

I shall toddle back to my Liebfraumilch now;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

It's nice to pop in every now and then (even if I do make some mad...;)) and I think the Buckie in the brown bag before the Nun.....:D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Rubecula wrote: »
    I am sure in her spare time Beruthial will return to post and read. So you should not use the dreaded "nun"

Mr. Goat is very old and has become tired of life.
    He has decided to live dangerously in the hopes that I will swiftly end it.

I will of course oblige, but it will be far from swift.....
    I have just completed my very own Pit of Despair. (Name that film for extra points)

:cool:
    Should I bring my own manacles or will you be supplying them?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

:cool:
    Should I bring my own manicles or will you be supplying them?

They are already built into the rack.

Just noticed that you have the Forbidden Words in your sig and hence are in contravention of the forum charter.
    Oooooh, I wield Power over you!

Edit: Just realised that this is not the chat thread and we are gone way off topic. OK, put the toys down and lets get back to the subject at hand. Are there ways we can improve the forum for all users?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

Im loving the Forum :)

I suppose when it comes to serious topics,as we get older we try and figure out our problems 'in real life'..if you get me?

I love reminising and not feeling silly about it. Its nice and safe here to do that.

Cant think of anything Id like that would improve the forum,but if things do change I'll go along with it. (only dont change the name ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Love this forum even if I don't/can't post very often, it makes my day just to drop in and see what you've all been posting - I really must get out more:rolleyes: (just kidding!)

One of the finer things about getting older is being able to say things that a younger me would have felt stupid about saying. I think being in a forum that allows you to do this amongst other folks who have the same problems is pretty good. I haven't been here since the start but I honestly wish I had been.

This place is friendly, informative and most importantly it is not full of, da stoopid txt cht tp ufthing. Yanno wot I meen?

Anyway I tend to think of the regulars in here as friends (cyber style of course)

Madam wrote: »
    Love this forum even if I don't/can't post very often, it makes my day just to drop in and see what you've all been posting - I really must get out more:rolleyes: (just kidding!)

Get ureself over to the "gods waiting room" thread "Madam" and say hello--- there's a Whiskey or mineral waiting for ya:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭golden virginia

Madam wrote: »

Youre right. Its is lovely here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

I love dropping in here every now and again - it's nice to be among people of my own age!

Of course, it's even better when we're all in "memory mode" and someone will say something that triggers memories from when I was a child. Makes me glad to think that not all of my little grey cells have gone AWOL :D

Long may the O&O forum continue.

Mollywolly wrote: »
    I love dropping in here every now and again - it's nice to be among people of my own age!

Of course, it's even better when we're all in "memory mode" and someone will say something that triggers memories from when I was a child. Makes me glad to think that not all of my little grey cells have gone AWOL :D

Long may the O&O forum continue.

I agree, we need oulwans and oulfellas cos we have more life in us than these young couch potatoes who are on the computer all the time. Oh, so are we come to think of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Maybe the reason there aren't so many serious threads on the forum is because us middle aged an older folk have most of the big stuff sorted and are now contented to potter around doing our own thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,270 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I think we need more coke and hookers. Supplies in the mod forum are dwindling.

muffler wrote: »
    I think we need more coke and hookers. Supplies in the mod forum are dwindling.

....you leave our coke and hookers alone, you big brute...they're all we got and you ain't gett'in none of them...hear...???:p

*PM's OG warning him not to raid the mod forum supply of C&H for a while as people are starting to get suspicious*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Alice1

What do we need? Well more pictures of Alice and her moon dance could bring in a few... or maybe scare a few away. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Noooo, most assuredly not Rube. Leave my pics where they are!

Love the O&O forum. Would be interested in an O&O beers/tea and cakes I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,270 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Alice1 wrote: »
    Love the O&O forum. Would be interested in an O&O beers/tea and cakes I think.
    There, that's better looking now eat-drink-smiley-5189.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I’m pushing towards the big 6-oh but don’t really feel that old, even though my body keeps nodding off when I need to keep alert! I’m pretty computer literate having worked with computers for many years on a daily basis my computer and I are pretty well hooked up a lot of the time as I have many interests and the computer has opened up a new world for me, but I have to be more careful, it takes over and steals a lot of my time when I’m not looking. Stained Glass, I don’t who you are hanging round with at your ancient age :Dbut I know quite a few people 50’s, 60’s, 70’s who are definitely very ‘interweb’ savvy.

I very much agree with Ramette, “some other threads they normally descend into vicious mayhem”. I dip into several other threads from time to time, most of them are quite intelligent, and ‘safe’, but others would leave you scorched so I try to keep away from those as much as possible. There is a safe feeling here in O&O. Rubecula is also right to say that it’s not full of “da stoopid txt cht tp ufthing. Yanno wot I meen?” That has its place but it can become irritating.

Perhaps there could be more information regarding mens’/women’s health issues. Loneliness is something that should be discussed more, because it can lead to terrible depression is some people, and not always just in country areas, the cities can be lonely places too. Are there elder-related campaigns going on that we don’t know about? Who organises campaigns, and are they doing a good enough job, and how do we join and support those causes that are important to us. What about writing a will? Now that’s something that a lot will find very difficult to discuss but information might be needed. Can we be linked to elder charities websites and vice versa. Plus a lot of less important matters like let’s learn a new craft or skill, or let’s learn a different language together. It’s late my friends, and I have studying still to catch up with. I may think of more tomorrow. Hope I haven’t bored you. I enjoy O&O very much (kissy-kissy!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Alice1

Jellybaby1;74903887]Perhaps there could be more information regarding mens’/women’s health issues. Loneliness is something that should be discussed more, because it can lead to terrible depression is some people, and not always just in country areas, the cities can be lonely places too.

I agree Jellybaby, tis something we could do with.

Advertisement