Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is there any celtic or republican pubs left in Dublin city

Options
  • 22-09-2011 11:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

folks is there any good rebel or celtic pubs left in the City centre ?????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Are you asking for a Celtic football team pub or a RA pub?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Woolshed if you're looking for a good place to watch matches

A RA pub is the Sunset up by Portland Row
    The kind of the small dark place where the barman wants to know your name and everyone turns to look at you when you enter.

Gerry Adams and some of the Sinn Féin office staff go for pints in Clearys Amiens St. But that's a quiet and ordinary old mans pub. The kind of pub any of our dads would drink in, nothing special about the place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

reprazant wrote: »
    Are you asking for a Celtic football team pub or a RA pub?

You say this as if they are two distinct entities?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

stovelid wrote: »
    You say this as if they are two distinct entities?

Touché

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Jamesy O'Donnell's on Parkhead St do trad and rebel sessions 7 nights a week but you'll need to show an Irish passport or wear a Celtic jersey to get in. They're having a famine memorial festival next month-should be good craic.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Tiocfaidh Armani

mikemac wrote: »
    Gerry Adams and some of the Sinn Féin office staff go for pints in Clearys Amiens St. But that's a quiet and ordinary old mans pub. The kind of pub any of our dads would drink in, nothing special about the place

Cleary's has some cracking old pictures on the wall. Pubs like that are a dying breed unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Outside the City Centre, I heard that Stokes bought Martins in Priorswood, I presume this will replace the Players Lounge.

celticbest wrote: »
    Outside the City Centre, I heard that Stokes bought Martins in Priorswood, I presume this will replace the Players Lounge.

According to someone close to him on a Celtic forum I post on the Players Lounge is definitely opening back up in October/November time, which is great news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

latenia wrote: »
    Jamesy O'Donnell's on Parkhead St do trad and rebel sessions 7 nights a week but you'll need to show an Irish passport or wear a Celtic jersey to get in. They're having a famine memorial festival next month-should be good craic.

It sickens me to think that places like that exist.

Jehuty42 wrote: »
    It sickens me to think that places like that exist.

Why because they're having a famine memorial week?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

Why because they're having a famine memorial week?
    It's more "you'll need to show an Irish passport or wear a Celtic jersey to get in" that bothers me.

Jehuty42 wrote: »
    It's more "you'll need to show an Irish passport or wear a Celtic jersey to get in" that bothers me.

He speaking tongue-in-cheek, jeez-Louise:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Hi OP - Are you looking to drum (not lambeg obviously) up support for your Celtic festival next year? In which case that may be seen as promotion which is frowned upon on boards.ie.

As the staunch republican that you obviously are I am surprised that you don't already know the republican public houses in the capital (safe or otherwise).

Just saying, like.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭eyebrows63

latenia wrote: »
    are they doing finger food:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 The Druids

Hi OP - Are you looking to drum (not lambeg obviously) up support for your Celtic festival next year? In which case that may be seen as promotion which is frowned upon on boards.ie.

As the staunch republican that you obviously are I am surprised that you don't already know the republican public houses in the capital (safe or otherwise).

Just saying, like.

tHB

excuse me i asked about pubs in Dublin city ?????????? it is not a crime to be a republican and without republicans in Ireland we would still be ruled by our poxy neighbours across the pond.. I always laugh at comments like yours ive a feeling theres a bit of a Blue shirt in you TAL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

The Druids wrote: »
    excuse me i asked about pubs in Dublin city ?????????? it is not a crime to be a republican and without republicans in Ireland we would still be ruled by our poxy neighbours across the pond.. I always laugh at comments like yours ive a feeling theres a bit of a Blue shirt in you TAL

You're obviously not a real republican, you haven't called him a west brit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

He didn't say anything about it being a crime to be a republican. He just asked were you trying to drum up support for your festival.

The fact that you avoided answering that question would lead one to believe he may have been right.

But y'know, carry on getting all defensive about remarks that weren't even made. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

the confession box off talbot st is good for rebel music. past it on arthurs day and isome guy was roaring the broad black brimmer down a microphone. it was enough to send shivers down your spine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

I passed by The Auld Triangle on Dorset Street yesterday and noticed that they have the hunger strikers' faces painted on the wall outside. Had an inkling this might be up your street so.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    He didn't say anything about it being a crime to be a republican. He just asked were you trying to drum up support for your festival.

The fact that you avoided answering that question would lead one to believe he may have been right.

But y'know, carry on getting all defensive about remarks that weren't even made. :)

what support folks if there was a festival ran in any part of the world for celtic it would be full you dont need support drummed up.... i posted another thread looking for ideas lads for something different.
    this thread was to find a pub in dublin city that has rebel music????? as there is to much **** in the majority of pubs a bit of rebel music would liven it up... west brit is fact the harsh reality is D4 attitude is more like it ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Didn't know that such pubs existed still in Dublin.

Are the ones that do the live bands really pro-IRA republican or pro-IRB/"good ole days" republican pubs? If the latter I'll pop in with one of my best mates who also like the trad songs. If the former, I'll pop in with one of the lads that I used to work with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

cosmic wrote: »
    I passed by The Auld Triangle on Dorset Street yesterday and noticed that they have the hunger strikers' faces painted on the wall outside. Had an inkling this might be up your street so.

I dare you to go in and ask do they serve the carvery via a drip.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Poxy neighbours? Aka the land were Celtic FC reside in? :confused::confused:

Poxy neighbours? Aka the land were Celtic FC reside in? :confused::confused:

Celtic FC RESIDE IN Scotland dumbass....:cool:
    our poxy neighbours England...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

mikemac wrote: »
    Woolshed if you're looking for a good place to watch matches

A RA pub is the Sunset up by Portland Row
    The kind of the small dark place where the barman wants to know your name and everyone turns to look at you when you enter.

is it? ive been there many times and didnt get asked my name or experience eye balling off anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

So much defensiveness on here...'twas a simple question by the OP

Celtic FC RESIDE IN Scotland
    our poxy neighbours England...

Well techinally are "poxy" neighbours would be the UK as Wales, Scottish, England and NI are all our neighbours, here's a map to get your head around it! So we'll just say Celtic FC reside in the UK, simples!

uk-and-ireland-map.gif

As for the Auld Triangle, it's not really a 'RA pub tbh, it's a big GAA pub though with it being Dublins' Ger Breenan's local. Hunger Strike thing is only a recent addition.

markesmith wrote: »
    'twas a simple question by the OP

Oxymorons make for fairy difficult questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

The Druids - Attack the post, not the poster. Name-calling is not acceptable.

tHB

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭stewie01

The Druids - Attack the post, not the poster. Name-calling is not acceptable.

tHB

Is derailing a thread with off topic comments??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement