Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metric / Imperial Measurements

Options
  • 22-09-2011 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Im curious whats the Law on measurements? Are retailers / manufacturers obliged to display a metric measurement?

I have notice some companies only display imperial and claim that this is because most people come asking for it.... however this excuse rubs me up the wrong way as if you continue to perpetuate imperial then people will continue to think in it.

Surely there is at least an obligation to display a metric equivalent?

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,461 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

fionny wrote: »
    Surely there is at least an obligation to display a metric equivalent?

I believe there is for things like food but not sure what you're query is about, what product or material are you referring to?

The home trade can't seem to make up their minds, I got a flyer from Mulvey's of Dundrum recently and the wood floors are all quoted in imperial. Carpets were always quoted in sq. yards last time I checked.

I don't believe the regulations covers anything outside fuel, food and drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I would agree with you. It's also a pet hate of mine that the media tend to use a mix of metric and imperial.

Officially units of measure should be metric with an imperial conversion if necessary.

The exception is draught alcoholic beverages that have to be sold in pints. Bottled/canned beer has to be in metric units. At this stage a "pint" has more of a meaning that just an imperial measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

It is Carpets I was referring to, it drives me mental! Just get to grips with SqM we are not americans and metric is simple!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,461 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If everyone else in the home building/furnishing/fitting business uses imperial then good luck to any carpet shop that converts to metric before the rest of the industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

coylemj wrote: »
    If everyone else in the home building/furnishing/fitting business uses imperial then good luck to any carpet shop that converts to metric before the rest of the industry.

Well I actually work for a retailer and we do it in metric but one of our suppliers while cost price in metric advertise their promotions in imperial which is maddening from a pricing perspective.

Hence I wanted to hound them and tell them to cop on but if there is no legal obligation there then they wont listen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I think by EU law, all prices must be quoted in metric.

I remember this coming in around 2002 with the Euro but I cant remember the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

www.nsai.ie/About-NSAI/Departments/LMS.aspx

try this lot.

you have to sell in metric and display your largest signs in metric but can also quote imperial for those who still use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Plenty of tile shops still sell by the sq yard, well most I've see do

My understanding of it was if they sell by sq metre people will see their window sign and assue they are ten per cent or so more expensive
    Or maybe that's just an excuse they use

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

The amount of people coming into my place and asking for the imperial measurements when everything is in metric is ridiculous. I wish people would just get to grips with it.
    When you ask for a price on something you don't ask me to convert it to schillings!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Recently went into a place to get a quote for flooring. I told them I needed 16m2 and guy said "ok you'll need about 20 sq yrds so, to allow for wastage" and he was younger than me! But different units is not really an issue for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I'm a child of the 80s, but I was taught sewing by a lady who was born in the 20s, so I think in yards and inches but I buy in meters.

If I dont have my phone to convert I cant buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

I went into a sweet shop in kilkenny yesterday, threw myself across the counter and demanded a quarter of clove rock. the gum smacking, texting teen behind the counter nearly pressed the emergency button.

Advertisement