Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My site just went all white !!

Options
  • 22-09-2011 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭

I was in the middle of re-doing my website www.davidstokes.com ( Let me know what you see all i see it white )

I was using wordpress and had a lovely theme and was nearly finished.

I installed a gallery plugin.. went for a walk with my dogs.. came home and the site was all white.. It's not down because I checked.. and i can also check my webmail.

I've logged into the FTP and deleted the 2 plugins thinking it might be them. Still no joy.

It took me a few days to ge to where I am and dont want to have to re-do all my work !!.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why wordpress went all white ?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I'm just seeing white, and looking at the source all I see is
    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
    <HTML><HEAD>
    <META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=windows-1252"></HEAD>
    <BODY></BODY></HTML>

I don't know anything about wordpress but it looks pretty broken to me. Backups to restore to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

looks ok on my end

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

oh thank god it's back... What happened I dont know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

Well Wordpress is built on PHP and if error messages are disabled (which they usually are) then a PHP fatal error (like a syntax error or something) will result in a blank screen.

Of course the source code will usually be blank too which kind of contradicts what stevenmu said

When i see the white page there was no source code.

But it's back now so I can continue :)

• Advertisement

it's gone white again !!

What could cause this.. as it was working.. then not working.. then working again now not working.. It was full working the last few days with no errors.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

It might be worth checking for a PHP version clash between the PHP on your server and your Wordpress install and then with the theme/plugins requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,879 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Dodgy plugin methinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

Are you able to edit the source code? If you put in the following php code it might reveal the problem (into the index.php in the top level wordpress directory)
    ini_set("display_errors", 1);
    error_reporting(E_ALL);

...just before the
    require('./wp-blog-header.php');

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Looks okay now again. You've got a typo on the bottom left under contact. The text reads "Tired of you old fashioned website?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Malice wrote: »
    Looks okay now again. You've got a typo on the bottom left under contact. The text reads "Tired of you old fashioned website?"

....and further in it says "When we undertake a campaign we review all accepts of this."

Presume it's meant to say "aspects" ?

Nothing gives off the wrong impression to potential clients more than dodgy spelling, so based on the above 2 I'd advise a full review of all of your text.

Are the sites that you offer only WordPress-based ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

NeVeR wrote: »
    Does anyone have any ideas as to why wordpress went all white ?
    Look in your server error logs.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭VMotion

It could be a database connection issue. You'd rather submit a ticket to your hosting provider and ask them to look into it, especially when it turns all white again.

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    ....and further in it says "When we undertake a campaign we review all accepts of this."

Presume it's meant to say "aspects" ?

Nothing gives off the wrong impression to potential clients more than dodgy spelling, so based on the above 2 I'd advise a full review of all of your text.

Are the sites that you offer only WordPress-based ?

Thanks. I'll review. it.. it was a rush job. This is only a hobby for me. I've a full time job in a different field.

I offer sites in normal HTML/CSS - Wordpress - Joomla.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

NeVeR wrote: »
    Thanks. I'll review. it.. it was a rush job. This is only a hobby for me. I've a full time job in a different field.

Didn't see that mentioned anywhere!

You might also check it in different browsers - it's too wide for a 1024 screen in Chrome and the background doesn't extend.

Advertisement