Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Winter training advice

• 22-09-2011 11:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭

I joined up with a local mtb club early this year - first time on a bike in 7 years - and while my fitness came on reasonably well during the year I was playing catch-up with the other members all the time because they are feckin animals :D. I was thinking of doing a bit of winter training on the road over the winter so I'd have a base level of fitness going into next season to build from. I have a 13 year old "mountainbike" lying around at home that weighs a ton and I was thinking of sticking road tyres and clip-in pedals on it and using it for the road training. My main aim is just to build fitness and climbing ability. My question is would I be better off buying a proper dedicated road-bike or sticking with the old banger in the shed? My logic is that the training on the heavy bike will stand to me when I get back on my proper lightweight MTB.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Ant

When reading your post, the first thought that occurred to me is that if you're already a member of a MTB club, that you should keep going out on spins with them over the winter. Surely, there are other members in the same boat as yourself who are just getting into it and wanting to build up their fitness and skills (a lot of clubs seem to recruit new members at this time of year).

For any kind of training, I'd say that you're much better off doing something that you enjoy and preferably as a social event with others who are at a similar enough level as yourself.

If you decide to use your old MTB, I'd suggest that you'd be better off doing your winter training off-road. If you decide to do your training on the road, I'd recommend a decent road bike with drop handlebars (for reasonably long distance cycles) and bigger gears (for cycling on smooth road surfaces). You can get away with cycling on slick tyres but if your bike's not really suited for the type of cycling you're doing, it'll take away from the enjoyment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Ant wrote: »
    When reading your post, the first thought that occurred to me is that if you're already a member of a MTB club, that you should keep going out on spins with them over the winter. Surely, there are other members in the same boat as yourself who are just getting into it and wanting to build up their fitness and skills (a lot of clubs seem to recruit new members at this time of year).

For any kind of training, I'd say that you're much better off doing something that you enjoy and preferably as a social event with others who are at a similar enough level as yourself.

If you decide to use your old MTB, I'd suggest that you'd be better off doing your winter training off-road. If you decide to do your training on the road, I'd recommend a decent road bike with drop handlebars (for reasonably long distance cycles) and bigger gears (for cycling on smooth road surfaces). You can get away with cycling on slick tyres but if your bike's not really suited for the type of cycling you're doing, it'll take away from the enjoyment.

Thanks Ant. I'll be doings much MTBing as I can on the weekends but I work 9-5 Monday to Friday so that won't be an option on dark winter evenings unfortunately and the club tends to wind down when the xc season is over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭davey101

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Thanks Ant. I'll be doings much MTBing as I can on the weekends but I work 9-5 Monday to Friday so that won't be an option on dark winter evenings unfortunately and the club tends to wind down when the xc season is over.

Get a night light (eg: magicshine) and invite other club members out 1-2 times a week, i am sure they are at it already if not soon enough. some are probably resting as the season only really finished up last weekend. club spins are probably most enjoyable this time of year as noone has a need to be pushing hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭easygoing39

where are you based OP??? The 2 dublin based clubs both run mtb spins during the winter.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

xxyyzz wrote: »

I am just in the process of getting night lights for my mtb for winter night runs.
    can't wait actually.
    Road bike hung up for now anyhow and really enjoying the mtb'ing again.

you need to get out on a bike - road or mtb - a gym, imo, will never give the same work-out as a good spin and not as much fun :D

K

• Advertisement
Advertisement