Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sustainable boozing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭parc

Are we talking about 8- 9 pints?? That's a huge amount!! It's almost the weekly limit for men, and exceeds the weekly limit for women! It is binge drinking, pure and simple. I would probably have alcohol poisoning after that amount, be thankful that a hangover is all you get.

Maybe alcohol awareness should be on the school curriculum, although the information is on TV, radio and newspapers constantly and STILL no- one pays any attention to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f68VXKMZT1Q

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I haven't had a hangover in about 3 years because I drink a pint of water between every alcoholic drink

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

What works every time for me is a burger/chips before i go home, and 2 neurofen or solpadene before i go to bed. On the nights i'm too drunk to remember to get a bite to eat i will be near death the next day with the worst headache and upset stomach but when i eat before i go home, even when i've had a ****load of beer, the most i have to contend with is a fuzzy head and that usually clears up after a slice or two of toast and cup of tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

ScumLord wrote: »
    I thought this whole idea of the body holding onto toxins had been debunked, why and where would the body hold onto all these toxins?

If you are a regular drinker toxins will build up in your body. Exercise helps to cleanse the body. Exercise = less hangovers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

have a captain and coke before you go home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

df1985 wrote: »
    how old are you?

8-9 beers isnt much for a big night out? (not trying to sound the big man but thats true for a lot of people)
    Without wanting to sound holier than thou, this is the problem with drink culture in Ireland (and Britain and a few other notables).

By any objective measure, 9 pints is a lot. It's approaching two bottles of wine. And the idea that it isn't a lot...

The way the Yanks are about eating giant plates of food that to anyone else is clearly mad and disgusting - that's us with booze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

I've noticed cutting down the number of cigarettes I have on a night out reduces the severity of my hangovers. I used to get huge cravings for cigarettes when I was drinking and used to always wake up the next morning with an awful taste in my mouth. Also, drinking water helps as does eating just before going out. Nothing worse than drinking on an empty stomach. As for hangover cures there is nothing better than exercise in my view. It sweats it out and while it may seem impossible at the time, I find even doing 5 slow lengths of a pool to be brilliant.
    Granted, I feel I may be eating my words tomorrow though ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I find the fitter i am the less hungover. If im doing very well with exercising and drink a pint of water before bed I dont seem to get a hangover at all and im 32.

Also yeah North korea and perhaps Burmah would, I imagine have pretty large military to civilian ratios.

This is an interesting thread.......

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    If you are a regular drinker toxins will build up in your body. Exercise helps to cleanse the body. Exercise = less hangovers.
    I'd give you exercise will equal less hangovers because your body is fitter and better able to repair itself but the toxins thing, what are the toxins and where do they build up? The only place I can think of where toxins would build up is the bladder and their supposed to build up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

JAysus all this talk of boozing is giving me a thirst.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

parc wrote: »

I can appreciate this :) BUT also think that the Irish making light of our national pasttime is really just sweeping the issue under the carpet. 8/ 9 pints is too many, and habitual drinking of 8/ 9 pints is alcoholism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Are we talking about 8- 9 pints?? That's a huge amount!!
    No it isn't. Its a quiet night.

I'd give you exercise will equal less hangovers because your body is fitter and better able to repair itself but the toxins thing, what are the toxins and where do they build up? The only place I can think of where toxins would build up is the bladder and their supposed to build up there.

The liver?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭parc

I also read somewhere that you shouldn't eat too much starchy food before boozing

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Handy11

The method for bulletproofing is thus:

1. Drink 3 pints.

2. Eat the dinner.

3. Drink as much as you can for the rest of the night.

4. Make sure to eat something before bed (chips, or even a sandwich).

5. Drink a pint of water before bed.

If you do this, you'll never die too bad. I've surprised myself a couple of times this year by rocking the 3rd day of a session while keeping to the above rules (I thought I was past that kind of stamina at nearly 33).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭Corvo

I just built up a resistance as such to hangovers (I had so many when I was younger) if you can call them that, because it is very rare that I would have a sick stomach or a pounding head. Usually just wrecked tired...and I mean dizzy tired. Could be called dehydration actually...

Anyway, heres my tips:

1) Some people can go out on an empty stomach (I can for some reason, the thoughts of beer and food is rotten). If you cant, dont. Simple. And eat well, like spuds and milk (not together obviously!!)

2) I dont smoke, until I'm pished. But my god, they can turn you bad the next morning. Cut down while drinking.

3) Dont eat any shyte from a chipper on the way home. Abra is the devil. Eat a sandwich when you get home. Try not to burn the place down. (This is the only time I can manage food)

4) Get a drink into you the next morning. Sometimes I just fling a can into me, or walk into the local and down a pint. Will cure you big time.

5) Dont mix drinks. I'm one of those people that likes every drink, and want to drink them all. But it can wreck you.

6) Know your limit. When I'm out, I'm out. Friday, Saturday, Sunday. Id consume about 35-40 pints in that time. Along with shorts, and whatever gets us going at home, i.e. a few cans. Thats grand for me, but if you get stuck with others who can handle more or less, then back off. Drink at your own pace. Even some people Ive drank with could drink way more on top of that.

Thats not trying to be the big man, but different people have different bodies and stomachs etc. Just take it easy and see what yours prefers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

8 or 9 pints over 6 hours?? That's not drinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

6) Know your limit. When I'm out, I'm out. Friday, Saturday, Sunday. Id consume about 35-40 pints in that time. Along with shorts, and whatever gets us going at home, i.e. a few cans. Thats grand for me, but if you get stuck with others who can handle more or less, then back off. Drink at your own pace. Even some people Ive drank with could drink way more on top of that.

:eek:

40 pints in 3 days?
    Say Heineken, that's 113.6 units. 9768 calories.

The liver?
    It is a filter but I don't think anything builds up there unless it's broken.

I'm trying to remember where I heard that, I'm pretty sure it was a Penn & Teller Bull**** show on alternative medicine. The doctor basically said this myth is pushed by the alternative medicine crowd but is pure bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

A hangover is part of the magic of drinking. It's what stops me drinking every night, long may they keep me crippled.

• Advertisement

It is a filter but I don't think anything builds up there unless it's broken.

How do you think you break it then? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

parc wrote: »
    After a few (about 8 or 9) beers on Saturday (over the course of about 6 hours) I woke up the next day with an all mighty-full hangover. Head thumping, puked, and really felt awful. They're hitting hard as I get older (though I'm not exactly old).

Is there any way to avoid these without actually, you know, giving up drinking. I have a few base rules learned from past hang-rovers that were even worse:
    • Never ever drink on an empty stomach. I've found that you go on a session on an empty stomach, the next morning your blood-sugar levels are seriously low and you fell like you haven't got the strength to move. I've had hangovers where I literally couldn't get out of bed for a drink of water as I was so weak. Not good.
    • Don't mix your drinks. I'm not even talking about wine before beer. On Saturday I just had 3 different beers which prompted my massive hangover. Stella didn't help either. I've also had hangovers so bad that I couldn't even hold down water the next morning along with not being able to move. Also drinking less is another good option

I've only had about 3 of these in my life and they are not good. Even the milder ones like the one I had after the weekend last a few days. Probably the worst thing is mentally I can't function. All good habits go out the window and it takes a few days to get back into a positive frame of mind, getting back to doing healthy things.

So basically I'm just wondering what tips people use to sustain these drinking sessions and not have such bad hangovers. Start drinking quality beers? Drink less? (Though Remember I am on a session, so I want to be merry). Note I only drink about twice a week, one of them being a proper session

Alka Seltzer first thing in the morning may be your friend. I am going through that phase now. I was a fücking supreme drinker, thin as a lat, could drink my weight, never puked. Would die but always rallied.

The last 12 months or so has been outrageous with a few chronic hangovers, full day jobs puking the works. Two Alka Seltzer off the bat and all was well. Was raging I hadn't thought of it beofre. The debilitations ruined a couple of belting sessions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Two nurofen plus and a big glass of water before bed does it for me. And never drink on an empty stomach, especially if drinking wine!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Two nurofen plus on top of alcohol in the long-term will likely cause liver damage (few onces offs will be fine though). My own cure is 1-1.5 litres of water before bed (over 10-15 mins or you will hurl), washed down with a B-vitamin tables (boots high strength). When I remember (rarely) having a pint or two of water during night out will help too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Two nurofen plus and a big glass of water before bed does it for me. And never drink on an empty stomach, especially if drinking wine!!

Nurofen Plus you say?
    Wine you say?

http://d284656.u38.hosting.digiweb.ie/img/2010/12/19/columnists/city-slicker/neil-prenderville.jpg

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

How do you think you break it then? :p
    We'll just have to wait for professor Wibbs to give the definitive answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭Corvo

foxyboxer wrote: »
    :eek:

40 pints in 3 days?
    Say Heineken, that's 113.6 units. 9768 calories.

Jesus. I never even looked at it like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Jesus. I never even looked at it like that.
    Equivalent to eating over 30 normal-size Mars bars. The strain that must put on the liver...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I've no idea when I last had a bad hangover. On a big night, which is not too often, I would consume 8 or 9 beers as well but I've never felt like crap the next day. I wouldn't be wolfing them down though, I would probably start off around 8 or 9 pm after having a good dinner and drink on average a beer an hour until about 5 or 6 AM and then have a kebab. And I wouldn't be throwing down any shots either.

I'd say just stick to the beer, get decent food in before the pub, no wolfing them down and stay away from the spirits.

Advertisement