Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Templars Hall ..Getting out of Hand..

Options

Comments

cataclysm wrote: »
    Its all gone too far on both sides!
    Was walking my mate home from college last night at half nine, two of us drinking Monster when some lady with dark curly hair and an old guy came over and took the can off me and threw it to the ground saying we're up to no good?
    Then when we just turned to walk away she started shouting that Im littering!?
    People sticking their heads out of their doors in all directions.

Its chaos!

That's insane.. Although those people seem like they are at the end of their tether and just reacting rashly due to lack of sleep?:pac:

I think the general consensus is that people need to pull the landlords up on the behaviour of their tenants, has anyone done this yet? If so then what was their reaction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Cabaal wrote: »
    Except many people bought the houses in the estate when it was built and before it was full of students.

So your analogy is invalid.

It is right next to the college, what did they think was going to happen? As sure as the sun comes out every morning students were going to move in. Revisiting my farm analogy, ya might move into the house in december when the slurry hasnt been spread but sure as god, by the summer time ya can expect the smell to be in full swing.
    These people paid what €200,000+ for these houses? I do feel sorry for them but at this price I'd have to be a 110,000% sure of what I'm buying into, and unfortunatly these people lacked a bit of foresight.
    Just to repeat myself, I do have sympathy for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Looking at previous posts, it seems like the residents are really taking a hard stance and anyone is a target,
    Making it worse is the houses that are playing on the situation.

Landlords don't seem to give a crap, why not have a residents committe formed made up of some residents and some of the behaved students and action group so to speak.

It really can't be any fun out there, especially if you can't stroll home sipping on a monster.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭letsbet

O Riain wrote: »
    It is right next to the college, what did they think was going to happen? As sure as the sun comes out every morning students were going to move in. Revisiting my farm analogy, ya might move into the house in december when the slurry hasnt been spread but sure as god, by the summer time ya can expect the smell to be in full swing.
    These people paid what €200,000+ for these houses? I do feel sorry for them but at this price I'd have to be a 110,000% sure of what I'm buying into, and unfortunatly these people lacked a bit of foresight.
    Just to repeat myself, I do have sympathy for them.

This type of behaviour vy students does not take place to the same extent in any other estate in Waterford so why should people who bought there expect that they'd be the unlucky ones. Students live in large numbers in many other estates but not with the same devastating effects. Your analogy is completely flawed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

I'm coming from doing a degree up in Galway already, and there's no behaviour like that even when the housing estate is 100% students.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

letsbet wrote: »
    This type of behaviour vy students does not take place to the same extent in any other estate in Waterford so why should people who bought there expect that they'd be the unlucky ones. Students live in large numbers in many other estates but not with the same devastating effects. Your analogy is completely flawed.

It's not that flawed. I made a similar point. These houses are identical to the ones in Grange Manor yet were valued at €30-40k cheaper. Given the proximity to the college, this was always an attractive proposition to prospective landlords. I'm sure Frisby knew what he was doing.

It really is sad though, that people who bought these houses as an ideal home and unable to afford elsewhere, are having to put up with all this strife. I really do feel for them.

They're not much cheaper than many houses in similar areas near the college and my point is that even if it was a surprise to the residents that so many students moved in it should be a major surprise as to how they're acting. Some people may say "ah well, that's students" - but it's not. Not all students behave like this and in other estates (and on college grounds) they don't behave half as bad as what's reported in TH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭samsham

You really don't know what you're talking about. For future reference, the "observation room" as you call it, is not that. The CCTV is located in the communications room and the Gardai (or Garda at times) also has to answer incoming calls, 999 calls, alarm calls, etc. There is no one Garda paid to just watch the 30+ CCTV cameras.

I thought people had to know the facts before posting comments like this one alleging something?

And before anyone asks, or states, you can pick whichever of the following you prefer:

- I am a Garda
    - I'm related to a Garda
    - I'm friends with a Garda
    - I'm a retired Garda
    - I'm pro-Gardai
    - I collect facts before posting
    - I prefer taking sides of those who get roasted the most

Wow! we have James Bond in our midst. "I could tell you, but I'd have to kill you first" Your in a movie in your head bud, Nobody here cares if you are or, not a Garda. After a recent court case I was under the impression the Garda in the station took a keen interest in playing around with the CCTV cameras.

They're not much cheaper than many houses in similar areas near the college and my point is that even if it was a surprise to the residents that so many students moved in it should be a major surprise as to how they're acting. Some people may say "ah well, that's students" - but it's not. Not all students behave like this and in other estates (and on college grounds) they don't behave half as bad as what's reported in TH.

Em.... Have you been to any housing thats heavily populated by students? I've experienced first hand student life in 6 different places Galway,Carlow,Dublin,Limerick,Cork and Waterford and it is no different. The reason why this seems so bad is there is a large enough proportion of non student residents so the behaviour is noticed. When its only students living in a location the behaviour is the same, possibly worse but its not reported because nobdoy cares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Elbows22

Wex_Lad / Newportwex .............Very Similar................ Just saying :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

Em.... Have you been to any housing thats heavily populated by students? I've experienced first hand student life in 6 different places Galway,Carlow,Dublin,Limerick,Cork and Waterford and it is no different. The reason why this seems so bad is there is a large enough proportion of non student residents so the behaviour is noticed. When its only students living in a location the behaviour is the same, possibly worse but its not reported because nobdoy cares.

That's alot of college life. Are you Van Wilder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Elbows22 wrote: »

Surely there is more than 1 person in wexico?

Yes I have and it wasn't anything like what's going on now. Do you think it's the same in other areas with loads of students living close together. Why is everyone just focussing on TH.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

TBF I lived in Lismore Park when I was in College and I don't ever remember there being any trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Elbows22 wrote: »

Nah, Newportwex was fairly funny. Wex_lad isn't.

dayshah wrote: »
    Nah, Newportwex was fairly funny. Wex_lad isn't.

He Re-Registers every now and again and posts a few threads that due to report post function and smartphones only survive about 1minute like "Ziedth is Gay/Retarded" keep an eye out and you might see one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

ziedth wrote: »
    He Re-Registers every now and again and posts a few threads that due to report post function and smartphones only survive about 1minute like "Ziedth is Gay/Retarded" keep an eye out and you might see one.
    I thought I was just imagining things....

Ya, Ah he's harmless. Let's me use my MOD powers cause I'd never get a chance otherwise.

Anyway, back on topic. Any trouble so reported tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Seemed pretty quite when i passed on the bike round 10.15. Im sure its in full swing now though

seanybiker wrote: »
    Sorry man/woman .how many cops is there in waterford and how many streets is there in waterford?
    They cant be everywhere at the one time.

majority of ye know that I have guards in the family. That dont make me pro or anti guards. It just gives me an understanding maybe.
    Have me twin brother up in bed now, fast asleep. Back about 5-6 months ago, he was in patrol car and got a call to go to a domestic or whatever ya call it. On the way to it, the boyfriend involved decided to head off in the car, brother and his partner cop, got crashed into head on. Brother broke a couple ribs and bruised a few. then there was the time he got called out after some fela decided to hang himself. This fella was in court a few days later for molesting his own kids. My brother still had to treat the scene as any other scene. Show the man respect bla bla bla even though he was dead. Then had to call to said childrens house and break the news to them and their mother.
    Oh and yeah, a few weeks ago he was arresting someone and in the struggle ended up on the ground and got a full force kick into the face. The hospital said that even though there are pulled muscles in his jaw and his bite is off centre, it should be back to normal within 6 months.
    Then grown up I had my father coming back upset after going to scenes where a child was killed, car crash, fire, murder etc.
    Tell me this. Can you the fooking job and be on every street corner that your supossed to be all at the one time?????? I bet fooking not.
    I wont go into how me other brother ( who is also a guard) got the crap kicked outta him by 5-6 fella's a few years ago, just for being a guard. He's not to sure how many there was as he was unconcious after getting a bar in the head.

grow a bit of common sense before ya decide to bang on about something you dont know about.

As i said before, some are sound and some are coonts.

not sure what your talking about. I don't see anywhere here where people say garda don't have a dangerous job, just as firemen ambulance crew, doormen or taxi drivers. CCTV is there so that garda don't have to be on every street corner. People who rioted in London were not caught at the scene, they were prosecuted later using the recorded footage. Thats what we paid millions for. That isn't happening here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭phelo2121

Was out there about an hourago fairly quiet there was a garda van, car and one on a bike!

Yes I have and it wasn't anything like what's going on now. Do you think it's the same in other areas with loads of students living close together. Why is everyone just focussing on TH.

Everyone is focusing on templers hall because of the mix of residents and students. Do you think that sessions dont exist outside of templers? that people dont walk to and from sessions drinking? Wasnt there similar problems on the ballytruckle road? Different Area, Different students, different year - same problem. Its not unique to templers.
    Theres a housing estate across from University of Limerick, similar enough i guess to templers and guess what, no non students living in there. If you think templers is bad, this place is hell on earth when theres some kind of event on.

Everyone is focusing on templers hall because of the mix of residents and students. Do you think that sessions dont exist outside of templers? that people dont walk to and from sessions drinking? Wasnt there similar problems on the ballytruckle road? Different Area, Different students, different year - same problem. Its not unique to templers.
    Theres a housing estate across from University of Limerick, similar enough i guess to templers and guess what, no non students living in there. If you think templers is bad, this place is hell on earth when theres some kind of event on.

You really are ,missing the point here. Children are kept awake until 4am who have to be up at 9am for school. Babies are being woken by drunking idiots. On the radio we heard young kids are afraid to sleep alone. Parents on medication. If it was all all student estate, Yes! no one would give a monkeys. How can that point be lost on you? Confused!

samsham wrote: »

You really are ,missing the point here. Children are kept awake until 4am who have to be up at 9am for school. Babies are being woken by drunking idiots. On the radio we heard young kids are afraid to sleep alone. Parents on medication. If it was all all student estate, Yes! no one would give a monkeys. How can that point be lost on you? Confused!

If you had bothered to read my previous comments i said i had sympathy for residents. My main point however is that the people there made a foolish decision to move into an estate that was clearly going to filled with students. They may not have known thos at the time but possibly should have thought about it. The problem here is that one group of students may eventually get the message but by next year there wtll be a different group of students ready to pick up where the other guys started. It cant be resolved and someone will end up getting hurt. My point on the estate by UL was that no one dreamed of moving in there that wasnt a student.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

If you had bothered to read my previous comments i said i had sympathy for residents. My main point however is that the people there made a foolish decision to move into an estate that was clearly going to filled with students. They may not have known thos at the time but possibly should have thought about it. The problem here is that one group of students may eventually get the message but by next year there wtll be a different group of students ready to pick up where the other guys started. It cant be resolved and someone will end up getting hurt. My point on the estate by UL was that no one dreamed of moving in there that wasnt a student.

I wouldn't say it was a foolish decision - that's too easy. A lot of families may have been forced to avail of the cheaper prices out of necessity.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

samsham wrote: »
    not sure what your talking about. I don't see anywhere here where people say garda don't have a dangerous job, just as firemen ambulance crew, doormen or taxi drivers. CCTV is there so that garda don't have to be on every street corner. People who rioted in London were not caught at the scene, they were prosecuted later using the recorded footage. Thats what we paid millions for. That isn't happening here.

Grand, it's easy to catch them afterwards, but there's no CCTV in Templars Hall, and there isn't someone manning the CCTV the whole time, only when necessary.

gscully wrote: »
    I wouldn't say it was a foolish decision - that's too easy. A lot of families may have been forced to avail of the cheaper prices out of necessity.

foolish is probably a little bit harsh, however I stand by my statement that more thought should have been put into buying into houses in these estates.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

You are referring to Elm Park. I was a student in UL from 2001-05 and for 2 of the 4 years when I was actually in UL (1 year Erasmus - 8 months Co-op), I lived in off campus in Elm Park or "Card Board City" as we affectionatley referred to it. The estate was built in the late 1970s during the previous housing boom in the State and over the years, alot of the original residents moved out. By the time I arrived in September '01, about 80% of the population were students.

During my time there, I never saw the type of behaviour that is now going on in Templars Hall because the authorities in UL and the SU nipped any potential trouble in the bud by engaging with the local residents and Gardai and asked them to report any untoward behaviour. Anyone who did get out of hand were dealt with appropriatley by the university and civil authority. The problem as I see it is the lack of responsibility from all sides to deal with the problem - WIT managment, SU, local gardaí, residents groups, local businesses. Until all of these groups sit down and draw up an effective plan to tackle the problem in Templar's Hall, the worse it will get. There needs to be a willingness and ability to sort this out and now..

Partizan wrote: »
    You are referring to Elm Park. I was a student in UL from 2001-05 and for 2 of the 4 years when I was actually in UL (1 year Erasmus - 8 months Co-op), I lived in off campus in Elm Park or "Card Board City" as we affectionatley referred to it. The estate was built in the late 1970s during the previous housing boom in the State and over the years, alot of the original residents moved out. By the time I arrived in September '01, about 80% of the population were students.

During my time there, I never saw the type of behaviour that is now going on in Templars Hall because the authorities in UL and the SU nipped any potential trouble in the bud by engaging with the local residents and Gardai and asked them to report any untoward behaviour. Anyone who did get out of hand were dealt with appropriatley by the university and civil authority. The problem as I see it is the lack of responsibility from all sides to deal with the problem - WIT managment, SU, local gardaí, residents groups, local businesses. Until all of these groups sit down and draw up an effective plan to tackle the problem in Templar's Hall, the worse it will get. There needs to be a willingness and ability to sort this out and now..

Its not elm park I was referring to and thats just one small area. As for this lack of trouble in the area, you obviously werent there the one night when the gardai had to remove 6 cars from the middle of the road because lads had lifted them from driveways onto the road, meanwhile there were 6 house paties on one street with the bones of 30 people in each passing from each one to the next by will. Its not unique to waterford lads.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Mod Note

No personal abuse folks. Posting here to get a rise out of people is trolling and isn't welcome.

Thanks

Advertisement