Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Templars Hall ..Getting out of Hand..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

I've been following this thread since the beginning but only now going to pass comment..

I was down in Templars Hall on Monday for County Colours which was in the Dome. I had forgotten my WIT card so wasn't allowed into the Dome so I walked back to Templars on my own at roughly 10pm. I spotted a SU rep around the bend of Briot Drive who was speaking to a resident at the time. I waited until they had finished speaking and explained I had only come down that evening and had left my WIT card at home (1.5 hours away) so obviously couldnt get it but was there any way of going into the Dome without it until the resident interjected and in a smart and IMO condecending tone told me "Go home and sleep it off" " Sher ya can check your results in the morning you'll feel much better for going to bed " as if to say go home you absolute mess of a chap, you're absolutely legless and cant stand, I was no good and that was the reason I'm not back this year- that I spent all last year being a waster.

Now I did feel sorry and bad for the residents of Templars Hall for the past 2 years while I had been living there, for the raised voices every now and then- I, hand on heart didnt think our row was bad last year, but they were subjected to noise, shouting, singing, broken glass etc etc at all hours in the morning until now. I had half a bottle of Bud before leaving Templars Hall and was in no way intoxicated, falling around, causing trouble as you dont get drunk on half a bottle of beer. I didnt care for her tone or manner either. I simply approached the SU rep and asked a simple question, explained I forgot my card and it was grand if there was no way of getting into the dome.

I now feel like- F the residents, they've brought this on themselves. I know its wrong but it would deter many people from having any respect for the residents if they're made to feel like they are a sub class. Yes I do agree that there is a sizeable number of students who do make a disturbance and discomfort to the residents but my respect for the residents has taken a knock because of this and if the residents tar everyone with the same brush I cant see how they'll achieve anything. The students who had respect for the residents will lose it if they feel they are branded troublemakers simply because they're students.

The resident in question mightn't have meant it the way I picked it up but I doubt it, if she didnt I apologise in advance.
    /Rant over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

good post ah watch if only every student had the respect that you do then there would,nt be all this hassle in templars! Your defo from a good upbringing

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭letsbet

@Ah Watch:
    Most of what you said seems to make perfect sense. However, you give out about residents taring all students with the same brush yet after an encounter with one resident you've said you now think "F the residents". Is that not tarring a group with the same brush too? Maybe your encounter was the last of many though I suppose but still it's a bit of a generalisation.

However, overall your point is valid and some residents are obviously going OTT - but in a way you can't blame them. It will often be directed at the wrong people but you can understand why they'd be at the end of their tethers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

letsbet wrote: »
    @Ah Watch:
    Most of what you said seems to make perfect sense. However, you give out about residents taring all students with the same brush yet after an encounter with one resident you've said you now think "F the residents". Is that not tarring a group with the same brush too? Maybe your encounter was the last of many though I suppose but still it's a bit of a generalisation.

However, overall your point is valid and some residents are obviously going OTT - but in a way you can't blame them. It will often be directed at the wrong people but you can understand why they'd be at the end of their tethers.

That is exactly my point. It is tarring everyone with the same brush. From the bad experience with a resident I feel F**K them all (residents) which isnt fair but thats my point, its not fair to tar all students with the one brush. Thinking of students as being wasters or whatever is one thing but speaking to them as if they've done something wrong is another thing. I've spend many a day in Templars over the past 2 summers and see what a nice place it is when children can play in the streets until 9 or 10 in the evening but speak to me in a condecending tone and I've lost respect for the majority of the residents. (I know thats not fair but yada yada yada, guess how some of us students feel...)

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭letsbet

I guess two wrongs must make a right afterall then :) Or if ya can't beat them join them. Either way it's such a shameful situation when so many people get caught up in something that they want no involvement with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Ah watch, ya should have told her to go fook herself. None of her business what you where upto.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

alot of students coming on and blasting the residents tit for tat style and not a single post about the situation in the w.i.t. section of boards which i find strange,
    seems that the residents are treating all students as "guilty by association"which of course is wrong but not suprising considering the 7 or so years of crap they have suffered.i heard on wed that 1 student was setting off fireworks and was about to be nabbed by the garda he jumped a wall and entered the wrong persons back garden and got a few slaps from the owner for his trouble and was still arrested by the cops.:D
    on a good note tho....i also hear that theres some positive dialogue happening between the wit,su,residents and garda to bring about an end to all the trouble,so hopefully the messers will be punished and the decent law abiding wont be tarred with the same brush...both resident and student

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

alot of students coming on and blasting the residents tit for tat style and not a single post about the situation in the w.i.t. section of boards which i find strange,
    thats because the mods(i.e. Sully) will pop up and say this topic has nothing to do with w.i.t. And either close topic move it or give you an infraction for babbling on about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 cman24687

what are the noise laws exactly? is it after 11pm that partys can be interrupted by the gardai for noisiness or is it before that time? thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

cman24687 wrote: »
    what are the noise laws exactly? is it after 11pm that partys can be interrupted by the gardai for noisiness or is it before that time? thank you

It's a big thread so it's easy to miss but legally the Gardaí can't stop a house party. Doesn't matter how loud it is. It comes under a different kind of law. That being said, I'm sure a call to the door by the Gardaí would put the skids on most sessions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 cman24687

im just asking because im a student and last monday i had a house party...it was the only house party i hosted this year and there was only 20 people max in the house. at 9.45 i rang taxis to come and collect us at 10 to bring us to the dome. 5 mins later two guards barged in our door and cleared the sitting room and took my name and student number to give to the college because apparently the neighbours had reported the noise. first of all the 2 houses on either side of us are student houses so it wasnt them who rang on us. it would have had to have been across the road or 2 doors down which considering the fact that nobody from the party was hanging around the front of the house shouting or screaming is very unreasonable. 9.45 is very early to be complaining about noise and in 15 mins we all would have been gone out of the house for the whole night anyways! i mean if common sense isnt gonna prevail then there is no hope of reaching a compromise. an also those 2 gardai that barged in my door without a warrant or without an invite are also in the wrong here too.

I'm no legal expert but I doubt very much the Gardai can just knock on your door and walk into your house without some kind or a warrat.

In answer to your other question I'd imagine the noise would be an issue anytime after like half 7. Similar story with building sites and all. Again though, that is a guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

Ive been following this thread, but this is my first comment on it. This is what the residents of Templar's Hall should do.

1--find out through prtb/land registry who owns the houses that are causing the racket

2--make their lives a complete misery

END OF STORY

This WILL have the desired effect!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dashboard_hula

ziedth wrote: »
    I'm no legal expert but I doubt very much the Gardai can just knock on your door and walk into your house without some kind or a warrat.

Yeah they can stroll away in if they want to find the owner (lets say if they knocked and they could hear people in but nobody answered) or if they suspected criminal activity (which, melodramatic as it sounds, can be as mundane as underage drinking or something).
    ziedth wrote: »
    In answer to your other question I'd imagine the noise would be an issue anytime after like half 7. Similar story with building sites and all. Again though, that is a guess.

Either 11pm or 11.30pm is the council knock-off point for loud music and noises, until 7am in the morning AFAIK.

Yeah they can stroll away in if they want to find the owner (lets say if they knocked and they could hear people in but nobody answered) or if they suspected criminal activity (which, melodramatic as it sounds, can be as mundane as underage drinking or something).

Either 11pm or 11.30pm is the council knock-off point for loud music and noises, until 7am in the morning AFAIK.

Very interesting. I guess I watch too much American TV.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Its a tough area alright, but most wont object if a guard asks to come in.

Don't think we have any laws like this, bar car horns.

Sully wrote: »
    Its a tough area alright, but most wont object if a guard asks to come in.

I can't remember where I heard it, but I don't think I'm the only one who believes it. I used to have neighbours above and below me who played really loud, really bad Polish techno until bang on half 11 on weekend nights when the music was turned off and replaced by fairly quiet hum of voices.
    I'm nearly certain there's some regulation around, if not it sounds pretty reasonable anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Solutions to Templar's Hall Troubles

Wednesday, 12th October 2011

Last Thursday a meeting was held to discuss antisocial behaviour that has been causing widespread concern in the Templar's Hall area of the city.

Representatives of the Gardai and the Templer's Hall Resident's Association were present as well as Cllr. John Hearne. After a lengthy meeting it was agreed by all sides to support the following points.

1. The Gardai would log all trouble in houses and would go to court to back private prosecutions by residents.
    2. The residents will take to court rogue landlords who do not run orderly houses.
    3. The residents will keep a log them-selves to gather evidence against rogue landlords.
    4. The Gardai will ask taxis to keep the radio volume down and not to beep horns.
    5. The residents have also agreed to cut the number of people on patrol to ease tensions.
    6. The Residents’ Association would like to thank the Community Guard Eamonn McCarthy and the W.I.T. Student Union leader Conor Doyle for all their hard work.
    7. The Gardai have agreed to keep up their numbers to support the people in the estate.

Cllr. John Hearne said that this is a good result for all the residents who suffer from antisocial behaviour. He would also like to commend the residents for standing up for their community. Cllr. Hearne is also delighted that the college have fined students and made them clean up the whole estate and are making them throw a party for the children that have been kept awake at night.

He firmly believes that all of these

measures will bed down this problem in future.

Taking from the frontpage of this weeks Waterford Today..
    Looks like they're going to really try target the landlords (rightly so IMO )

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭buttonteaser

just heard the end of something on wlr. last night was bad?? any information

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sully wrote: »

There is however its under the remit of the EPA not the council or Gardai.
    Generally anything between 11pm and 7am above a certain DB is breaking the law

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/environmental_protection/noise_regulations.html

Environmental Protection Agency Act, 1992
    Noise as a nuisance.

108.—(1) Where any noise which is so loud, so continuous, so repeated, of such duration or pitch or occurring at such times as to give reasonable cause for annoyance to a person in any premises in the neighbourhood or to a person lawfully using any public place, a local authority, the Agency or any such person may complain to the District Court and the Court may order the person or body making, causing or responsible for the noise to take the measures necessary to reduce the noise to a specified level or to take specified measures for the prevention or limitation of the noise and the person or body concerned shall comply with such order.

(2) It shall be a good defence, in the case of proceedings under subsection (1) or in a prosecution for a contravention of this section, in the case of noise caused in the course of a trade or business, for the accused to prove that—

(a) he took all reasonable care to prevent or limit the noise to which the complaint relates by providing, maintaining, using, operating and supervising facilities, or by employing practices or methods of operation, that, having regard to all the circumstances, were suitable for the purposes of such prevention or limitation, or

(b) the noise is in accordance with—

(i) the terms of a licence under this Act, or

(ii) regulations under section 106 .

(3) Before a complaint is made to the District Court under subsection (1) the local authority or the person concerned, as the case may be, shall serve a notice in the prescribed form of the intention to make such a complaint, within such time as may be specified in the notice, on the person alleged to have made or have caused or have been responsible for the noise.

(4) This section shall not apply to noise caused by—

(a) aircraft, or

(b) such statutory undertaker or local authority, as may be prescribed, in the exercise of powers conferred on it by or under any enactment in such circumstances as may be prescribed.

Regulations for control of noise.

106.—(1) The Minister may, following consultation with any Minister of the Government who in the opinion of the Minister is concerned and with the Agency, make regulations for the purpose of the prevention or limitation of any noise which may give rise to a nuisance or disamenity, constitute a danger to health, or damage property.

(2) Without prejudice to the generality of subsection (1), regulations under this section may provide for all or any of the following—

(a) controlling sources of noise,

(b) (i) specifying maximum limits for noise either generally or in specified areas or classes of areas,

(ii) specifying maximum limits for noise emissions, from or into premises or classes of premises, either generally or at specified periods, or

(iii) specifying maximum limits of noise levels in prescribed premises,

(c) regulating the operation, including licensing, of trades, processes or works, including the timing and control of movements of vehicles and the operation of engines and plant which are, or may be, sources of noise,

(d) limiting or prohibiting the use of loudspeakers in or adjoining public places, including different provisions for different places or classes of places and at different times, and subject to such exceptions as may be specified,

(e) the measurement of noise and the investigation of noise effects, or

(f) the imposition of charges or the payment of fees for the purposes of the regulations or for services performed thereunder.

(3) The Act of 1963 is hereby amended by the addition at the end of Part IV of the Third Schedule of the entry: “14. Securing the reduction or prevention of noise.”.

As for rented houses like those in Templers then the following would apply http://www.askaboutireland.ie/reading-room/environment-geography/environmental-information/noise/noise-regulations/domestic-noise/
    Private Rented Tenants:

Those in private rented accommodation are dealt with by the Residential Tenancies Act 2004. The act helps impose minimum obligations on landlords and tenants of private residential properties including:

Tenants are not to engage, or allow visitors to engage, in anti-social behaviour, which disturbs the peace
    Landlords must enforce these tenant obligations

There is also leverage in the act for people to complain to the Private Residential Tenancies Board, if they feel the landlord is not acting accordingly. Since December 2004, all privately-rented properties must be registered with the PRTB. You can check if a property is registered by contacting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭THEIRISHMOB

Very Simple solution:
    Residents should photograph and or Video the problems.
    Video would have the noise issue as well as the problem people and houses.

Then they have proof for:
    The garda.
    The landlord.
    WIT.

SIMPLE?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SillyMcCarthy

How many houses are rented as opposed to residents if you get my drift!
    I personally would have my own solution to this issue but I'm sure I wouldn't be allowed to put it here. Surely there would be enough men on the estate to sort out any issues?

Hey, when is Halloween!!!

How many houses are rented as opposed to residents if you get my drift!
    I personally would have my own solution to this issue but I'm sure I wouldn't be allowed to put it here. Surely there would be enough men on the estate to sort out any issues?

Hey, when is Halloween!!!

Doubt it, one man per resident house I'd imagine on average when there could be 5/6 in a student house.

I'm glad they might get some bit of peace and nothing happened to anyone.

im curious to know just how can the college "make"the students clean up the estate and how can they inforce "fines".

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

im curious to know just how can the college "make"the students clean up the estate and how can they inforce "fines".

Good question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

I am glad Templars Hall has been sorted out but Manor street which is a thousand times worse every night and nothing is every done about it. Templars hall have it good compared to the Manor. I hope the Guards will try and sort out everywhere in town from drunken louts not just one place.

The college has a code of conduct that all students are bound by. They can enforce any action they deem appropriate to the situation ie. having students clean up a street that was wrecked during a party they threw etc. If the alternative to non-compliance is suspension or expulsion, and having to explain that to their parents, then I wouldn't see many people refusing.

Also the fines go into the student assistance fund.

The college has a code of conduct that all students are bound by. They can enforce any action they deem appropriate to the situation ie. having students clean up a street that was wrecked during a party they threw etc. If the alternative to non-compliance is suspension or expulsion, and having to explain that to their parents, then I wouldn't see many people refusing.

Also the fines go into the student assistance fund.

thanks for answering my question,this will hopefully bring an end to the larger house partys that get out of hand in templars,only a fool would have a party and run the risk of fines,suspension/expulsion due to the actions of the party goers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

deisedave wrote: »
    I am glad Templars Hall has been sorted out but Manor street which is a thousand times worse every night and nothing is every done about it. Templars hall have it good compared to the Manor. I hope the Guards will try and sort out everywhere in town from drunken louts not just one place.

Might be worth having a chat with the residents in Templars, they have proved community spirit is not dead, just goes to show what can be achieved, when they come together.

Advertisement