Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Templars Hall ..Getting out of Hand..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭deiselack

deisedave wrote: »
    What you suggest could be done to keep both sides happy?

Wish I knew tbh. How about purpose student built accommodation? Or a specific student section in the estate. I know thats a lot to ask for in these times but at least families and working people would have a chance to have a normal life. Maybe it's a problem that's everywhere I don't know. My friend that moved has rented her house out to students, she keeps a close eye on them, they are 3rd years so they're not trouble.

Was Templar's Hall initally student built or just a private estate???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭G S R

deiselack wrote: »
    Wish I knew tbh. How about purpose student built accommodation? Or a specific student section in the estate. I know thats a lot to ask for in these times but at least families and working people would have a chance to have a normal life. Maybe it's a problem that's everywhere I don't know. My friend that moved has rented her house out to students, she keeps a close eye on them, they are 3rd years so they're not trouble.

Was Templar's Hall initally student built or just a private estate???

It was initially private but I'd imagine is was marketed towards second homeowners etc... who could rent out to students.

What I can't understand is why there's not as much trouble in other estates such as Lismore Park where there would also be a large section taken up by the student population 9 months a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

The only people that can fix the problem in Templars Hall is the landlords ,

In this day and age where landlords have to meet certains rules and regs before renting/leasing out their property .Surely a set of rules dealing with anti-social behaviour etc can be introduced before a property can be use/registered as students accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭billythepig

ziedth wrote: »
    I wonder which "side" the person who did this is on. Could easily be students dicking around or a fed up resident. Really awful thing to do in fairness. If the wrong thing was under the letter opening then the house could have gone up fairly quickly and I'd be surprised at that time of the night those in the house would be alert.

more then likely it was a student, somehow i cannot see a normal resident who have familys to look after and work to go to walking the streets of templers at 3am in the morning sticking firelighters into letterboxs,
    some students are really scum of the earth.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

more then likely it was a student, somehow i cannot see a normal resident who have familys to look after and work to go to walking the streets of templers at 3am in the morning sticking firelighters into letterboxs,
    some students are really scum of the earth.

Residents are no angels in this and have been around at 3am complaining about students and recording them on cameras.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Speaking of which. Someone said that a resident was filming the students and posting them on youtube. Anybody have the link to this channel if its still around?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Speaking of which. Someone said that a resident was filming the students and posting them on youtube. Anybody have the link to this channel if its still around?

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=templars+hall+waterford+&oq=templers+hall&aq=0s&aqi=g-s3&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=2524l5453l0l6508l15l13l0l0l0l0l289l2569l0.7.6l13l0

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭THall04

Sully wrote: »
    Residents are no angels in this and have been around at 3am complaining about students and recording them on cameras.

There's a big difference between trying to set fire to an occupied house and complaining about or recording anti-social behaviour ....one is a serious criminal act..one isn't.

No matter who did it , it's good to see the Gardai taking this seriously , they've been around tonight doing door to door enquiries.
    Just now I had to give them a statement with some personal details and account of my whereabouts last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

how come the students have no problem posting vids of themselves acting the fool on youtube but the minute someone else points a camera at them or puts a microphone in front of them they bitch about their right of privacy and being intimidated by residents???????
    for years most of the students denied it was them doing anything anti-social"just having a few drinks,letting off steam etc" but i've seen the vids of girls p1ss1ng on the street,fellas breaking bottles and shouting at all hours waking the whole place up and i feel the residents have a right to document everything that go's on down there.
    i lived in templars hall for 5 years,hated every wednesday night and it was the most stressfull 5 years of my life.i really feel for both resident and decent students in the estate but i can only see 1 outcome to all this and its that someone will be seriously hurt soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Seen one video of a student asleep on his car about about 5:30 in the morning. to be honest, I dont see anything wrong with some fella getting lifted outside and placed on a car with his duvet and mattress with him. Fook it, he was harming nobody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

seanybiker wrote: »
    Seen one video of a student asleep on his car about about 5:30 in the morning. to be honest, I dont see anything wrong with some fella getting lifted outside and placed on a car with his duvet and mattress with him. Fook it, he was harming nobody.

Ive been thrown outside naked. (Not in templars)
    That fcuker got away lightly :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Ive been thrown outside naked. (Not in templars)
    That fcuker got away lightly :pac:

Yeah exactly. He got off really lightly. Poor fella having a nap and some resident catching him on camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

Residents are families living in the estate, they might have reacted but they were pushed and they are one hundred percent right in this situation. Students are making life hell for them. Anyone who disagrees would have in some way ties to WIT in my opinion.

thy have every right to video th little bastards,
    these people paid big money to buy these houses where as bastering students pay fcuk all to live in them and destroy other peoples lives...

STUDENTS ARE SCUM...END OF

how come the students have no problem posting vids of themselves acting the fool on youtube but the minute someone else points a camera at them or puts a microphone in front of them they bitch about their right of privacy and being intimidated by residents???????
    for years most of the students denied it was them doing anything anti-social"just having a few drinks,letting off steam etc" but i've seen the vids of girls p1ss1ng on the street,fellas breaking bottles and shouting at all hours waking the whole place up and i feel the residents have a right to document everything that go's on down there.
    i lived in templars hall for 5 years,hated every wednesday night and it was the most stressfull 5 years of my life.i really feel for both resident and decent students in the estate but i can only see 1 outcome to all this and its that someone will be seriously hurt soon.

I totally agree, these scum bastering students think they have the right to Fcuk other peoples lives up, but when the sh*t is on their doorstep they want the world to take notice and take pity on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭G S R

these people paid big money to buy these houses where as bastering students pay fcuk all to live in them and destroy other peoples lives...

A bit of a generalisation there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

How does that make the residents (owner-residents) wrong? If antisocial behaviour keeps them out of bed and recording people then they are fully entitled to complain. There should be nothing to film at that time of the morning.

As for the suggestion that it is up to WIT to organise student accommodation so that these people can party and riot in a designated area, that is totally ridiculous. What about the students who are there because they actually want to study? Why spend public money to allow hooligans to do what they want?

How about if the students were warned by WIT, and if antisocial behaviour from a particular house continues then all members of that house are expelled from WIT. Anyone who does not want to be tarred can move to other accommodation in the meantime. For heavens sake, people have enough problems to deal with without pussy-footing round irresponsible, spoiled brats who have no interest in studying.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Up2NoGood

hardybuck wrote: »
    Appalling comment. Whoever is responsible has committed a serious crime, and all concerned are fortunate that we aren't talking about an awful tragedy.

Edit: The way I'm reading this incident, students have been targeted in some form of vigilante style attack.

If you are saying that an example should be made of whoever has done this, obviously I totally agree with you.

WTF, are you serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Up2NoGood wrote: »
    WTF, are you serious?

Am I serious about what?

seanybiker wrote: »

Dude, that is probably the least aggressive incident that has occurred in templers hall

• Advertisement

targeting students.... spend one Wednesday night in templers hall and see for your self,

deisedave wrote: »
    Residents are families living in the estate, they might have reacted but they were pushed and they are one hundred percent right in this situation. Students are making life hell for them. Anyone who disagrees would have in some way ties to WIT in my opinion.

Indeed, I am sure they were. Tbh, they seem to talk like it was a surprise that they were living with students. Its right beside the college, the houses are cheap and not in the best of condition - perfect for students. Even the Student Union president did/does live there for a few years. Its exactly the type of place students would live in and a lot of people bought houses for that purpose - renting to students. No estate beside a college is going to be "family friendly".

All I was saying that while many students are not perfect and causing a lot of grief, so are the residents. Two wrongs do not make a right. Like students, a fair few residents are acting like "scum" and "thugs".

Never said they had no right but it just puts fuel on a fire tbh - like a red rag to a bull. Iv seen a woman recording with the camera shouting abuse as they get into taxis. She does a running commentary in the early hours of the morning. This was 3 years ago now, so I can only imagine what its like now.

As for your sweeping generalization - most students do not live in this estate and do not go out to get drunk and cause trouble (which is an Irish thing anyway). Many students, like myself when I was in WIT, did my best in college and didn't go out every night/Wednesday/weekend on the piss. I had friends in templers, who were quiet folk. Rarely had a party and their idea of a party would be 3-4 people watching TV, having a laugh, ordering Dominos and maybe a few beers. But nothing to get upset about and never any complaints from neighbours and/or the Guards. They were students.

So no, not all students are scum.
    I totally agree, these scum bastering students think they have the right to Fcuk other peoples lives up, but when the sh*t is on their doorstep they want the world to take notice and take pity on them.

News to me. Its not the students going to their TD or Councillors. Its not a student rep going onto the radio or getting into the papers to have a go at the residents. Thats all one-way traffic. Many of those causing trouble are not taking much notice of the residents.

But you will get many people pointing out that many in that estate are not causing any trouble and they have every right to have a party once in a while as long as its civilised and not noisy/causing a disturbance.
    looksee wrote: »
    How does that make the residents (owner-residents) wrong? If antisocial behaviour keeps them out of bed and recording people then they are fully entitled to complain. There should be nothing to film at that time of the morning.

Never objected to it.
    As for the suggestion that it is up to WIT to organise student accommodation so that these people can party and riot in a designated area, that is totally ridiculous. What about the students who are there because they actually want to study? Why spend public money to allow hooligans to do what they want?

Never suggested it.
    How about if the students were warned by WIT, and if antisocial behaviour from a particular house continues then all members of that house are expelled from WIT. Anyone who does not want to be tarred can move to other accommodation in the meantime. For heavens sake, people have enough problems to deal with without pussy-footing round irresponsible, spoiled brats who have no interest in studying.

Completely agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭letsbet

No estate beside a college is going to be "family friendly".

This comment really is incredible. Firstly, there are lots of estates near the college where there is nowhere near the level of trouble that there is in TH. Secondly, why should it be acceptable for students to behave in this manner. To suggest that if you live near students then you should expect to have hassle is an incredible attitude. Students should abide by the laws of the land and decency like everyone else. The attitude of "ah sure they're students, what do you expect" is ridiculous. Most students don't behave like this so why do the residents of this estate have to put up with it or take any blame for buying houses there. They're entitled to their peace and quiet like anyone else. This type of pandering to students as if they have a right to act the bo**ocks is really annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

letsbet wrote: »
    This comment really is incredible. Firstly, there are lots of estates near the college where there is nowhere near the level of trouble that there is in TH. Secondly, why should it be acceptable for students to behave in this manner. To suggest that if you live near students then you should expect to have hassle is an incredible attitude. Students should abide by the laws of the land and decency like everyone else. The attitude of "ah sure they're students, what do you expect" is ridiculous. Most students don't behave like this so why do the residents of this estate have to put up with it or take any blame for buying houses there. They're entitled to their peace and quiet like anyone else. This type of pandering to students as if they have a right to act the bo**ocks is really annoying.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree , its this attitude over the years that has led to this type of anti social behaviour steady increase and get out of hand , some think Waterford or others towns and Cities all over Ireland should be blessed that they grace us with their presents . And that their (not all) behaviour is a small price to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Up2NoGood wrote: »
    targeting students.... spend one Wednesday night in templers hall and see for your self,

Well, your comments are very light on detail, but if I'm following you correctly yes I wouldn't be surprised if students may have been targeted here.

I've heard plenty of people here and elsewhere say they deserve this and deserve that. So, I wouldn't be surprised if someone gets a nasty surprise going by some of the strong emotions that are out there, particularly in that end of town.

Also, to the people posting videos on the internet, Irish legislation on right to privacy and IT law in general is a bit grey, but you may well be breaking the law here yourselves. Might be worth checking out.

Indeed, I am sure they were. Tbh, they seem to talk like it was a surprise that they were living with students. Its right beside the college, the houses are cheap and not in the best of condition - perfect for students. Even the Student Union president did/does live there for a few years. Its exactly the type of place students would live in and a lot of people bought houses for that purpose - renting to students. No estate beside a college is going to be "family friendly".

All I was saying that while many students are not perfect and causing a lot of grief, so are the residents. Two wrongs do not make a right. Like students, a fair few residents are acting like "scum" and "thugs".

Never said they had no right but it just puts fuel on a fire tbh - like a red rag to a bull. Iv seen a woman recording with the camera shouting abuse as they get into taxis. She does a running commentary in the early hours of the morning. This was 3 years ago now, so I can only imagine what its like now.

As for your sweeping generalization - most students do not live in this estate and do not go out to get drunk and cause trouble (which is an Irish thing anyway). Many students, like myself when I was in WIT, did my best in college and didn't go out every night/Wednesday/weekend on the piss. I had friends in templers, who were quiet folk. Rarely had a party and their idea of a party would be 3-4 people watching TV, having a laugh, ordering Dominos and maybe a few beers. But nothing to get upset about and never any complaints from neighbours and/or the Guards. They were students.

So no, not all students are scum.

News to me. Its not the students going to their TD or Councillors. Its not a student rep going onto the radio or getting into the papers to have a go at the residents. Thats all one-way traffic. Many of those causing trouble are not taking much notice of the residents.

But you will get many people pointing out that many in that estate are not causing any trouble and they have every right to have a party once in a while as long as its civilised and not noisy/causing a disturbance.

Never objected to it.

Never suggested it.

Completely agree.

try living there with your family and see what its like having scum students acting the dopes and destroying other peoples lives,
    il stick to my word, A BUNCH OF SCUM IS WHAT THEY ARE.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

some of the cooments on here are completely out of order .

saying all students are this & all students are that is very immature. Obviously some students are causing problems but very obviously not ALL students are .... similar remarks about any other group would get people banned on here & arrested in the real world. & taking that attitude doesn't help the situation. If a few residents acted out of order, would it be right to say all Waterford people are this, that or the other. It's time a bit of maturity was shown by some people .....

mind you, it's fairly obvious that certain creatures are only here for a Troll!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

try living there with your family and see what its like having scum students acting the dopes and destroying other peoples lives,
    il stick to my word, A BUNCH OF SCUM IS WHAT THEY ARE.

Why dont you contact the landlords then, instead of coming on here complaining. No one here is going to listen to you when you make comments like that. With your kind of attitude, do you really think your helping anyone. No one can do anything about the students and what the small minority get up to except the landlords.

How you havnt been banned already is beyond me, and i dont think you will have long left around here if you keep it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

People who play with fire usually get burned. Stupid thing by whoever did it. If they killed someone they would be playing a sad tune in the pokey for a long time! Give em a beaten, don't try to kill em!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

The most annoying thing is when these students graduate and become "professionals" they will be the first person to complain about a party next door when they have work the next day. These people are the future of the country and they really should be respectful, ffs I am not saying all students are scum because they are not. Students are just people and as people they get freedom at 18 and party way to hard but I would love to see convictions for the aholes who are in templars hall, I would love to see them get into a professional career with a conviction.

Advertisement