Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Templars Hall ..Getting out of Hand..

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

This thread's name should be changed to " templars hall...completely out of hand"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

michellie wrote: »
    This thread's name should be changed to " templars hall...completely out of hand"

Unfortunately I dont think there is really much that can be done down there.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

letsbet wrote: »
    This comment really is incredible. Firstly, there are lots of estates near the college where there is nowhere near the level of trouble that there is in TH.

Two things - firstly, it shows that not all students are trouble. Secondly, a lot of the estates close to the college have a lot of settled families there and elderly compared with Templers Hall which isn't.
    Secondly, why should it be acceptable for students to behave in this manner. To suggest that if you live near students then you should expect to have hassle is an incredible attitude. Students should abide by the laws of the land and decency like everyone else. The attitude of "ah sure they're students, what do you expect" is ridiculous. Most students don't behave like this so why do the residents of this estate have to put up with it or take any blame for buying houses there. They're entitled to their peace and quiet like anyone else. This type of pandering to students as if they have a right to act the bo**ocks is really annoying.

Well to be fair, if your living around hundreds of students you should expect drink consumed, partying, taxis arriving and picking people up to head to the clubs etc. Its not just Ireland or Waterford that has this problem. That was my point. Obviously some are going WAY beyond this, which isn't fair on residents. I'm all for laws about noise reduction in estates at certain times, and heavy penalties for those who ignore it. They are clearly not breaking any laws since the Guards are not arresting people.
    try living there with your family and see what its like having scum students acting the dopes and destroying other peoples lives,
    il stick to my word, A BUNCH OF SCUM IS WHAT THEY ARE.

You see, people like yourself (and tbh at this stage I would wonder are/were you even a resident) give the residents a bad name and paint a poor picture of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭billythepig

Sully wrote: »

You see, people like yourself (and tbh at this stage I would wonder are/were you even a resident) give the residents a bad name and paint a poor picture of them.

how is calling a bunch of scumbag students "a bunch of scumbags" giving the residents a bad name?
    you should take off your "I LOVE STUDENTS HAT" and take a trip out there some wednesday night and see the SCUM in action.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

how is calling a bunch of scumbag students "a bunch of scumbags" giving the residents a bad name?
    you should take off your "I LOVE STUDENTS HAT" and take a trip out there some wednesday night and see the SCUM in action.

Indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Sully wrote: »
    No estate beside a college is going to be "family friendly".

i'm an ex-WIT student. So what your saying is that Lismore Park, Ballybeg, and Hillview - where I used to live - are not 'family friendly'? OMG that is complete BS of the highest order.

Its up to the students to fit in and respect there neighbors. Likewise the neighbors have to show some respect. But you try living it (i'd say you never have) as a resident and youd be singin a different tune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

7upfree wrote: »
    i'm an ex-WIT student. So what your saying is that Lismore Park, Ballybeg, and Hillview - where I used to live - are not 'family friendly'? OMG that is complete BS of the highest order.

Its up to the students to fit in and respect there neighbors. Likewise the neighbors have to show some respect. But you try living it (i'd say you never have) as a resident and youd be singin a different tune.
    Doesn't seem to be as many students in hillview as there used to be. All the ones I met up here over the years have been really sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

What is the ratio between students/residents houses would anyone have an idea?

ziedth wrote: »
    yeah sure. The ratio is found out by comparing one thing to another thing.

Oops double post. Delete delete

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭THall04

ziedth wrote: »

The article in the Sunday World , a few weeks back said there were 311 houses in the estate and 261 of those housed about 1000 students.....which would give a ratio of about six to one.

I find that hard to believe.....there may be 261 houses rented on the estate but not all of these are student houses.

On my road about half the houses are rented to students....although this could be much higher in other parts of Templars Hall.

Whatever the ratio is , its far higher that its ever been in any other estate in Waterford.
    Although this wasn't always the case....but as more residents moved out in 2005/2006 (when you could still sell a house)...more students moved in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Mega bump, it sounds like Escape From New York at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Think waterford Crystal should be bought by the college and made into a student campus. Would help ease students out of places such as templars Hall, and hopefully then houses their can become rentals for professionals or sold to homeowners.

Massive costs in buying the site and building student apartments there but considering wit shouldn't be paying income tax like landlords there is also massive profits to be made.

Also the students can party all they like up there, the colleges reputation does not take a battering and most importantly places like templars Hall can become what they were built for - nice residential estates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

I wonder if the residents ever thought of disrupting the exams when they are on?
    What's good for the Goose is good for the Gander!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

I wonder if the residents ever thought of disrupting the exams when they are on?
    What's good for the Goose is good for the Gander!

Rarely agree with you but finally you might be on to something!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,387 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I wonder if the residents ever thought of disrupting the exams when they are on? What's good for the Goose is good for the Gander!

It's a difficult one to solve, but I'd imagine, not all students live in templers!

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    It's a difficult one to solve, but I'd imagine, not all students live in templers!

It wouldn't bother me one little bit if my life was being affected by them!
    It might make them more collectively aware if it were to happen!

It wouldn't bother me one little bit if my life was being affected by them! It might make them more collectively aware if it were to happen!

Collectively aware! I'd say the ones that are causing the issues couldn't give a rats arse, but punishing all students, some who work, have families etc etc, may not be a good idea, but a collective protest on site, during term, might be a good idea. Any idea how bad templers is now?

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Collectively aware! I'd say the ones that are causing the issues couldn't give a rats arse, but punishing all students, some who work, have families etc etc, may not be a good idea, but a collective protest on site, during term, might be a good idea. Any idea how bad templers is now?

Ah the Waterford way! Avoid dealing with an issue instead of confronting it!
    Stick the head in the sand and the problem will pass!
    Is it any wonder that's why we are where we are today!

Ah the Waterford way! Avoid dealing with an issue instead of confronting it! Stick the head in the sand and the problem will pass! Is it any wonder that's why we are where we are today!

Distrupting exams may in fact exasperate the situation, I'd imagine the underlining issues creating this situation are complex, the increased availability of alcohol and drugs being one such factor

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

My own solution is expensive but probably the only long term one - a compound of flats behind high barbwire fences with searchlight towers and when they leave it's in buses straight to the college!

My own solution is expensive but probably the only long term one - a compound of flats behind high barbwire fences with searchlight towers and when they leave it's in buses straight to the college!

hahaha, excellent

Advertisement