Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Templars Hall ..Getting out of Hand..

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

In fairness..journalism these days is just rehashing stuff you see on twitter/Facebook/boards...he at least got off his arse

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭iphonehead

In fairness..journalism these days is just rehashing stuff you see on twitter/Facebook/boards...he at least got off his arse

Its my point exactly - at least he tried and went out there. I'm not being pro-WLR, or lauding any production values (although I did think this report was particularly well 'mixed' if thats the word), I'm simply saying that at least this guy went out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

rabble rabble rabble some buzz everyone callin students this n that but if ya even spell travellers wrong ya get a boards baitin

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭letsbet

merlante wrote: »
    CAO points for degree courses for this year are available here. These are absolute minimum points, not averages or highs:

In most cases, the weakest students in the year are around the 300 mark. That might put the average at 350. In some cases, such as Architecture, Psychology and Nursing the minimum is 380-400, meaning the average might be 400-450.

So to say that very few would have gotten above 350 is ridiculous. 350 is more like the average, or below the average, for degree programmes.

No it isn't. The poster is spot on in what they say about these low achievers. Take that from someone who has attended or lectured in three third-level institutes in Ireland. What the average points are is not the issue anyway - it's the quantity of students with very low points - and that's increasing every year. Don't forget that you don't have to get the minimum points anyway to get into the course. There are loads of students in WIT that don't belong in third-level education. They should be doing a trade or something else. They have no interest in being there, and often become angry and disillusioned with nothing other to do than cause trouble. Before someone says that I'm generalising - I'm not, I'm talking about a significant minority of students - most of them are decent and don't go out causing trouble or wasting taxpayers money. That's not being snobbish btw it's an observation from the majority of the staff out there that I've talked to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

rabble rabble rabble some buzz everyone callin students this n that but if ya even spell travellers wrong ya get a boards baitin

People are calling these students this and that because they are "this and that". This particular bunch are nothin but little scumbags who are ruining the lives of people who put every penny they own into their houses to have to put up with sh!t from little fucxers who think they can do what they want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭MikeyReilly

Just listened to the special report on WLR's website. Felt myself getting more angry as the report went on. The barefaced cheek of the students that he interviewed. Would they're replys be so smartarsed if he was a Guard? Or if they're own parents were listening? Don't think so.

I used to be a resident of Templars Hall. Bought a house there June 2004 and had sold it again by January 2005! It was exactly as it is now seven years later. Rang the Gardai on many occasions and to be fair they can only call and tell them to turn the music off and keep the noise down. If we hadn't got out when we did god knows what I would have done. There was a couple of nights when my wife had to physically stop me from going out to them with a hurley.

The W.I.T. and the Students Union really need to sort this problem out not just in Templars Hall but all the estates around the town that have a high number of students renting houses. They need to get tougher with these little ****s causing all this aggro. Throw them out of college if they keep doing it. I also think the Gardai could adopt a zero tolerance approach to the anti-social behaviour. If your drinking cans on the street you get arrested. Simple as that.

I don't live in the city anymore but I really sympathise with the residents of Templars Hall. If nothing is done about this problem I feel something bad will eventually happen. You can only push people so far before they snap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭samsham

Was it the wan who is doing a psychology degree the same wan that was babbling on about being forced to go out. She never even heard of the phrase peer pressure! Those poor people living there - your heart would go out to them having to deal with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Absolute gob****es. I bet even when sober they think they're doing nothing wrong and that the residents are a pain in the hole. I come across spastics like this a lot, they can't accept they're doing anything wrong ever and substitute their own realities thinking that what they're doing is okay.

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Absolute gob****es. I bet even when sober they think they're doing nothing wrong and that the residents are a pain in the hole. I come across spastics like this a lot, they can't accept they're doing anything wrong ever and substitute their own realities thinking that what they're doing is okay.

Try telling them to stop talking or texting in class only for them to tell you that they weren't even though you saw them. They'll swear blindly to you that they didn't. Sometimes they'll then admit to it and almost give out to you for daring to tell (or ask) them to stop. They'll then shrug their shoulders, sigh and do everything in their power not to say "am I bovered". Probably the same fella who gave out to the interviewer from WLR for saying mmm instead of "yes or no" would be the one who wouldn't even answer you in class when you ask them what they're doing. Complete wasters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

letsbet wrote: »
    Try telling them to stop talking or texting in class only for them to tell you that they weren't even though you saw them. They'll swear blindly to you that they didn't. Sometimes they'll then admit to it and almost give out to you for daring to tell (or ask) them to stop. They'll then shrug their shoulders, sigh and do everything in their power not to say "am I bovered". Probably the same fella who gave out to the interviewer from WLR for saying mmm instead of "yes or no" would be the one who wouldn't even answer you in class when you ask them what they're doing. Complete wasters.

Yes, they will defend their innocence to the last and make a big fuss over it even though they obviously are at fault. Its like some mental disease people have, Im not sure what you would call it. They shouldn't even be in college and really don't deserve it. Thousands of college places are wasted every year by these dopes.
    It seems its becoming more prevalent amongst people these days and makes me worried about the state the general public will be in in the future if they wont ever learn to accept their wrongs.

I could rant on all night about this but I think its time for me to sleep. At least Ill be getting a good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

cocoshovel wrote: »
    At least Ill be getting a good one.
    Show off :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

Its so near the college that its always going to get students live there, Lismore Pk was the same for years..... I find it hard to even think about that happening regularly around me where im living and them getting away with it. There are a few houses around here with students in them, but none are half as bad as that...

I woudlnt be able for 1 smart remark from a fella in the cold light of day, let alone at 12midnight from a smart little ****er while my kids try to sleep, I would def be in prison at this stage...

Something more should be done, WLR has raised the issue and fair play to em, but something further needs to be done, to prevent this happening in private estates.

There is three blocks of apartments on the college grounds, you can't get any closer to WIT than that. There is never any trouble there, why? because there would be consequences to any anti-social behavior. The Garda allowed this to fester. Cautions were the response to these thugs and there behavior in the past. Who's afraid of a lame caution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 billabong24

I'm a student in WIT and also I live in Templars. While I feel awful for what the residents have had to put up with for the past number of years, I cannot condone what I witnessed outside my own house last night. First of all, a house party was commencing next door last night, the only way I knew about this was when I opened my front door to see if there was any commotion happening outside. The landlords and students union of WIT were on board and had dealt with the issue very quickly. For those of you who think there is not a sufficient amount of time being put into solving the problem in Templars, you are wrong. From the hours of approx 10-4 every Monday and Wednesday night without fail, the students union are out patrolling the streets and breaking up house parties which are getting out of hand. Last night, I would not have known there was any form of house party going on next door if I hadn't gone outside. I heard nothing and I was sitting in my front sitting room. I too have woken up in the early hours to hear people coming back from nightclubs, but I've come immune to it at this stage, it's the way of life in Waterford, especially for college.

As for what I witnessed last night, I am still extremely upset and angered by this. At half 11 last night approximately 30 residents arrived at my front door surrounding 1 student; they were screaming and shouting at him and this student was obviously extremely distressed as he knocked on my front door trying to get inside and away from them. Next thing was the residents banging down my front door shouting that we were having a house party inside and for us all to get out. My house mate and I were the only ones in the house at the time and as two girls on our own in a house with a large number of angry people outside we were terrified! So much for my quite night in watching tv...The residents are targeting the wrong students in Templars Hall, before last night I felt genuinely sorry for them, but now, that feeling has somewhat changed quite a bit!! Something has to be done before someone gets hurt.. I'm sensing flames and pitchforks appearing next week in Templars.. help!!!

On an end note, for the person who said that most students in WIT are not high achievers, go take a long walk off a short plank.. Some of the most respected and well known characters in Ireland today have come out of WIT, and I hope to be among that proud list in years to come.

That doesn't sound fun billabong. If there was 30 there last night I can only imagine it won't be long till it kicks off out there.
    It's people like yourself and the locals that suffer with this carry on.

Regarding the low acheivers comment. Don't mind that shyte.

billabong24 Quote "My house mate and I were the only ones in the house at the time and as two girls on our own in a house with a large number of angry people outside we were terrified"

You just described what it must be like for parents alone with small kids as thugs outside shout and roar breaking beer bottles, even killing each other. The residents your describing were with local councilors, Come on now, why would anyone fear their local Councillor. But we believe you..

On an end note, for the person who said that most students in WIT are not high achievers, go take a long walk off a short plank.. Some of the most respected and well known characters in Ireland today have come out of WIT, and I hope to be among that proud list in years to come.

Are people incapable of logical thought or can people just not read. The person said that most students in WIT are not high achievers. Just because some great people have come from WIT doesn't contradict that in the slightest. The percentage of wasters out there is on the increase. If you find a post where someone said that every single student out there is a waster then fine - otherwise your argument makes no sense. WIT is in some respects a great college with some great courses, students, lecturers. However, the steadily growing minority are ruining it for everyone unfortunately these are the people that the citizens of Waterford come in contact with. Understandably, WLR aren't going to go into the library and report on all the good students diligently studying or go to the homes of people who are in bed before midnight because they actually go to classes the next morning. All students shoudn't be judged by the standards of a good few dickheads but saying that some great people have come out of WIT doesn't alter the fact that a huge number of students have no place in third level education and are wasting their own time, their lecturers' time, taxpayers money and often ruining the lives of people who are unfortunate enough to live near them (and to some degree the people in their class who suffer from disruption due to their poor behaviour on the rare ocassions that they deign to turn up for class).

samsham wrote: »
    billabong24 Quote "My house mate and I were the only ones in the house at the time and as two girls on our own in a house with a large number of angry people outside we were terrified"

You just described what it must be like for parents alone with small kids as thugs outside shout and roar breaking beer bottles, even killing each other. The residents your describing were with local councilors, Come on now, why would anyone fear their local Councillor. But we believe you..
    how is she supposed to know who the councillors are? I'm living in waterford all me life and could only name 2 councillors, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Saw a post on Facebook today, a local man is calling for a group to go out to Templars on Monday night to show support for residents out there.
    Gatherings like that have the potential to go seriously wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

seanybiker wrote: »
    how is she supposed to know who the councillors are? I'm living in waterford all me life and could only name 2 councillors, I think.

The councillor was the coxuker with his hand out asking for donations and votes to get reelected next term. Probably the loudest mouth too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

Why is everyone making such a fuss about Templar's Hall when Manor street is 1000x times worse every night, I am trying to sleep now and I can hear every beat from Harvey's night club and I have to be up early. Are night clubs allowed have there music so loud is there any steps I could take?

What I am suggesting is there were two councilors there most of the nights this week. I don't expect her to know them, my point is I don't think local councilors are going to side with a mob badger baiting a wee lone student fleeing an angry croud. I am sure the wee student that was fleeing the Mob who incidentally they did not answer the door to, yet knew he did nothing is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

letsbet wrote: »
    Are people incapable of logical thought or can people just not read. The person said that most students in WIT are not high achievers. Just because some great people have come from WIT doesn't contradict that in the slightest. The percentage of wasters out there is on the increase. If you find a post where someone said that every single student out there is a waster then fine - otherwise your argument makes no sense. WIT is in some respects a great college with some great courses, students, lecturers. However, the steadily growing minority are ruining it for everyone unfortunately these are the people that the citizens of Waterford come in contact with. Understandably, WLR aren't going to go into the library and report on all the good students diligently studying or go to the homes of people who are in bed before midnight because they actually go to classes the next morning. All students shoudn't be judged by the standards of a good few dickheads but saying that some great people have come out of WIT doesn't alter the fact that a huge number of students have no place in third level education and are wasting their own time, their lecturers' time, taxpayers money and often ruining the lives of people who are unfortunate enough to live near them (and to some degree the people in their class who suffer from disruption due to their poor behaviour on the rare ocassions that they deign to turn up for class).

Its true that there are a load of wasters in WIT who, a couple of years ago would have left school early to do a trade or something. But this is not just the case in WIT. This is the case all over the country encompassing universities and institutes alike. With little unskilled jobs available compared to a few years ago, these people end up going to college. They bring down the level of of students and have no place in college

Nypd wrote: »
    Saw a post on Facebook today, a local man is calling for a group to go out to Templars on Monday night to show support for residents out there.

Ha yeah I got the invite meself. he's sound out the organiser of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Elbows22

We should all stop off at Madigans and get a bag of cans and show them we can party more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

What's your thoughts on it, it's good to show support, but I feel something like this just adds to the mob mentality that seems to be brewing out there.
    I feel it could lead to normal decent folk lowering themselves to the level of the trouble makers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 cataclysm

We're going to have a riot :D and Its the students and WIT that will end up getting hurt

Billabong that sounds terrible!
    I was driving past last night and I saw a dozen or so local residents standing at the entrance to Templars.

I wouldnt like to be anyone near Templars right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

There's an element of "idiot abroad" to the whole thing. (and I don't mean the Karl pilkington version). You can be sure that if any of these students were to have a party back in Wexford or wherever they're from, they'd have a bit more respect for their neighbours. Maybe if the residents met the students at the start, introduced themselves...then it might lead to some kind of mutual respect.

Probably not though.

• Advertisement

What's your thoughts on it, it's good to show support, but I feel something like this just adds to the mob mentality that seems to be brewing out there.
    I feel it could lead to normal decent folk lowering themselves to the level of the trouble makers.
    I be the same. It's great that people are supporting the locals and the genuine grand students but as you said, it could easily turn crazy.

Advertisement