Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Templars Hall ..Getting out of Hand..

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭samsham

Your all getting a bit excited here, this is Ireland, you know the country that is crippled with bank debt, taking pay cuts and tax hikes. Unlike Greece, we don't do Mob rule. Most likely outcome will be the Garda start doing their Job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

samsham wrote: »
    Your all getting a bit excited here, this is Ireland, you know the country that is crippled with bank debt, taking pay cuts and tax hikes. Unlike Greece, we don't do Mob rule. Most likely outcome will be the Garda start doing their Job.
    why does everything always have to come back to the recession. We all know the country is knackered , we don't need to bring the recession into people acting the eegit in a housing estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭6600

letsbet wrote: »
    No it isn't. The poster is spot on in what they say about these low achievers. Take that from someone who has attended or lectured in three third-level institutes in Ireland. What the average points are is not the issue anyway - it's the quantity of students with very low points - and that's increasing every year. Don't forget that you don't have to get the minimum points anyway to get into the course. There are loads of students in WIT that don't belong in third-level education. They should be doing a trade or something else. They have no interest in being there, and often become angry and disillusioned with nothing other to do than cause trouble. Before someone says that I'm generalising - I'm not, I'm talking about a significant minority of students - most of them are decent and don't go out causing trouble or wasting taxpayers money. That's not being snobbish btw it's an observation from the majority of the staff out there that I've talked to.

On reading back my post I realise there were a lot of generalizations but the above poster has made the point better than I could. There are a lot of people in college who are just wasting theirs and everyone elses time. Sometimes this leads to disillusionment and antisocial behaviour, that's all I'm saying. It seems to be an unspoken truth in Waterford that this is the case, due to the money these students spend locally.

By the way I work in Waterford and have actually lived in Templar's Hall with friends who were WIT students so my comments were based on my experiences. Sorry if I offended anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

WWN on the ball as usual

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/?p=1413

travellers_protest_1425343c-300x187.jpg
    FAMILIES evicted from the Dale Farm Travellers’ site in Essex are said to be outraged at both the UK and Irish governments bid to send them to the student run housing estate of Templars Hall in Waterford City, a spokesman for the group said today.

John Anthony Reilly said there was no way in the world that the 86 families would agree to move to such an ‘abominable‘ location, and that the suggestion was both ‘ludicrous‘ and ‘degrading’ to the of the travelling people of the British Isles.

“Are you Kidding me boss? Templars ****ing Hall? I’d rather grate me eyeballs and wash them with lime.”

Mr. Reilly also stated that by even suggesting such a move goes to show the ‘unsympathetic nature of the settled people living in the two nations’.

His comments came as WWN learned that the government has blocked attempts by the UN to help negotiate a deal between Travellers at the Dale Farm site and Basildon council, which is set to send the traveller clan back to Ireland.

An 11th-hour meeting, which tried to pitch the move to Templars Hall, was shortly cancelled after residents realised of the governments intentions.

A spokesman for the Basildon council said: “Well it was worth a shot. They obviously know the estate somehow and got wind of the situation there with the students.

“We thought it was a safe bet as its only a newly formed estate.”

“They’re cute hoors all the same. I’ll give them that.” he added

Police said they had received intelligence that protesters inside Dale Farm are willing to douse themselves in petrol and light it, rather than move to the troubled student based estate. Sources say the travellers are also even thinking of re-negotiating the terms with the council after news of the relocation plan.

An insider told WWN today: “Families are worried now for their own safety. We all know about that ****hole in Waterford. No one wants to go there. Some of the families have already made their way back home to their own housing estates in Limerick.

“It is terribly sad and I am disappointed. I thought we might get one of them brand new Ghost estates in Leitrim or something.

“As for Templars Hall! YOU CAN GO **** YOURSELF BOSS! Not even we are that ****ing crazy!” she added.

At the site several travellers had chained themselves to Police in a bold bid to get arrested so they wouldn’t have to leave the country. Some residents have already pleaded to ‘let them go in peace‘ and openly begged them not to relocate their kind to Waterford.

Mark Johnson, chairman for the Basildon council, said he fully supported his decision to threaten the traveller group with the move to Templars Hall.

“It was a last resort and I hope these people get the message.

“We mean business, and if that incorporates threats such as this, then so be it.”

Wwn are great for the news.

Did Ye see the video report released on Monday by them.

The Russian fella in it is the coolest person I ever seen in my life. I really wish I was him. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

This is going to get really nasty, really quick. No doubt that in the next week or two there will be violence, what are the gangs or residents hoping for by walking around threatening students?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 areyahwell

To be fair, its a minority of students that cause trouble.

I only moved down a few weeks ago, and a friend was over to have a look at the house at about 7 or 8 in the evening... The resident from across the road came out and keyd his car.

Explain that? Now i wanto go and party and drive that house mad.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

areyahwell wrote: »

I only moved down a few weeks ago, and a friend was over to have a look at the house at about 7 or 8 in the evening... The resident from across the road came out and keyd his car.

Iv heard similar accusations before but tbh if your so sure - report it to the guards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 areyahwell

Unfortunately the Guards would just laugh at me. :s

I am very sure because the resident came out of the house and gave my friend alot of verbal abuse as he drove away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

Unfortunately the Guards would just laugh at me. :s

I am very sure because the resident came out of the house and gave my friend alot of verbal abuse as he drove away.

why would they laugh at you?

was there any trouble out there last night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

And that's a fair point, it's this kind of tit for tat that will esculate things further,

It would be wise to report incidents like that, regardless of what you think the Garda would do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭samsham

Its strange how the Student complex closest to WIT has no such problems. College fields Located on WIT grounds has no such reputation, in fact never heard as much as a whisper from there. Perhaps because those who live on it know there would be consequence to bad behavior from the college authorities, who own it. Unlike in Templars hall where bad behavior has been ignored for far too long. There is no excusing anyone's bad behavior, but you cant keep people up until 4am listening to a drunken mob and not expect consequences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Did the landlords do anything to try and stop this or was it just a little "ah lads stop it" thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭south

Friday, 30 September 2011
    Templars Hall
    I’d like to thank everyone who commented on yesterday’s report on WLR from Templar’s Hall in Waterford. Of course it was nice to have so much positive feedback, and those who expressed reservations about the piece have given me food for thought in the coming days. I have to admit, the confrontations with drunken revelers were kinda fun (and what you heard was pretty much what happened, I don’t believe in stitching people up in the editing room), but the thought of anyone trying to bring up their family in this environment was profoundly upsetting. I went to Templar’s Hall on Monday night to see just how bad the anti-social behaviour engaged in by some of the students in rented houses there is. Context is everything. This is a demographic mis-match. If there were no families living in Templars Hall I suppose the behaviour would fall under youthful joie de vivre and they’d left to their own devices. Although students who go to college primarily to study (they do exist) might still have cause to complain. However the fact is that families do live in Templar’s Hall. Many moved out as it became apparent just quite how many houses had been sold to landlords intent on renting to students. Often those moving out sold to landlords thereby intensifying the problem. With the property market in Ireland now moribund, those left behind no longer have the option to sell out. Besides, their children are going to local schools, many of them work locally so why should they? The main problem I witnessed on Monday wasn’t so much individual behaviour (although some of that was pretty bad) but it was the scale of the problem. One or two parties in a residential estate are hardly anything to worry about, but loud 4/4 beats coming from every third or fourth house two or three nights a week? There’s nothing worth commenting on in a group of boisterous twenty year olds walking the street, but when these groups traipse up and down an estate or 50, 20 or even 10 yard intervals all night, filling the air with incoherent laughter and clinking bags, it’s not surprising a family might feel trapped. In that case there is no cruel intention but the effect remains upsetting. A bottle might be broken on any street, but every corner, every green space, every nook and cranny of an estate where a child might be expected to play out their childhood? Then there’s the simple fact that these are young people, not perhaps best adept at keeping their properties clean, an inadequacy that will extend to the garden, and then the street. Having scant regard for the properties they live in, this lack of respect is, I think, extended to the estate as a whole, and to the people trying to make a life there. Because the rationale of the partying renters in Templar’s Hall tends to put the blame back on the families living there – “What do they expect?” “Students are going to party, they shouldn’t have moved here”. Even if this reasoning were sound - which it isn’t - it doesn’t actually absolve them of responsibility for their behaviour. I know he never went to trial, but if he did, I don’t even think Fred West would have argued in court that his victims had it coming “I am Fred West after all”. It seems to me perfectly true that families and students are not ideal neighbours, but that’s not the fault of the residents, and it doesn’t absolve people from their responsibilities to one another. There may also be a seperate issue with young men. While girls were prepared to at least attempt to explain themselves to me, the response of the drunken young men I came across was either “no comment” (a statement which many seemed to believe carried legally binding powers) or “**** off” (which again was a request I had no legal obligation to comply with). Drinking in their own groups, the men were loud and raucous, but I couldn’t help thinking that these young men, brought up in the internet age, walked into this estate sober and without the social skills to engage with their neighbours in a way that might create some understanding and report. This is a highly contentious and subjective statement, but here goes: I think there are many young men whose social skills operate on two settings: morbid shyness and drunken exuberance. Add to that the inevitable herd mentality and primacy of the peer group, and there is a sense in which these men don’t perhaps believe that society exists. Mrs. Thatcher is often misquoted on this issue of society. She wasn’t advocating naked individualism (which isn’t to say that’s not what her policies created) but her argument was that “society” came down to the good will, or not, of individuals. There are perhaps too many individuals surrendering their innate decency to a headless, rudderless herd intent on having a “good time” at all costs.

http://markpower-thatsnewstome.blogspot.com/2011/09/templars-hall.html

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

That's criminal damage and is an offence but no doubt the attitude you'll get from the cops is that you dont have an independent witness so they'll do nothing - which is common practice for them down here as I know too well.

If the residents are resorting to this type of behaviour then they are no better than those causing the disruption even if they've been driven to it dosent make it excusable.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭clashburke

im a student and live in Templars and dont find it half as bad as people say...

yes theres noise but i can sleep all night. glass is a problem but theres no bins in there entire estate!! :confused:

the residents dont help themselves by harrasing people. Fair enough they have right and are pissed off but let the guards deal with it!!:rolleyes:

and finally i got well over the so called "avarage of 350 points" and am not a waster so stick your average and groupeing all the students together!!:mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

clashburke wrote: »
    glass is a problem but theres no bins in there entire estate!! :confused:

There's usually never any bins in any residential estate, the reasoning is that most normal people keep their rubbish in their own houses in their own bins ready to bring to the recycling depot at their leisure.

Most students I know would adhere to this norm also, whether in their own house or at a house party, rather than smashing bottles outside on the ground :confused:

yes theres noise but i can sleep all night. glass is a problem but theres no bins in there entire estate!! :confused:

the residents dont help themselves by harrasing people. Fair enough they have right and are pissed off but let the guards deal with it!!:rolleyes:

and finally i got well over the so called "avarage of 350 points" and am not a waster so stick your average and groupeing all the students together!!:mad::mad:

How do people not have a fecking wheelie bin outside their house?

Don't mind about the points. Jaysis I probably would have gotten shag all if I even bothered to do the leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭ec18

this thread is just going to go in circles with students coming on and defending themselves and residents and older people taking the opposite view backed up by the local media who don't know the meaning of the term objective reporting. Thread would be better off closed until there some real developments on it from the Garda or students union.

The students are the root of the problem and its obviously driving what are probably normal decent people over the edge and causing them to be hostile and aggressive to them. I think most students are at nothing trying to defend them selfs in here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭ec18

cocoshovel wrote: »
    The students are the root of the problem and its obviously driving what are probably normal decent people over the edge and causing them to be hostile and aggressive to them. I think most students are at nothing trying to defend them selfs in here.

see?

ec18 wrote: »
    see?

:D But its fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

do you think that if there were drunken partys and anti social behaviour week in week out going on in places like grange heights or the dunmore rd area that it would have got this far without being stamped out?
    i seriously doubt it,no guard is gonna risk walkin into a house of 40\50 drunken people,i lay the blame firmly at the feet of the garda for letting it go this far for so long.
    and as for the residents starting to fight back?.....its no suprise,you can only push people so far,sadly the only way things are going to get better is for a serious incident to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

do you think that if there were drunken partys and anti social behaviour week in week out going on in places like grange heights or the dunmore rd area that it would have got this far without being stamped out?
    i seriously doubt it,no guard is gonna risk walkin into a house of 40\50 drunken people,i lay the blame firmly at the feet of the garda for letting it go this far for so long.
    and as for the residents starting to fight back?.....its no suprise,you can only push people so far,sadly the only way things are going to get better is for a serious incident to happen.

So what do you think they can do then? Maybe you'd like them to go into the houses and arrest everyone? Or arrest everyone in their front gardens who are drinking? Or even the ones in the back garden? Tell you what, i'm sure the Gardai would love to do that, but all you have to do first is get the law changed to allow them to enter private property to make an arrest for public order offences. And while you're at it, make loud parties a criminal offence, that would give the Gardai powers to do something about it.

I hate people like this who think that the Gardai can do everything. Learn the law first! They can't, they're bound by regulations and law, and unfortunately loud parties is not a criminal offence. Front/back gardens are private and the Gardai can't stop people drinking there. The public place starts at the footpath.

If anyone is mainly to blame, it's the landlords. They have rules and regulations, and one of the main ones is to ensure that their tenants do not impede on the lives of others. Contact the PTRB and make complaints against the landlords, when they start receiving huge fines, they won't be long turfing out the students.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

So what do you think they can do then? Maybe you'd like them to go into the houses and arrest everyone? Or arrest everyone in their front gardens who are drinking? Or even the ones in the back garden? Tell you what, i'm sure the Gardai would love to do that, but all you have to do first is get the law changed to allow them to enter private property to make an arrest for public order offences. And while you're at it, make loud parties a criminal offence, that would give the Gardai powers to do something about it.

I hate people like this who think that the Gardai can do everything. Learn the law first! They can't, they're bound by regulations and law, and unfortunately loud parties is not a criminal offence. Front/back gardens are private and the Gardai can't stop people drinking there. The public place starts at the footpath.

If anyone is mainly to blame, it's the landlords. They have rules and regulations, and one of the main ones is to ensure that their tenants do not impede on the lives of others. Contact the PTRB and make complaints against the landlords, when they start receiving huge fines, they won't be long turfing out the students.

jeez,calm down,i said no garda is goin to enter a house.but what they can do is arrest or fine anyone acting the maggott in the public areas but they wont\dont for some reason.
    i lived in templars hall for 4 years and i saw it all down there,it could have been easily nipped in the bud years ago by the garda if they just showed the troublemakers whos boss thats all im sayin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

:mad:

god only help us if this is a typical example of what will be running the country in the future!

,i lay the blame firmly at the feet of the garda for letting it go this far for so long.
    Ah cmon, ya cant blame the guards for other peoples actions.
    As was said loads of times before ( I know your only new on site) but what probably would happen is, the guards go out arrest someone for drunk and disorderly or whatever. Goes to court and the person gets a slap on the knuckles if even that. Then you have the other side of the coin where the guards go to do their job and end up getting the crap kicked out of them, I dont know how often the latter happens to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 bellsx

I live in Templars Hall with 4 other students.I am not a student myself or am not from Waterford. I work here now as there are no jobs where I am from.
    I really think this is all going way too far. It has now gone to the stage that myself and my house mates are being punished for something that we are not involved with.
    The residents of Templars Hall are painting very student with the same brush when clearly it is just a handful of the same students causing the disturbance.

Our house is on the way into the estate and i am sick of the residents actually crawling by our house and staring in giving us filthy looks.!! It really makes me angry how they are going about this.

For one, would they not take this up with the Students union no?? Instead of targeting people walking by there mob...

Also, what really annoys me is the fact that the Student union member who are on duty from Monday to Thursday 10pm to 4am did not get one mention on the Mark Power interview.

Some morning i start work at 8am.. I have invested in a pair of ear plugs so i use them when they need to be used !!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 bellsx

Heathen wrote: »
    I hate students with a passion.. I hit one with my car last night for being a muppet standing in-front of my car giving me the eyeball as i was trying to drive around them all falling out onto the road, it gave me a warm fuzzy feeling inside.. and i don't regret it one bit!

:D

....what a hero.just listen to how immature you sound.

• Advertisement

bellsx wrote: »
    I live in Templars Hall with 4 other students.I am not a student myself or am not from Waterford. I work here now as there are no jobs where I am from.
    I really think this is all going way too far. It has now gone to the stage that myself and my house mates are being punished for something that we are not involved with.
    The residents of Templars Hall are painting very student with the same brush when clearly it is just a handful of the same students causing the disturbance.

Our house is on the way into the estate and i am sick of the residents actually crawling by our house and staring in giving us filthy looks.!! It really makes me angry how they are going about this.

For one, would they not take this up with the Students union no?? Instead of targeting people walking by there mob...

Also, what really annoys me is the fact that the Student union member who are on duty from Monday to Thursday 10pm to 4am did not get one mention on the Mark Power interview.

Some morning i start work at 8am.. I have invested in a pair of ear plugs so i use them when they need to be used !!!!!!
    It's locals, genuine students and people like yourself I feel bad for.
    I gotta admit, Ye do all seem to be tarred with the same brush.
    If any students act a fecker with you or if any residents act a fecker with you, whip out the mobile and record them.

If your female, I have a spare room .
    Nah seriously though.

I do.

Advertisement