Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Templars Hall ..Getting out of Hand..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭reni10

Are people video recording what is going on there on a regular basis?

The thing to do is record it everytime and make it very obvious that you are recording it all then send this to the police, the landlords, the parents, the WIT, the students union and the media.

Once this gets enough exposure and if it is as bad as people make out then there will be action taken and the video will a very powerful tool to back it all up!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I'm going to make a prediction now (and I hope I'm wrong).

There is going to be a big incident and someone is going to get seriously hurt. These neighborhood watch/patrol things while needed as they maybe can only add fuel to the fire.

If I were living there as a student and you weren't that bad just a normal few drinks on a Wednesday before you get a taxi into town can you imagine how pissed off you'd be with having people calling in telling you to keep it down or having these patrols watching you. It's goig to cause the students to "hit back" which I think is going to escalate the tension and cause the incident I mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

ziedth wrote: »
    I'm going to make a prediction now (and I hope I'm wrong).

There is going to be a big incident and someone is going to get seriously hurt. These neighborhood watch/patrol things while needed as they maybe can only add fuel to the fire.

If I were living there as a student and you weren't that bad just a normal few drinks on a Wednesday before you get a taxi into town can you imagine how pissed off you'd be with having people calling in telling you to keep it down or having these patrols watching you. It's goig to cause the students to "hit back" which I think is going to escalate the tension and cause the incident I mentioned above.

It has begun already, residents are hitting back,
    Students made to sound like complete dopes on the radio,
    Expect them to lash back this week, especially if more show up to offer support

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Someone is going to think they're a big man and go out and stand up to the students, and it will result in an incident. Chances are it won't even be caused by students living there or residents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

i,m guessing some student house will either be burnt out or a student will end up in intensive care!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dashboard_hula

reni10 wrote: »
    Are people video recording what is going on there on a regular basis?

The thing to do is record it everytime and make it very obvious that you are recording it all then send this to the police, the landlords, the parents, the WIT, the students union and the media.

Once this gets enough exposure and if it is as bad as people make out then there will be action taken and the video will a very powerful tool to back it all up!

The problem with that is that some people can get very bolshy while videoing and it can turn into a row fast. You wander up to a drunk person and shove a video camera in their face while there's a potentially hostile situation and you're going to get a smack, and frankly it's your own fault. If it's done discreetly or if CCTV were installed it would be a lot less aggressive.

Why isn't there CCTV in Templars? Ballybeg has it, half the town has it, it's as much a deterrent as anything else and the pic quality is meant to be pretty decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 wd1710

@gscully:

What do you class as "cheap"? Price varied throughout the estate!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 bellsx

seanybiker wrote: »
    It's locals, genuine students and people like yourself I feel bad for.
    I gotta admit, Ye do all seem to be tarred with the same brush.
    If any students act a fecker with you or if any residents act a fecker with you, whip out the mobile and record them.

If your female, I have a spare room .
    Nah seriously though.

I do.

Yeah like i mean my neighbours are VERY loud. On Thursday night they had a session and broke the window in our shed.. Straight away i got onto my landlord who got onto there landlord.. Instead of patrolling outside there house we done it the mature way..
    Its really start to bug me now how far its gone!!

Haha thanks for the offer but im not too bad where i am!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 bellsx

Someone is going to think they're a big man and go out and stand up to the students, and it will result in an incident. Chances are it won't even be caused by students living there or residents.

Yeah this is exactly what is going to happen.. they are all planning something for Monday night and i have a feelings its going to be very messy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Bloody hell, I'm after listening to that radio report, and I'm pretty shocked at the amount of hassle being caused. I'm a first year in WIT now, and I took a look at a place in Templars Hall, before finding somewhere over in Canada Square for cheaper, and I'm glad as fcuk that I didn't take a place there, I don't think my patience would have lasted as long as the poor residents I heard on the report.
    I think the fact that the fees aren't coming out of those students' pockets makes a difference in the amount of parties they're having.
    I pity the poor residents.

But really the only only way to deal with this, as far as I can see it, is to make the lives of the landlords just as miserable as yours. Get the numbers when the houses are being advertised, and ring ring ring, ring them bloody constantly. If you're awake because of the noise, make sure they are too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Faq

The problem with that is that some people can get very bolshy while videoing and it can turn into a row fast. You wander up to a drunk person and shove a video camera in their face while there's a potentially hostile situation and you're going to get a smack, and frankly it's your own fault. If it's done discreetly or if CCTV were installed it would be a lot less aggressive.

Why isn't there CCTV in Templars? Ballybeg has it, half the town has it, it's as much a deterrent as anything else and the pic quality is meant to be pretty decent.

Would you like CCTV where you live i don't think i would like it but then never been trouble in my area

I live in Stradbally out in the country ATM and in general you couldn't get more quiet(which is what I like) but if there was the reported level of trouble that is in TH I'd want every inch monitored 24/7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 BBstunna

No amount of complaining or action taking is going to stamp out house parties, residents need to accept there will always be parties wherever students are this is life, not just templars hall. The high levels of anti-social behaviour is not acceptable either. Although The answer is not going to war with the students.

Residents need to remember, a lot of students don't care if you protest or try damaging their rented houses, why would they? Very few get the deposits back anyway. I would not advise residents to take matters into there own hands though as I know for a fact the students are now acting out by inviting huge quantities of people over many of which don't even have any connections to WIT, purely because they are well more 'intimidating' characters who no residents or guard in their right mind will oppose.

The facts are that someone, either resident, student is going to get hurt causing a major backlash from the other group. The residents have know had their opinions heard, belittled them selectively in the media & done everything they can legally do.

I know people are still not happy but their is little more that can be done without breaking the law, so far I hear there's 5 house parties planned for tomorrow which will surely rise. Residents on here need to remember, shouting abuse and threatening students is no good, they have already taking the moral high ground interviewing drunk students. Saying things like I'll f***ing burn them out (which I have heard) is not justifying their arguments & just disgracing our entire society further.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭libra02

It def sounds like things are reaching a tipping point now and as other posters say someone is going to end up hurt.

I have the upmost sympathy with the residents but it sounds like they are getting as bad as the students now - keying cars on students who have nothing to do with the noise etc and are just visiting friends, abusing same students. That is just not on and could come back to make matters worse.
    If I was in WIT and was down visiting a friend or meeting up to do college work I would hate having to worry about the risk of my car being damaged.

The major factor in all this the LANDLORDS. The reisdents need to find out who owns the houses and when they are awake, ring the landlord continously and ensure they are awake too. If that does not help well then you have a name to give the EPA, Gardai and dare I say it the Revenue.
    Get the students making the racket kicked out. As some said the Gardai and EPA, Students Union, WIT can only do so much it is the landlords who have a good deal of the responsibility here. If the landlord wnats to deal with it them a quick call to the parents of these students to infrom them their kids are on warning about being kicked out for disruptive behaviour could also go some way to deal with matters.
    The students, well if these so called adults want to go to college etc and party all night well this is how they deal with the consequences. Ensure they cannot get accomdation in town by landlords demaning references etc and not just being interested in cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Surely the Gardai are well prepared for tomorrow night?

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

cocoshovel wrote: »

Hope so !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

According to some tit on Facebook. The guards bought a load of the houses down there and that's why the guards are not sorting it out. Personally I thought that if a guard owned a house then they would work harder to protect it. Usual anti guard shyte.
    Anyways yeah, its gonna end up bad at some stage. Local residents seem to be lowering themselves from what I heard. See what happens I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

seanybiker wrote: »
    According to some tit on Facebook. The guards bought a load of the houses down there and that's why the guards are not sorting it out. Personally I thought that if a guard owned a house then they would work harder to protect it. Usual anti guard shyte.
    Anyways yeah, its gonna end up bad at some stage. Local residents seem to be lowering themselves from what I heard. See what happens I suppose

Don't know do gardai own any of the houses down there but over all, gardaí make absolutely atrocious landlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

wd1710 wrote: »
    @gscully:

What do you class as "cheap"? Price varied throughout the estate!

Cheap as in the houses were the exact same as the ones built by Frisby in Grange Manor, but selling for 30-40k less.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 wex_lad

I think the residents are way out of order here. How dare they try and tell me what to do, my parents pay good money for me to live in Templars Hall and I can do what I want when I want. We were in our house drinking and having fun last Wednesday night and at around 12 o clock we had some lad banging on our door shoutin and roaring at us. He was way out of line, he was on our doorstep shoutin at me. The way I look at it is I'm not committing a crime by drinking on my property so I'm goin to continue doing what I want when I want, and nobody can stop me. Not WLR reporters, not residents.....nobody. We're here to stay residents, so you may aswell get used to it. If you don't like it then move. This is our estate now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Poor trolling attempt

• Registered Users Posts: 43 wex_lad

Poor trolling attempt

Lad I'm just stating the obvious

wex_lad wrote: »
    I think the residents are way out of order here. How dare they try and tell me what to do, my parents pay good money for me to live in Templars Hall
    lolololololol
    and I can do what I want when I want. We were in our house drinking and having fun last Wednesday night and at around 12 o clock we had some lad banging on our door shoutin and roaring at us. He was way out of line, he was on our doorstep shoutin at me. The way I look at it is I'm not committing a crime by drinking on my property so I'm goin to continue doing what I want when I want, and nobody can stop me.
    Ah yeah but he's also allowed shout whenever he wants
    Not WLR reporters, not residents.....nobody. We're here to stay residents, so you may aswell get used to it.
    Until May
    If you don't like it then move. This is our estate now.
    Until May

Really poor attempt there, 3.5/10

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

After listening to the Wlr podcast I was disgusted when the foul mouthed lads started abusing the person from Wlr fm.

Those animals also said they weren't from WIT so they must be on a fas course.

I feel sorry for the residents because it will be impossible to sell their property because Templers Hall has gotten such a bad name over the past week.

mikeym wrote: »
    Those animals also said they weren't from WIT so they must be on a fas course.
    Or from another county?

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

Or from another county?

WIT isn't a county.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

WIT isn't a county.

misc-jackie-chan.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭neilk32

When I lived in Templar's, I had to move house because of a violent neighbor. He had this pre-conceived notion that all students were there to cause trouble. We couldn't even listen to music on a laptop while having a few drinks without him threatening us.

We never once had a party and had the SU called a few times. The final thing that made us move was him coming to our door with a knife. The guards came but we decided to move house instead of pressing charges.

Residents trying to take things into their own hands is not a good idea. I'm sure if you had a quiet word with your neighbours instead of resorting to these kind of scare tactics, things would work out a lot better. We have never had any other problems in 3 years since we moved from that house.

I'm seriously tempted to take a spin in there at around 11 on Wednesday. See with my own eyes how bad if really is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

wex_lad wrote: »
    I think the residents are way out of order here. How dare they try and tell me what to do, my parents pay good money for me to live in Templars Hall and I can do what I want when I want. We were in our house drinking and having fun last Wednesday night and at around 12 o clock we had some lad banging on our door shoutin and roaring at us. He was way out of line, he was on our doorstep shoutin at me. The way I look at it is I'm not committing a crime by drinking on my property so I'm goin to continue doing what I want when I want, and nobody can stop me. Not WLR reporters, not residents.....nobody. We're here to stay residents, so you may aswell get used to it. If you don't like it then move. This is our estate now.

Im sure you have your car outside too, that daddys paying for.

Maybe if the residents get in touch with the landlord, and he contacts your parents, they will cut your 'pocket money'. Mayve the residents should call down your ATM parents some night to see what you really get up to.

I know your a troll, but your still obiously a student. Its time you grow the **** up a bit and stop sponging off your parents

Advertisement