Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'New style' 1.8 Mondeo with €156 road tax?

• 22-09-2011 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

As the result of a wee-but-v-welcome windfall recently my budget for a car has gone from 5.k to 8/8.5k. After test driving a (new style) Mondeo I loved the looks/comfort of it. However, it was a 1.6 model which I thought revved a bit too much.

Using beepbeep.com I can see some of the new Mondeos have tax of €302 . Am I on a hidin to nothin lookin for a (new style) Mondeo - with not mad mileage - for around 8/9k, that will have the €156 annual bill? - Any models (bigger than 1.6) spring to mind?
    (petrol or diesel - don't matter to me - I won't be doin big miles in it)

(Had previously narrowed down my options to an 05 or 06 Volvo s40/s60, however with the new budget, I was thinkin of spendin money upfront on an 08 model rather than forkin out €600 annually for the next 5 or so years. Lookin around the sites, an 08 s40/s60 in good shape is unlikely in my budget :-( )

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

I love this Irish attitude. The average Joe's are so afraid of pre 08 cars motor tax that they will pay a premium and buy an 08+ when 07 cars represent great value for money as Irish have this mental block on motor tax.

Motor tax represents a tiny fraction of the overall running costs of a car when you include depreciation.

@OP, Price the same car as an 07 vs. an 08 and you could see anything from €3-5k of a difference. Do your sums and include depreciation and tax if you are going to hold onto it for 5 years and estimate the resale value in 5 years. I guarantee the 07 will be a LOT cheaper on the finances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

mullingar wrote: »
    I love this Irish attitude. The average Joe's are so afraid of pre 08 cars motor tax that they will pay a premium and buy an 08+ when 07 cars represent great value for money as Irish have this mental block on motor tax.

Motor tax represents a tiny fraction of the overall running costs of a car when you include depreciation.

@OP, Price the same car as an 07 vs. an 08 and you could see anything from €3-5k of a difference. Do your sums and include depreciation and tax if you are going to hold onto it for 5 years and estimate the resale value in 5 years. I guarantee the 07 will be a LOT cheaper on the finances

I Cannot understand replies like this
    The OP would be getting a newer car.
    Obviously worth the extra few G's in itself.
    I would prefer to buy a newer car with lower mileage any day over an older one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

vectra wrote: »
    I Cannot understand replies like this
    The OP would be getting a newer car.
    Obviously worth the extra few G's in itself.
    I would prefer to buy a newer car with lower mileage any day over an older one.

I love newer model cars too, but given the choice of the exact same model car in the exact same condition (spec/shape/options etc etc) and the only difference is one being 07 reg and other an 08 reg but at a €4,000 premium, I would buy the 07.

What Im trying to say is €4000 will buy many years of motor tax (€600 vs €156) and the 07 will have less annual depreciation but you must take the resale into account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Aren't all pre-09 Mondeos, or at least the majority, €302 at a minimum anyway in terms of motortax?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

EPM wrote: »
    Aren't all pre-09 Mondeos, or at least the majority, €302 at a minimum anyway in terms of motortax?

1.8TDCi ecoNETIC were the first Mondeo's to come in to the €156 tax bracket.

It looks like the first one of these we got was delivered on the 8th October 2008, so would have been one of the first MY09 cars.

Don't think an ecoNETIC will come in to the OP's budget.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

I love newer model cars too, but given the choice of the exact same model car in the exact same condition (spec/shape/options etc etc) and the only difference is one being 07 reg and other an 08 reg but at a €4,000 premium, I would buy the 07.

What Im trying to say is €4000 will buy many years of motor tax (€600 vs €156) and the 07 will have less annual depreciation but you must take the resale into account.

OK, do the sums. €444, the difference between the two rates you mentioned, would cover the interest on a loan of up to €4,000 (depending on where you get it). Straight away, the higher tax rate car is worth up to €4,000 less, and that's before you factor the extra year's depreciation. (The opposite is true. If you can get the equivalent '08 car for €4,000 more, it is effectively the same price, due to the cost of money being paid for by the lower tax)

Use this to your advantage and hammer down the price of a '07 car, if its tax is higher than its '08 equivalent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

So are we to assume the newer car would be worth 4k more when trading again?
    Wouldn't that cancel it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

2008 Mondeo 1.8 TDCi - €302
    2008 Mondeo 1.8 TDCi Econetic - €156
    2008 Mondeo 2.0 TDCi - €447
    2008 Mondeo 2.2 TDCi - €447

If you are not doing alot of driving then I don't see the benefit of paying a premium for a 2008 diesel car with above average mileage just to take advantage of it having cheaper motor tax. You will never make the money back. You would be better off buying a petrol car, they are not fashionable at the moment so there are bargins to be had on them especially 08 or newer models as the Irish don't want them.

So my advice is if you are prepared to spend a bit more on motor tax and stick with a petrol car then you will get more car for your money. Something like this perhaps:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=131621185083588

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭StevePH

bazz26 wrote: »
    2008 Mondeo 1.8 TDCi - €302
    2008 Mondeo 1.8 TDCi Econetic - €156
    2008 Mondeo 2.0 TDCi - €447
    2008 Mondeo 2.2 TDCi - €447

Cheers for that Bazz. Exactly the kinda info I was after.
    The rest of what you mentioned was handy info too!

Advertisement