Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do formal complaints have any impact?

Options
  • 22-09-2011 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭

I purchased a digital camera online in early June from DID. When I received it the camera would not turn on. I rang a number on there website and was advised to return the camera to my nearest store.

I brought the camera to the Kilkenny store the first week of July and was talking to the assistant manager. He took the camera and said he would contact me in a few days to let me know what was going on.

In early August, having heard nothing, I rang the store and asked to speak to him but he was on holiday. The girl I was talking to said it was showing up on the computer but she couldn't see what had been done about it, so she would look into it and call me back.

Monday this week, after still not hearing anything back from the shop I emailed the website asking that they look into the matter for me, and just to give the store every opportunity to actually resolve the issue, I rang again and was again assured by the lovely man I was talking to that he would look into it and call me back!

This morning I got a reply to my email saying that my order has been cancelled and my card will be refunded within 5-10 days. I am absolutely furious. I have been waiting over two months for a refund and they don't even have the decency to apologise!

Is there any point in me writing a formal letter of complaint to the manager of the store or will it just be ignored like all my phone calls were? I've never written a letter of complaint before but I really do feel like they have treated me like c##p.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Send a letter to head officemgiving them 10 days to reply befoe you go to scc. Outline the entire history of the complaint.
    If no reply, take them to small claims court

Edit..
    I see they are already refunding you, what else would you like?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

Whiplashy wrote: »
    I purchased a digital camera online in early June from DID. When I received it the camera would not turn on. I rang a number on there website and was advised to return the camera to my nearest store.

I brought the camera to the Kilkenny store the first week of July and was talking to the assistant manager. He took the camera and said he would contact me in a few days to let me know what was going on.

In early August, having heard nothing, I rang the store and asked to speak to him but he was on holiday. The girl I was talking to said it was showing up on the computer but she couldn't see what had been done about it, so she would look into it and call me back.

Monday this week, after still not hearing anything back from the shop I emailed the website asking that they look into the matter for me, and just to give the store every opportunity to actually resolve the issue, I rang again and was again assured by the lovely man I was talking to that he would look into it and call me back!

This morning I got a reply to my email saying that my order has been cancelled and my card will be refunded within 5-10 days. I am absolutely furious. I have been waiting over two months for a refund and they don't even have the decency to apologise!

Is there any point in me writing a formal letter of complaint to the manager of the store or will it just be ignored like all my phone calls were? I've never written a letter of complaint before but I really do feel like they have treated me like c##p.

Formal complaints usually result in **** all being done because in order for them to be effective the business would have to accept liability/reponsibility for the product or service which is a big no no

• Registered Users Posts: 25,461 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

All anyone in DID cares about is the next sale, they are all paid on commission so dealing with customer complaints is a pain in the a**e.

You will, of course, reply that if they looked after their customers then they will get repeat business yada yada yada. The salespeople on the shop floor don't view it from that angle, all they care about is what they can sell the next guy who walks into the shop and if you have a problem with an item then the person who sold you the item can deal with you because he got the commission and if that individual is a useless tosser then you will get the 'customer service' that you described.

The same let it be said goes for Power City.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

I didn't realise that DID work on a commission basis, that certainly explains a lot. I work in the service industry myself and if it took me over two months to resolve a problem for a client I would be out of a job. I really don't think that an apology is too much to expect from them, but I don't think I'll get one, so I guess I'll just let it go.

Advertisement