Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cork abattoir with a side door?

• 22-09-2011 12:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭

got a 9mth hiefer that had a bulling accident at the beginning of august.
    She is not improving and will never be right. So want to kill her for the freezer. I really dont think she should be going up a race on concrete yards. She is ok in the field and is still suckling her mother just fine. Her hind legs behave like they are drunk. The vet has seen her already etc and no problem getting a cert for her.

Have tried ballyburden meats already.
    or does any1 know some who will come to our yard to do it and hang her here
    am in macroom area

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

49801 wrote: »
    got a 9mth hiefer that had a bulling accident at the beginning of august.
    She is not improving and will never be right. So want to kill her for the freezer. I really dont think she should be going up a race on concrete yards. She is ok in the field and is still suckling her mother just fine. Her hind legs behave like they are drunk. The vet has seen her already etc and no problem getting a cert for her.

am in macroom area

I dont know anyone who would come to you and do it there.
    Have you tried any butchers that might kill her for you?

Does Mike the butcher in Macroom kill animals for people? His website doesnt say, but it might be worth a call?
    http://www.mtwomeybutchers.ie

I found this list as well, its West Cork focussed, not sure if its of any help?
    http://foodculturewestcork.wordpress.com/2008/11/18/local-abbatoirs-whats-at-steak/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

I dont know anyone who would come to you and do it there.
    Have you tried any butchers that might kill her for you?

Does Mike the butcher in Macroom kill animals for people? His website doesnt say, but it might be worth a call?
    http://www.mtwomeybutchers.ie

I found this list as well, its West Cork focussed, not sure if its of any help?
    http://foodculturewestcork.wordpress.com/2008/11/18/local-abbatoirs-whats-at-steak/

Thanks
    I should of mentioned Twomey use ballyburden meats for their slaughtering.
    i'll trying ringing the crowd in dunmanway and kinsale and see how i go.
    a fellow to the yard would be much better in this situation though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

I can get it done for you. is killing in the yard even for yourself allowed nowadays? maybe for casualties

I can get it done for you. is killing in the yard even for yourself allowed nowadays? maybe for casualties

probably not but were there is a will there is a way.
    contacted Collins butchers in Dunmanway. Wants to talk to his vet first but sounds like its a goer for 220e slaughter, hanging and butchering.

said i should fast her from the night before. is that an old myth or does it work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

am in macroom area

I'm sorry to say that it can't be done in your yard for a variety of reasons. first is the disposal of the offal, second is the veterinary inspection, third is the recosding of the animal's disposal from your herdbook - has to be moved to another farm, a dealer, mart, licensed slaughter house or knackery and you have to record their herd number or licence number in your book. In simple terms, you cannot slaughter an animal on your own farm- even for your own consumption. It has to be done in a licensed premises which is open to Dep. Veterinary inspections.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

reilig wrote: »
    I'm sorry to say that it can't be done in your yard for a variety of reasons. first is the disposal of the offal, second is the veterinary inspection, third is the recosding of the animal's disposal from your herdbook - has to be moved to another farm, a dealer, mart, licensed slaughter house or knackery and you have to record their herd number or licence number in your book. In simple terms, you cannot slaughter an animal on your own farm- even for your own consumption. It has to be done in a licensed premises which is open to Dep. Veterinary inspections.

More of this bullsn1tclipboard.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

also, you cant kill an over 30 month old animal for home slaughter as who ever is butchering up would need an SRM licence, madness. I bet if kill and butcher the animal yourself to eat all on your own it could be done at home:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

Isn't it a good thing, that we can find a few ways around the crap handed down to us by our great leaders.
    Had a fine feed of pork steak, and home made black pudding this evening. There was no abbatoir or other beurocrat of any kind involved in the operation.
    The barrel is nicely filled into the bargain.:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

I sometimes think it's surprising we're all alive at all...........given the unhealthy habits of our grandparents and older releatives.

Anyone would think we'd managed to survive since Stone Age times.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

I bet if kill and butcher the animal yourself to eat all on your own it could be done at home:D

How would you account for the disposal of the animal from your herd book? If it dies, you have to get a cert from the knackery, if you slaughter it, it goes through the dep. computer system and is automatically.

I wonder could you just tell them that the animal ran away ??? :D:D

• Advertisement

Tora Bora wrote: »
    Isn't it a good thing, that we can find a few ways around the crap handed down to us by our great leaders.
    Had a fine feed of pork steak, and home made black pudding this evening. There was no abbatoir or other beurocrat of any kind involved in the operation.
    The barrel is nicely filled into the bargain.:D

I agree that you should be allowed to kill animals for your own use and its great that you or someone close to you has the skills to slaughter and cure a pig. However, we all know that if this was allowed, people would abuse it. We'd have no traceability. We'd end up with situations like the dioxin scare a few years ago or we'd end up with people flogging untraceable meats and they whole food system and green image that we have spent years developing would be in chaos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I agree that you should be allowed to kill animals for your own use and its great that you or someone close to you has the skills to slaughter and cure a pig. However, we all know that if this was allowed, people would abuse it. We'd have no traceability. We'd end up with situations like the dioxin scare a few years ago or we'd end up with people flogging untraceable meats and they whole food system and green image that we have spent years developing would be in chaos.

I would agree with Relig here.
    I think traceability is in all our best interests. A neighbour of mine gets a heifer done for the freezer via a midland butcher and all paperwork is completed. I must discuss the finer details with him next time I'm talking to him as it's not something I ever done personally!

Bizzum wrote: »
    I would agree with Relig here.
    I think traceability is in all our best interests. A neighbour of mine gets a heifer done for the freezer via a midland butcher and all paperwork is completed. I must discuss the finer details with him next time I'm talking to him as it's not something I ever done personally!

I get a heifer or bull killed with a butcher in Cavan every year. All the paperwork is automatically done. The meat is inspected by a vet and it is stamped. Comes packed in bags and labelled. We get a lot of burgers and mince meat made of it. There's nothing tastes as good as the meat from one of your own animals.

Wasn't having a go at anyone above. I have no issue with any man who slaughters a pig, goat or lamb in his back yard for his own use. But we all know that there are chancers out there and if there were no rules then the system would be in chaos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

I get a heifer or bull killed with a butcher in Cavan every year. All the paperwork is automatically done. The meat is inspected by a vet and it is stamped. Comes packed in bags and labelled. We get a lot of burgers and mince meat made of it. There's nothing tastes as good as the meat from one of your own animals.

Wasn't having a go at anyone above. I have no issue with any man who slaughters a pig, goat or lamb in his back yard for his own use. But we all know that there are chancers out there and if there were no rules then the system would be in chaos.

If you listened to Joe Duffy a couple of years back, where people were complaining that an ethnic group had killed a lamb with a stone in a back garden in Dublin city and were disembowelling it in preparation for a festival in view of a lot of houses & flats, you might accept that some of these things have to be controlled, or someone will find a crazy way to do them.

LC

back on topic
    lordans in kinsale dont have a side entrance either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

As far as I know all the smaller places including butcher shops are on the FSAI website somewhere. If it's in excel you'll be able to sort them by address and find someone suitable near you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

am in macroom area

http://www.fsai.ie/food_businesses/approved_food_establishments.html The local authority list has the smaller places but its in pdf so you'll just have to scroll down through it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭TBoneMan

Might me too late but try Michael Bresnan in the english market...he still operates his own abbatior and should do it for you...

TBoneMan wrote: »
    Might me too late but try Michael Bresnan in the english market...he still operates his own abbatior and should do it for you...

Cheers.
    Collins s in dunmanway did it for me. Still lots of mince in the freezer:)

Advertisement