Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convincing Farmer to lease land

Options
  • 22-09-2011 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi

I have a great idea for a business but I will need to lease land off a neighbouring farmer to base the business around. The land is currently being leased (under contract) to another farmer for making silage. How would any of ye go about approaching this farmer and the leasee to convince them to rent the land long term to you? The leasee is probably leasing the land off the farmer for 2000 euros a year, how much would you offer instead? if i tell the farmer my idea he could just do it himself, how would you make your pitch in this regard without giving too much away?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ezspeeder

Have you thought about getting a local estate agent to make an approach? At least then you wouldn't need to make all your plans known.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BnB

Danny..

Just a few questions...

How much land are you talking about here...?

Do you know if the current leasee has a contract with the owner or is it on a casual year by year basis....?

When you say that you want to lease it long term, how long are you hoping to lease it for...?

Your business idea - Is it anything that is going to do any damage to the land and/or require planning permission ?

Does it absolutely have to be this piece of land that is already leased or would a similar sized plot anywhere suit you ?

In general, I wouldn't consider going through an estate agent, especially if it's your neighbour. It's just not the way things work in the country. You would have to go and talk to the owner yourself. Depending on what you want to do, you don't necessarily have to tell him too much info. For example if you plan to do some kind of alternative farming, you can just say you are going to be farming it. But if you are doing something non-farming related, than you really are better off being up front with him. Farm owners can be quite tetchy about their land. Even if you have a 10 year lease signed and it's all legally water tight, and then they see something happening on the land that they don't like, they can make life very difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The majority of land is leased for eleven months

How long term does your lease need to be?

Advertisement