Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy ACE

Options
  • 22-09-2011 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭

My daughter bought a Samsung Galaxy ACE Android 2.2 Froyo yesterday and when she went to connect to our home wifi it connected straight away, no bother. The problem is that it has never connected since. She tells me it won't connect to the WiFi in two of her friends houses either?

So, it connected once but will not anymore, any suggestions? :confused:

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

My daughter bought a Samsung Galaxy ACE Android 2.2 Froyo yesterday and when she went to connect to our home wifi it connected straight away, no bother. The problem is that it has never connected since. She tells me it won't connect to the WiFi in two of her friends houses either?

So, it connected once but will not anymore, any suggestions? :confused:

-

I have this phone a restart should fix it?, If you download Samsung Kies and update the Firmware to Gingerbread 2.3.4 it should fix it so it won't keep happening it will also run much smother Although my one has been powering it self off alot lately and I can only restart it in "Safe Mode" or by removing the battery but I think it has something to do with Viber I removed it today and its been fine so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Thanks for the reply Kenny.

Just bare with me as I'm not that phone savvy.

Do I down kies and install to a PC? then connect the phone to PC via cable?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Thanks for the reply Kenny.

Just bare with me as I'm not that phone savvy.

Do I down kies and install to a PC? then connect the phone to PC via cable?

Exactly make sure you back up your contacts etc before updating Kies can do this for you.

I'll get hold of the phone tonight and try that ;)

Thanks for the help ;)

-

OK, here's where I'm at.

I connected the phone to Samsung Kies and it immediately notified me of a pending firmware update which I went ahead and accepted.

It made no difference to the issue.

What does work is this,

It will connect to my WiFi once and after the phone goes out of range of my router it will not connect again unless I restart the router. Restarting the router allows the phone to connect once more but the same cycle starts all over again.

My daughter went back to the store and they didn't really want to know, they did however replace the phone but it made no difference whatsoever.

So, is it an issue with the phone firmware or could it be a setting on my router it doesn't like?

I tried changing channel on the router but that too made no difference.....

Is Gingerbread 2.3.4 a totally different OS so to speak? and if I put that on? is the operation reversible?

The phone is only a few days old and I don't want to void her warranty.

• Advertisement

OK, here's where I'm at.

I connected the phone to Samsung Kies and it immediately notified me of a pending firmware update which I went ahead and accepted.

It made no difference to the issue.

What does work is this,

It will connect to my WiFi once and after the phone goes out of range of my router it will not connect again unless I restart the router. Restarting the router allows the phone to connect once more but the same cycle starts all over again.

My daughter went back to the store and they didn't really want to know, they did however replace the phone but it made no difference whatsoever.

So, is it an issue with the phone firmware or could it be a setting on my router it doesn't like?

I tried changing channel on the router but that too made no difference.....

Is Gingerbread 2.3.4 a totally different OS so to speak? and if I put that on? is the operation reversible?

The phone is only a few days old and I don't want to void her warranty.

Sounds like the problem is your router try a different router if you have one. does she have the problem on other wifi networks?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

OP, have you tried restarting the router? I commonly have issues like that with mine. Although the fact the issue exists on other wireless networks is worrying

Sounds like the problem is your router try a different router if you have one. does she have the problem on other wifi networks?
    Zonda999 wrote: »
    OP, have you tried restarting the router? I commonly have issues like that with mine. Although the fact the issue exists on other wireless networks is worrying

I am leaning towards the router as being the problem too but I have iPads, laptops, netbooks, iPhone, Samung Galaxy S2 and XBox's here that are all connecting fine every time. The only problematic device is the Samsung Galaxy ACE which kind of contradicts the router theory a bit.

That said, I'm up for trying any option at this stage.

She tells me she has no issues connecting to hot spots while out and about but hasn't actually tried it in another house with WiFi.

I was hoping not to have to factory default the router as I have settings such as port forwarding and such set just as I require them.

What I will do now is back Up the router config file then factory reset it and see what happens. If it makes no difference I can quickly restore the tweaked config file.

Will report back later.

Advertisement