Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bad hips

• 22-09-2011 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Can you give glucosamine and chondroitin to dogs ? Now I mean the tablets you would give to humans and if so what would be the correct dosage for a 30kg dog.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

I would never reccommend giving human supplements to a dog (except for the odd tea spoon of cod liver oil).

The dose in a human tablet will be very different to your dog needs. Go and see your vet and get him/her to have a look at your dogs hips.

They can then decide what medication/supplements your dog needs.

Its not worth the risk as you could do serious harm to your animal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Yes those supplements can be given to dogs but you should try and find the animal version.
    A lot of good quality dog foods designed for larger breeds actually have these as ingredients.
    Most good pet shops or horse tack/feed shops feed these supplements for dogs and horses so maybe try and find a supplier like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I would say yes because one of the supplements i give my dog comes in a human version and a pet version - they state on the site that they're the exactly the same except for the labels ie the pet one has a dog on it. If you take a look here it gives the dosage for 1/4 fl oz - my dog is 28-29kgs and I give him 1/8 fl oz which is the dosage for a 30kg dog : http://www.flexicose.com/Flexicose_Pets.html

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭teacherspet

Thank you for your replies. Most helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 wildthorneberry

Go to a vet first. Regardless as to whether you can give them or not - though the general rule is no human food especially processed should be given to animals.
    Anyway my point is that you have decided this is what your dog needs when infact it may not be, you are not a vet and it doesn't sound like anyone else on this thread is either, so it very well may be something else. Your dog will more than likely just be physically examined but if it doesn't add up will need an xray.
    If you cannot afford a vet, the blue cross and DSPCA have mobile vans for ppl who are unemployed etc
    I hope that helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Yes you can give your dog glucosamine and chondroitin supplements produced for human consumption. This link will help you with the dosage. It's cheaper to buy the human-grade supplements, in my experience. I get mine from www.iherb.com

http://www.dogaware.com/health/arthritissupps.html#glucosamine

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Go to a vet first. Regardless as to whether you can give them or not - though the general rule is no human food especially processed should be given to animals.
    Are you joking? You do realise that the vast majority of the food you feed your pet dog or cat is far more processed and of far lower quality than human food. Yet you will get any number of vets recommending same. My last dog started to get a bit stiff in the joints at age 10. I had two vets recommend all sorts of things, one was OK the other was a bloody muppet, who actually suggested that he was failing and putting him down soon would be the kindest thing. I researched the various over the counter palliatives and supplements for humans applied to dogs and upped his intake of raw lamb/chicken and cow and he got better, much better. I buried him last month after he passed away quietly in my arms when he was close to 17 years of age. And he was a big dog.

On the food front, both dry and wet the amount of crap we're feeding our canine and feline companions is unreal. Crap they didn't evolve to digest. Corn? Eh WTF? We can just about digest it. "Corn fed" as a healthy option is advertising, not science. It's cheap crap, indeed for pets the byproduct of cheap crap and neither dog nor cat is built to digest it. Did I mention it's cheap? "Meat"? Offcuts and scrapings from the slaughterhouse floor at best. Additives? Why are colourings and flavourings added to pet food? Some in doses and types unfit for human consumption. Bone meal? Better on ones prize roses than in our pets foodbowl. Wheat flour? Ever see a wild canine or feline chow down on wheat, never mnd again the scrapings of the factory floor unfit for human consumption. Preservatives? read the back of some of the popular dry foods out there. If you see BHT or BHA then realise that these are banned or severely curtailed for human consumption because of carcinogenic properties. Yet many out there vets included think this stuff is game ball. Of course doggie supplement chews with Pedigree or Tesco or whatever labels on them are fine... Do not get me started on the added carbs...

I'm not some swivel eyed evangelist for the BARF type raw diet, but lets get real here for a second. IMHO A weight based dose of supplements like glucosamine and chondroitin should be the least of our concerns as carers for our furry mates.

PS if you think processed food for pets is a bit dodgy, I'd suggest keeping that in mind the next time you're tucking into some branded ready meal.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement