Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lowering of drink drive limit - Nanny state strikes again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Dempsey wrote: »

My biggest gripe is people being done the morning after. Someone who leaves the pub and hops straight into their car will get the same as someone who got a taxi out and home, a good nights sleep and bagged driving to work.
    :

AGAIN. Whats the difference? If theres a set of twins and they both head out for a night seperatley. All things being equal other than the first lad has 3 pints and jumps in the car, heads home early and gets stopped by the Gards, breathalised and fails. 2nd guy has a skinfull and gets a taxi home, gets up early and drives to work, gets stopped by the gards and breathalised. Hase the very same level of alcohol as his brother the night before. IIs he not as impaired? What makes his crime any less?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Of course everyone forgets that there's a perfectly reasonable way of going to the pub, having four pints and getting home;

Walk or cycle. A 5km walk should take about an hour. A 5km cycle should take 20 minutes, at most. Cycling after 4 pints carries a drastically lower risk than driving, primarily because you're not in control of a 1.5 tonne steel box capable of travelling at 150km/h.

If you're planning more than 4 pints, then either way take a taxi. If your pub is more than 5km away, then find a new pub or go less often.

Mickerling doesn't have a right to go the pub whenever he wants and under his terms. If he wants to have ten pints in the pub 7 miles away, then he has to figure out how to get there and back legally and safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭jackal

Been driving for about 17 years and have never, ever been breathalysed or even seen a checkpoint for anything other than tax/nct.

However, the culture has changed irrevocably in relation to drink driving in this country, for the better, but I don't want to see it go too far - as if they are going for zero, then they had better introduce analayzers for sleepyness, being an asshole driver, talking on the mobile, turning around to talk to the kids, being an idiot on motorways and all the other things that cause similar amounts of accidents as tiny amounts of alcohol.

I just can't stick the thought of getting done the next morning, which is what is going to happen to some unfortunate learners or professionals with the new .20mg limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

seamus wrote: »
    Of course everyone forgets that there's a perfectly reasonable way of going to the pub, having four pints and getting home;

Walk or cycle. A 5km walk should take about an hour. A 5km cycle should take 20 minutes, at most. Cycling after 4 pints carries a drastically lower risk than driving, primarily because you're not in control of a 1.5 tonne steel box capable of travelling at 150km/h.

If you're planning more than 4 pints, then either way take a taxi. If your pub is more than 5km away, then find a new pub or go less often.

Mickerling doesn't have a right to go the pub whenever he wants and under his terms. If he wants to have ten pints in the pub 7 miles away, then he has to figure out how to get there and back legally and safely.

I presume this is the locked calculation!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Degag wrote: »
    People don't kill other people after a pint or two. They kill people driving after 10 pints or so. I drive home after a few pints and have no problem saying so. I've never killed anyone or came close to it. Have always being comfortable with my driving ability and of being within the limit most of the time.

That'll be the confidence borne of alcohol.

Alcohol impairs your judgment - not just of driving but of your judgment. By which I mean, if you have taken alcohol you are in no condition to judge your own ability to drive safely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,399 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    Wondering what people's positions are on driving while fatigued?

Suppose we'll all have to have 8 hours sleep before getting behind the wheel now...

And ban babies.

I'd love to call the boss in the morning "Sorry boss, I can't go to work today, the babby cried all night so I didn't get much sleep and I'd be a risk to the public while driving on the road in the morning"

There is evidence that listening to talk radio (or other distractions) could increase the risk of an accident by as much as consumption of alcohol. That is why I find it hilarious listening to politicians and pundits going on drive time radio and telling us that even having one pint is too much to risk driving.

Akrasia wrote: »
    And ban babies.

I'd love to call the boss in the morning "Sorry boss, I can't go to work today, the babby cried all night so I didn't get much sleep and I'd be a risk to the public while driving on the road in the morning"

There is evidence that listening to talk radio (or other distractions) could increase the risk of an accident by as much as consumption of alcohol. That is why I find it hilarious listening to politicians and pundits going on drive time radio and telling us that even having one pint is too much to risk driving.

Would you let a person who will listen to the radio drive your kid around?

Would you let a person who has taken a drink or two drive your kid around?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

HAHAHA!!! Show me where I slandered you?

No **** it.

Reported.

Slander = verbal

Libel = written.

Come on tha ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

I reckon you should be allowed 1 pint and that's it. Can't see that doing any harm.

Slander = verbal

Libel = written.

Come on tha ****.

I don't have the same experience of 'slandering' someone as you may have!!!

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

AGAIN. Whats the difference? If theres a set of twins and they both head out for a night seperatley. All things beign equal other than the first lad has 3 pints and jumps in the car, heads home ealry and gets stopped by the Gards, breathalised and fails. 2nd guy has a skinfull and gets a taxi home, gets up ealry and drives to work, gets stopped by the gards and breathalised. Hase the very same level of alcohol as his brother the night before. IIs he not as impaired? What makes his crime any less?

One intentionally broke the law, the other didnt. I dont think somone who intentionally break the law should be punished the same as someone who didn't.

I think fatigue is a much bigger issue for a person than a blood alcohol level between 50-80mg/L

One intentionally broke the law, the other didnt. I dont think somone who intentionally break the law should be punished the same as someone who didn't

Ignorance is not a defence. People know full well at this stage whats involved.

Plus, whos to say the guy thats stopped in the mornign hasnt been drinking slowly all night and headed straight to work? How do you test for that?

I'm sure theres a few alcoholics aroudn that probably have a drink in the morning too.

I think fatigue is a much bigger issue for a person than a blood alcohol level between 50-80mg/L

Theres no a huge amount you can do about that other than try to educate people. I've seen and heard plenty o fads about drivign tired. It's not somthign you can breathalise for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Absolutely blatant money making scheme.

SantryRed wrote: »
    Absolutely blatant money making scheme.

Howzat?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Ignorance is not a defence. People know full well at this stage whats involved.

Plus, whos to say the guy thats stopped in the mornign hasnt been drinking slowly all night and headed straight to work? How do you test for that?

I'm sure theres a few alcoholics aroudn that probably have a drink in the morning too.

I didnt say that they were ignorant of the law, did I?

A court of law would be the way to prove what you did in the hours leading up to the failed test.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I'm quite annoyed at the lowering of the drink drive level. Due to where I live, I have to drive pretty much every day, therefore I rarely drink. I go out to the pub with my friends at least once a week and I like to have a single pint while I'm there. One pint will does not effect my driving ability at all. I now probably won't be able to have that one pint.

Will that small change in the alcohol levels effect the amount of people killed on Irish roads? I doubt it. If people are happy to break the limit that's in place now then why would this proposed change in the alcohol levels deter them?

Drink driving is a crime of strict liability. Ignorance is simply not a defence. The mental guilt of the person at the time does not need to be established.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,895 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Drink driving is a crime of strict liability. Ignorance is simply not a defence. The mental guilt of the person at the time does not need to be established.

Neither is ignorance of alcohol content in Daily Environment, yet you still insist on a 0.0 Level.

Your ignorance is blatant for all to see.

And you the fact that you cant see this as a money making and RSA quango scheme is hilarious. Your a ripe punter for the taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,970 ✭✭✭Degag

That'll be the confidence borne of alcohol.

Alcohol impairs your judgment - not just of driving but of your judgment. By which I mean, if you have taken alcohol you are in no condition to judge your own ability to drive safely.
    A bit of sensibility please. We are talking about 2 pints here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Drinking limit should be zero , just my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,895 ✭✭✭✭listermint

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Drinking limit should be zero , just my opinion.

You are another one doesnt understand 0.0 is not enforceable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Keith186

Can't believe the amount of people looking for zero limits.

Won't make any noticeable difference IMO like the new lower limit either.

Its drunk drivers causing serious accidents and fatalities not people driving after a pint or two.

Bunch of fûcking lightweights! You know who you are!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Sticjones wrote: »
    I would be very surprised if anyone on the planet (regardless of weight/height/age/tolerance/etc) would have a blood alcohol concentration of over 0.8mg after a single drink.

there's one on the wall in a local boozer and it fails you before you even have a scoop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

geetar wrote: »
    who the hell is this mickling lad?

why in this country when we bring in new laws to we bring up stories of how it will affect three 80 year olds in the country.

same thing happened with the smoking ban.

youre suggesting we abondon making new laws to save lives on our roads, to facillitate one 80 year old drink driving alcoholic.

Mickeling and thousands like him around the country whose only avenue of social life is a few pints down the local.
    They have been driving since before a drink driving limit and got on all right, now they are just to be forgotton about as the like the cold shoulder of winter wraps itself around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Mickeling and thousands like him around the country whose only avenue of social life is a few pints down the local.
    They have been driving since before a drink driving limit and got on all right, now they are just to be forgotton about as the like the cold shoulder of winter wraps itself around them.
    I suppose we should forgive his racism because he was a racist before it was bad :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,048 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Whatever limit they place on it, it's not going to stop those with a drink problem getting behind the wheel. Their cravings far outweigh the effect of any law.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Whatever limit they place on it, it's not going to stop those with a drink problem getting behind the wheel. Their cravings far outweigh the effect of any law.

I know of a guy on a ten year ban driving locked, sure. But at least he was jailed. Then hospitalised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Zero alcohol limit is stupid and punishes the moderate among us and won't deter the habitual drunk driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,048 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I know of a guy on a ten year ban driving locked, sure. But at least he was jailed. Then hospitalised.

These are the people who, if they do manage to get home in one piece, fall out of their cars and crawl to the front door, through pools of their own piss and vomit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Degag wrote: »
    A bit of sensibility please. We are talking about 2 pints here.
    yupyup7up wrote: »
    I reckon you should be allowed 1 pint and that's it. Can't see that doing any harm.

The problem is that different people react differently to alcohol.
    Your average Irish male is used to drinking and wouldn't be greatly affected by one pint. But that doesn't mean one pint still doesn't affect you in subtle ways, and as mentioned earlier, even a fairly small amount of alcohol impairs your ability to judge your own competence.

And I know quite a few people who would be tipsy after one pint and more noticeably drunk after two.

One can be one too many.

Just because you're fairly sure that's not the case for you, doesn't make it a universal truth.

Advertisement