Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting rid of books

Options
  • 22-09-2011 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭

I am moving house and need to get rid of much of my book collection. Mostly paperbacks of popular fiction. Is it worth putting them on e-bay? Considering creating a listing for each one and then posting them out it might be too much work for too little money.
    What sort of money would second hand bookshops pay? My books are all in very good condition, mostly only read once and no dog-ears.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 IVIada

If you decide to give any of them away, should check this website out if you haven't already heard of it. http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/index.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

JaneHudson wrote: »
    I am moving house and need to get rid of much of my book collection. Mostly paperbacks of popular fiction. Is it worth putting them on e-bay? Considering creating a listing for each one and then posting them out it might be too much work for too little money.
    What sort of money would second hand bookshops pay? My books are all in very good condition, mostly only read once and no dog-ears.

Second-hand bookstores will pay next-to-nothing for such titles. Third-party sellers on Amazon also sell those kind of books very cheaply, sometimes for as little as one penny.

Still, you could try Chapters in Dublin, and also see if Oxfam would be interested (as donations, they wouldn't pay for them). But I'd say sending them to be recycled would probably be your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

JaneHudson wrote: »

Wouldn't be worth selling them on Ebay, far too much hassle for basically no money. A secondhand book shop will probably give you about 1 euro per book.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I put them on adverts a couple of times for around eur2/3 each, and was lucky to get bulk buyers both times. But I wouldn't be arsed doing it again, I'd rather just give them to charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

depending on what you have try the local schools and nursing homes / care facilitys

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭JaneHudson

Thanks all, I guess online selling is a waste of time in that case. I will give them to a charity so they can be recycled for a good cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Just to be clear, when I said recycled, I didn't mean via charity, I meant via the bin. Imagine if everyone was unloading their unwanted books onto charities - they'd be swamped. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be interested in taking much off you.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 FatimaKid

My local charity shop takes my books. OP's description of her books is similar to how I would describe mine.

Donors should be prepared for a refusal as shops sometimes have enough stock. Also they won't take books they feel they cannot sell on.

I'd ask before binning them. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

And of course, there is always Book Crossing:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055897240&page=3

www.bookcrossing.com

We are holding the convention in Dublin next year & would be only too willing to take your unwanted books.

http://www.bcdublin2012.com/

The whole idea is to pass on the books free of charge to other people, and track their progress all over the world.

Sometimes I think Book Crossing is better than just giving the books to charity shops. It means that people get the books for free.

Now, don't get me wrong, Book Crossers buy many books from charity shops also, it spreads around the good will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭JaneHudson

Ah yes I actually have an old book-crossing account - are there drop sites in Cork I wonder? Must look up their website and see.

I realised the other day that I also have a lot of travel guides. I don't think anyone would want them so I might just recycle those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Macushlablue

No money at all in selling books online, I'm afraid. I moved house this year and managed to sell some of mine at a car boot sale, but it wasn't as profitable as I'd hoped! Best thing to do is donate to charity or maybe a school library.

Advertisement