Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guns N' Roses Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,463 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Could be wrong but was it not around this time last year that the reunion rumours started becoming really strong ??

• Registered Users Posts: 40,016 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Could be wrong but was it not around this time last year that the reunion rumours started becoming really strong ??

Yeah Christmas Day they posted a videoand after that it too off.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,463 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Itssoeasy wrote: »

people on the inside prob knew a lot earlier

The guessing really started after Slash done that interview in the summer of 2015 where he said himself and Axl are talking again

I think the Coachella headline slot got announced at the start of January this year and the warm up shows/US tour announcement followed a short time after

The reunion annoucement was rather tame tbh and could of potentially been made a bigger thing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Probably the best marketing stroke ever was to do a ,as low key publicity drive as possible let the hype market itself and it worked they grossed about $260 million this year just behind Bouncy Bouncy and Bruce springteen.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

It was a year yesterday when it started gathering pace
    people on the inside prob knew a lot earlier

The guessing really started after Slash done that interview in the summer of 2015 where he said himself and Axl are talking again

I think the Coachella headline slot got announced at the start of January this year and the warm up shows/US tour announcement followed a short time after

The reunion annoucement was rather tame tbh and could of potentially been made a bigger thing

If you believe it, Myles Kennedy, Todd Kerns, Frank Sidoris & Brent Fitz, the rest of Slash's band were told of rumblings about it 6 months before hand, so that would've been right after Slash mentioning in that interview that he & Axl were on talking again, their Coachella appearance was confirmed on January 4th 2016, which gave away that Slash & Duff would be rejoining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭gooner99

Hi. Got my 3 gold circle tickets in the post. I am selling them as I changed to 2 VIP tickets instead. So selling these gold circle tickets off. Have you guys sold tickets before, where is the best place to sell them. Was thinking facebook or donedeal?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

gooner99 wrote: »
    Hi. Got my 3 gold circle tickets in the post. I am selling them as I changed to 2 VIP tickets instead. So selling these gold circle tickets off. Have you guys sold tickets before, where is the best place to sell them. Was thinking facebook or donedeal?
    I always use Toutless whenever I need to sell a ticket.

It's obvious that the issues are still raw for axl here. How crazy is it that we've gotten from that moment to where they are the best of friends again.

• Advertisement

Money can make the worst of enemies get along, though going by this past summer, that clearly isn't the situation between Slash & Axl now.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Money can make the worst of enemies get along, though going by this past summer, that clearly isn't the situation between Slash & Axl now.

Which is great though. Axl and slash seem to have rekindled their friendship. I mean whatever was trashed out in the meeting in axls house was the same as a thunder storm after a humid few days.

Which is great though. Axl and slash seem to have rekindled their friendship. I mean whatever was trashed out in the meeting in axls house was the same as a thunder storm after a humid few days.

Indeed, to have been a fly on the wall for those conversations, probably didn't get it all worked out in a day...

Now if only Slash & Duff and the rest of the band could maybe nudge Axl towards a recording studio and get around to new music.

Indeed, to have been a fly on the wall for those conversations, probably didn't get it all worked out in a day...

Now if only Slash & Duff and the rest of the band could maybe nudge Axl towards a recording studio and get around to new music.

No twenty years of ****e didn't but enough to move forward with a renunion did though.

Well one step at a time. I mean Chinese democracy was meant to be finished in 2001 or there abouts and it took seven more years to get a physical copy of it.

I think duff has to take a huge amount of credit here. I'm happy Steven has had a chance to play with the other three as it really was the one thing keeping him going and he can obviously still play going on recent videos.

I think Mellisa could be a god send for axl. Watching some of the video of the end of the shows and her and axl seem to get on with her. And she is a very talented young women.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Just heard Sco'm on the wireless there, hard to believe its nearly 30years since I first heard that song and it still sounds as fresh and relevant today as to when I heard it first as a gobsmacked 11year old realising for the first time this is how rock n roll music should sound like.
    For me Appetite for destruction is the definitive rock album and many years later after reading in depth of the going ons during its recording . It still amazes me it was ever made at all.
    I found the illusion albums a bit of a let down great songs and all but just lacked the punch of Appetite whether it was a lack of Steve Adler or the that lightening in a bottle spark was a one off deal with the devil
    Which sort of brings me to my question I've given Chinese Democracy every chance I can and I still dont get it. I'm not saying its crap Its just not GNR to me
    The live Duff &Slash versions of Better and Chin Dem make more sense to me somehow.
    I was wondering has anyone here becone a fan of gnr from the other side I mean got introduced to Gnr through Chinese Democracy
    And what did they make of Appetite when they got to hear it as I find the two albums a world apart from each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Just heard Sco'm on the wireless there, hard to believe its nearly 30years since I first heard that song and it still sounds as fresh and relevant today as to when I heard it first as a gobsmacked 11year old realising for the first time this is how rock n roll music should sound like.
    For me Appetite for destruction is the definitive rock album and many years later after reading in depth of the going ons during its recording . It still amazes me it was ever made at all.
    I found the illusion albums a bit of a let down great songs and all but just lacked the punch of Appetite whether it was a lack of Steve Adler or the that lightening in a bottle spark was a one off deal with the devil
    Which sort of brings me to my question I've given Chinese Democracy every chance I can and I still dont get it. I'm not saying its crap Its just not GNR to me
    The live Duff &Slash versions of Better and Chin Dem make more sense to me somehow.
    I was wondering has anyone here becone a fan of gnr from the other side I mean got introduced to Gnr through Chinese Democracy
    And what did they make of Appetite when they got to hear it as I find the two albums a world apart from each other.

think I was 14 when I first saw Welcome to the Jungle on Monsters of Rock on MTV and was blown away. Bought the cassette the next day and introduced it to all my friends who all grew into listening to GnR. Then came Lies, totally different to Appetite but with a twist of acoustic and stripped back.

Few yrs on came UYI 1 & 2. It just felt like toomany yrs passed by waiting for it. Some fantastic songs on them, but Axl had far too much of an influence on the whole production turning them into what felt like a show band with orchestras. Worked for one or 2 songs but not everyone.

Thankfully Izzy went on to make a solo album and Velvet Revolver was born out of the break up

Still will be regarded as one of the greatest rock bands of all time but ruined eventually by a power hungry egomaniac

as much as I loved the 2 UYI concerts I went to back in 91 & 92, there was always this bad aura around Axl. Will he show up, will he blow his top. after the St Louis riots in 91 we didn't even know if the concert in Wembley was even going to happen.

Some 90s GNR interviews. The video above focuses on the release of UYI 1 and 2. Also Dave Navarro was being tipped to replace izzy. I wonder how gilby Clarke slipped in in front of Dave ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

First seen GnR at Donington in '88, The original line up no less

Was a fcuked up day in every sense

Maiden were announced as headliners for the first time back in Feb '88, Great support bill too :-

Kiss
    Dave Lee Roth
    Megadeth
    Guns
    Helloween

Now when GnR were booked back in the feb they were a great second on the bill band, by August though they'd exploded and could almost have headlined.

The previous year the promotor, Maurice Jones, said in an interview they limited capacity to 72,500, they could take a lot more but were limited by their own common sense.

Come Aug '88 they let 110,000 people in, i can still remember nearly everything of that day, from arriving the afternoon before, getting wrecked and kipping in an old box office, the rain, the mud etc

2 fans also died during GnR's set, i was about 200 yards from the front and it was terrifying, you couldn't move anywhere, you went with the flow of the crowd and if you fell you were fcucked as nobody could help.

I had a backstage pass that year and met quite a few of the bands, most signed my program but i lost the damn thing in a house move

Here's a pic of young me backstage wit 'Arry

1936906_136314837089_7997555_n_zpsycg7wfh4.jpg

And this is a pic i took at 07:30, they opened the gates that early due to queues, note the slope towards the stage, how people had no chance of movement

1936906_136312827089_3225249_n_zpswgwgiquf.jpg

After the gig i managed somehow to get to Derby and jumped on a train to Manchester, idea was to change at Crewe and get the ferry train back to North Wales, i fell asleep and ended up sleeping in Manchester station the night, along with 50 or so other like minded bods.

Rang the parents at around 9am the next day and they were in bits, was all over the news about the deaths, of course i had no clue as this was before interwebs

Obviously as a GNR fan I'm happy duff got clean and is still around today but when you look at the video above you do wonder how he didn't die. He's a mess in some of the later videos in 1992 and 1993.

scudzilla wrote: »
    First seen GnR at Donington in '88, The original line up no less

Was a fcuked up day in every sense

Maiden were announced as headliners for the first time back in Feb '88, Great support bill too :-

Kiss
    Dave Lee Roth
    Megadeth
    Guns
    Helloween

Now when GnR were booked back in the feb they were a great second on the bill band, by August though they'd exploded and could almost have headlined.

The previous year the promotor, Maurice Jones, said in an interview they limited capacity to 72,500, they could take a lot more but were limited by their own common sense.

Come Aug '88 they let 110,000 people in, i can still remember nearly everything of that day, from arriving the afternoon before, getting wrecked and kipping in an old box office, the rain, the mud etc

2 fans also died during GnR's set, i was about 200 yards from the front and it was terrifying, you couldn't move anywhere, you went with the flow of the crowd and if you fell you were fcucked as nobody could help.

I had a backstage pass that year and met quite a few of the bands, most signed my program but i lost the damn thing in a house move

Here's a pic of young me backstage wit 'Arry

1936906_136314837089_7997555_n_zpsycg7wfh4.jpg

And this is a pic i took at 07:30, they opened the gates that early due to queues, note the slope towards the stage, how people had no chance of movement

1936906_136312827089_3225249_n_zpswgwgiquf.jpg

After the gig i managed somehow to get to Derby and jumped on a train to Manchester, idea was to change at Crewe and get the ferry train back to North Wales, i fell asleep and ended up sleeping in Manchester station the night, along with 50 or so other like minded bods.

Rang the parents at around 9am the next day and they were in bits, was all over the news about the deaths, of course i had no clue as this was before interwebs
    Cheers I've read about and seen the footage of the donnighton gig and it looked mental. I've read a report about the deaths but never seen a picture of the slope that was described. I know hindsight is 20/20 but with that many people there and it having been raining and the slope. Was it an accident waiting to happen ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Cheers I've read about and seen the footage of the donnighton gig and it looked mental. I've read a report about the deaths but never seen a picture of the slope that was described. I know hindsight is 20/20 but with that many people there and it having been raining and the slope. Was it an accident waiting to happen ?

yeah, it was, look at the slope, add rain (which turns to mud) and 100k+ people to that, the security pit was maybe 4ft deep, and that was also full of photographers, so yeah, was an accident waiting to happen alright

Some 90s GNR interviews. The video above focuses on the release of UYI 1 and 2. Also Dave Navarro was being tipped to replace izzy. I wonder how gilby Clarke slipped in in front of Dave ?

Probably knowing the band in their early days and being a friend of Izzy's helped. Plus Navarro turning down 4 invites helped :pac:

Probably knowing the band in their early days and being a friend of Izzy's helped. Plus Navarro turning down 4 invites helped :pac:
    I didnt know Gilby was a friend of izzy. I knew the band knew of him. Wasn't Dave Navarro involved in the recording in the late nineties ?

I didnt know Gilby was a friend of izzy. I knew the band knew of him. Wasn't Dave Navarro involved in the recording in the late nineties ?

Well now you know. he played on Oh My God, which was a soundtrack only release to Arnold Schwarenneger's 1999 film End Of Days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rainman16

New Tour starting Jan 21st in Japan, A mate of mine in Tokyo sent me this image. Sorry image in link

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C2Q4bnrVIAAy2Bd.jpg:large

Guns N Roses touring Japan this week with Babymetal, The first show tonight in Osaka. Found this video from 2015 of Slash saying Babymetal were the most exciting band he'd seen recently and he would be open to the idea of doing a show together.

The sooner the Japanese shows are done the better, I'm sick of seeing people blab on about Babymetal, their alright, nothing bloody special about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭montec

@Scudzilla, thanks for sharing that. Great photo's too. I always remember that bill. Donington was like the cup final of the metal world in those days!!!
    Really great line-up, and it's true, Gn'R really did explode at this time. I was just 14 at the time so never got to go.
    If you don't mind me asking, how did you get backstage?

• Advertisement

The sooner the Japanese shows are done the better, I'm sick of seeing people blab on about Babymetal, their alright, nothing bloody special about them.

It makes perfect sense when you think about it. They are touring Japan, So who better to bring along on tour, then the biggest young metal band in the county. Babymetal bring a new generation of metal fans to GNR, and in return they gain exposure to the GNR fanbase in their own country who they haven't reached yet. Its a win/win situation.

Advertisement