Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guns N' Roses Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rainman16

One thing that won't be lacking on the Japan leg of this tour will guitar skills. You'll struggle to find two bands with a better line up of musicians than this

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Rainman16 wrote: »
    It makes perfect sense when you think about it. They are touring Japan, So who better to bring along on tour, then the biggest young metal band in the county. Babymetal bring a new generation of metal fans to GNR, and in return they gain exposure to the GNR fanbase in their own country who they haven't reached yet. Its a win/win situation.

Ya Guns N Roses one of the biggest bands in the world whose Tokyo shows even were the bands only official live video release for over 20 years are hoping the support band gain them exposure...okay

Also a new generation of metal fans? One is a hard rock band the closest they get to metal is Chinese Democracy and the other are a J-pop act.

Ya Guns N Roses one of the biggest bands in the world whose Tokyo shows even were the bands only official live video release for over 20 years are hoping the support band gain them exposure...okay

Also a new generation of metal fans? One is a hard rock band the closest they get to metal is Chinese Democracy and the other are a J-pop act.

Try reading again. I said BM are gaining exposure to the GNR fan base.

And yes a popular local support band will always bring people to out a gig, they wouldn't otherwise attend.

Also Babymetal are not a J-pop act :rolleyes: There style of music is a new sub-genre of Metal known as Kawaii Metal (かわいい金属)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Try reading again. I said BM are gaining exposure to the GNR fan base.

And yes a popular local support band will always bring people to out a gig, they wouldn't otherwise attend.

Also Babymetal are not a J-pop act :rolleyes: There style of music is a new sub-genre of Metal known as Kawaii Metal (かわいい金属)

And how many GN'R fans, Japanese or other nationalities are honestly gonna give a crap about Babymetal?

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    And how many GN'R fans, Japanese or other nationalities are honestly gonna give a crap about Babymetal?

Well GNR obviously support Babymetal, I doubt they would invite a band on tour with them if they "didn't give a crap about them". Its a huge honor for Babymetal to tour with such an iconic band like GNR, As Wrongway1985 said, Japan is an important location for GNR. I'm sure the vast majority of the GNR fans who attend these shows will enjoy the opening act. And a good proportion of them will attend a Babymetal show in the future.

Support acts usual get little to no immediate financial gain from supporting.
    The rewards come from the exposure they get to a large and different fans base, Its fantastic promotion for then and the association with GNR, the endorsement from them also holds value.

• Advertisement

Well GNR obviously support Babymetal, I doubt they would invite a band on tour with them if they "didn't give a crap about them". Its a huge honor for Babymetal to tour with such an iconic band like GNR, As Wrongway1985 said, Japan is an important location for GNR. I'm sure the vast majority of the GNR fans who attend these shows will enjoy the opening act. And a good proportion of them will attend a Babymetal show in the future.

Support acts usual get little to no immediate financial gain from supporting.
    The rewards come from the exposure they get to a large and different fans base, Its fantastic promotion for then and the association with GNR, the endorsement from them also holds value.

So GN'R "support" Babymetal just because their opening 4 shows for the band in Japan, right whatever you believe in I guess :rolleyes:

What endorsement? just because they're opening the previously mentioned shows isn't an endorsement from the band in any way, shape or form. Bar the interview clip of Slash from 2015, how many within Guns actually know of or care. Their just the opening act, the crowd warm up.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,463 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

So GN'R "support" Babymetal just because their opening 4 shows for the band in Japan, right whatever you believe in I guess :rolleyes:

What endorsement? just because they're opening the previously mentioned shows isn't an endorsement from the band in any way, shape or form. Bar the interview clip of Slash from 2015, how many within Guns actually know of or care. Their just the opening act, the crowd warm up.

More than likely the members of Guns will be doing there pre gig routines while the support is on and won't be paying much attention to what's going on outside on the stage

Wow! Your hatred for Babymetal is real:cool:. I can see how this must be a painful time for you, seeing one of your favorite bands, embracing a band you hate. Aww! that video of Slash endorsing them, must have really hurt your little feelings.:D To use your own words you "cant wait for these shows to be over"

You don't have to like them mate. But you sound pathetic denying the obvious that GNR inviting them on their tour is a clear endorsement of Babymetal. Unfortunately for you they will likely have a great time on tour together, the shows will be awesome and they'll probably want to work together again in the future

PTH2009 wrote: »
    More than likely the members of Guns will be doing there pre gig routines while the support is on and won't be paying much attention to what's going on outside on the stage

True, GNR will probably be busy getting ready for their own set. But after the show the guys in both bands will probably hang out together, get a beer, usual tour stuff.

Wow! Your hatred for Babymetal is real:cool:. I can see how this must be a painful time for you, seeing one of your favorite bands, embracing a band you hate. Aww! that video of Slash endorsing them, must have really hurt your little feelings.:D To use your own words you "cant wait for these shows to be over"

You don't have to like them mate. But you sound pathetic denying the obvious that GNR inviting them on their tour is a clear endorsement of Babymetal. Unfortunately for you they will likely have a great time on tour together, the shows will be awesome and they'll probably want to work together again in the future

No it's non existent :rolleyes:, of course it's real, an act put together by a talent agency, is that what it's come too in metal, a manufactured act, jesus wept, sooner they burn out and fade away into obscurity the better. I honestly couldn't care what Slash said about them, he and the rest of Guns have done things in the music industry that Babymetal will NEVER EVER amount too.

Again with the assumptions

If I sound pathetic, then your and everyone else's sycophancy towards a bunch of teenage girls is quiet frankly nauseating.

• Advertisement

True, GNR will probably be busy getting ready for their own set. But after the show the guys in both bands will probably hang out together, get a beer, usual tour stuff.

Nope, Duff's been sober since '94, Slash since '06. Axl does whatever Axl pleases, Richard doesn't drink, Dizzy - Same as Axl. Frank I ain't sure of.

Straight to the buses and onto the next city. The "usual tour stuff" days are looooong over.

Anyways moving on, ex GN'R bassist Tommy Stinson believes a new album will happen eventually.
    That’s so true and they’re playing two-and-half-hour shows. At some point Axl (Rose) is going to get antsy and want to make new music. Every musician wants to do something different. I saw them twice and they were great. I know everyone in that band but Slash. They’re great guys. Axl is having fun. I hear from him from time to time.

http://www.app.com/story/entertainment/music/2017/01/20/qa-tommy-stinson-talks-bash-pop/96768890/

No it's non existent :rolleyes:, of course it's real, an act put together by a talent agency, is that what it's come too in metal, a manufactured act, jesus wept, sooner they burn out and fade away into obscurity the better. I honestly couldn't care what Slash said about them, he and the rest of Guns have done things in the music industry that Babymetal will NEVER EVER amount too.

Again with the assumptions

If I sound pathetic, then your and everyone else's sycophancy towards a bunch of teenage girls is quiet frankly nauseating.

The problem here is there doesn't seem to be much sign of them to burn out or fade away into obscurity anytime soon

In April they became the first band from Japan to sell out a solo show at Wembley Arena in London. They also broke the all time merchandise sales record for a single day event at Wembley and their 2nd album Metal Resistance reached the highest position in UK charts of any band in their country's history.

Babymetal-Wembley.jpg

In September, back in Japan they sold 110000 tickets for two sell out nights at the 55,000 capacity Tokyo Dome stadium by themselves. I'd say they are doing pretty well for themselves.

8fb172d1-12a8-4e6c-bdbe-750e5da89f72?w=800

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

You do realise this is the GN'R thread,not a babymetal one right? Go start a babymetal one instead of spamming the GN'R & Metallica threads if you so desire.

lord lucan wrote: »
    You do realise this is the GN'R thread,not a babymetal one right? Go start a babymetal one instead of spamming the GN'R & Metallica threads if you so desire.

Sure! it's all in relation to GNR's current tour of Japan and likewise previously related to the Metallica show in Korea. Not much point in creating a new thread.

Rocket Queen rehearsal prior to the Osaka show, entire band bar Axl of course.

2 more Japanese shows, then onto New Zealand, then the short trip to Australia, won't be long before the months start flying and they roll into Slane to kick off the European leg.

Sorry but I googled Kawaii metal and it clearly states styles; Heavy Metal-JPOP-EDM it suggests Babymetal as the founders of this sub genre which only lists 2 other bands, that hardly warrants a sub genre at least in my eyes, glossed with a metal backing band they may be but to detract that the girls themselves (which clearly is the acts focal point) aren't JPOP in any way is simply delusional.

• Advertisement

Yea, The tour moves on to Saitama Super Arena for a back to back this weekend. The 2nd biggest indoor arena in the world, This place is massive, twice the size of Yokohama. A venue Babymetal have packed out before. Sunday night could very well be the most epic GNR show in the Tokyo area since 1993.

Sorry but I googled Kawaii metal and it clearly states styles; Heavy Metal-JPOP-EDM it suggests Babymetal as the founders of this sub genre which only lists 2 other bands, that hardly warrants a sub genre at least in my eyes, glossed with a metal backing band they may be but to detract that the girls themselves (which clearly is the acts focal point) aren't JPOP in any way is simply delusional.

You can't separate the various elements of a band and say one is independent of the other though. Regardless of how much of the focus is on the vocal and dance elements of Babymetal. The band is a group of 7 members. Ohmura (guitar), Leda (guitar), Aoyama (Drums) and Boh (Bass)
    I would argue are just as important to this group. They perform as a collective.

Kawaii Metal refers to the combination of two genres, Heavy Metal and J-Pop
    The music at its core is Metal, The vocal and dance elements have strong J-Pop influences and they do mix multiple other genres into their music.

What Babymetal do is nether J-Pop, nor what anyone would consider "conventional" Heavy Metal.

Slash said it best, in that short radio clip, "It's really its own thing"

I think fellow bands in Metal and Rock respect Babymetal for how unique and creative they are as a band, There really isn't anything like them out there.

As for the Metal/Rock fans. I think you either get it or you don't.

You'll either think they are something fun, new, creative, interesting, or you'll think it's the greatest load of shyte you've ever seen or heard.

Luckly, opinions are like arse holes, Everybody has one.:D

You can't separate the various elements of a band and say one is independent of the other though. Regardless of how much of the focus is on the vocal and dance elements of Babymetal. The band is a group of 7 members. Ohmura (guitar), Leda (guitar), Aoyama (Drums) and Boh (Bass)
    I would argue are just as important to this group. They perform as a collective.

You would argue and you'd be correct they are important as they are the live instrumentation but I've bolded your opening line and beg to differ you can separate the various elements and they do it!! any promotion I've seen shows the 3 girls thats it.
    Sure! it's all in relation to GNR's current tour of Japan and likewise previously related to the Metallica show in Korea. Not much point in creating a new thread.

Where ya going to go when the tour ends the weekend? There was a Babymetal thread before but it got locked a disaster iirc.

You would argue and you'd be correct they are important as they are the live instrumentation but I've bolded your opening line and beg to differ you can separate the various elements and they do it!! any promotion I've seen shows the 3 girls thats it.

Sure for promotion, The 3 girls are the image Babymetal put forward, The visual aspect of the band. Part of their appeal is that they are different. When you think of the "metal image" you don't think of young Japanese ladies in Gothic Lolita style dress. They will them stand out. They will attract attention. However there is no separation on stage, where the whole band perform together, people see what they do on stage together, The high energy performance, Vocals, Quality metal instrumentals, Dance routines, flame throwers.They are known for their spectacular live shows.

It's what slash was referring to when he said they were the most exciting thing he had seen in years.
    Where ya going to go when the tour ends the weekend? There was a Babymetal thread before but it got locked a disaster iirc.

:D I don't think there's much call for a separate thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Has anybody that joined the fanclub on the week of the Slane ticket sale got their t-shirts yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Has anybody that joined the fanclub on the week of the Slane ticket sale got their t-shirts yet?

Nope, was wondering about them too the other day!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

This is a Guns N' Roses discussion thread, please keep discussion on topic and not derailing threads with major discussion of other bands,Babymetal incidents are still fresh in our minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

I received mine early last week,t-shirt, lanyard and laminate.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭keeponrockin

No..Nothing yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,392 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

what the T shirts like?

Any pics, just curious

Advertisement