Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guns N' Roses Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,016 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So it seems from having read the other GNR message boards that duff and to a lesser extent slash aren't seen as the most popular despite them coming back to the band.

It seems duff is a selfish and false person who's only in it for the money. I don't think that's true myself. Slash is more or less the same and Steven should be the drummer(despite him never having undertaken a tour of this size) and also why isn't izzy involved.

I know Steven was meant to be involved and hurt his back but honestly would he have been up for the tour both physically and sobriety wise ? I don't think so personally.

Izzy isn't there because of the money he was offered. He made that clear. I just don't understand how two original members come back into the band and Slash and Axl are not only talking again but friends it seems and fans are still bitching and moaning. It's why GNR fans can't have nice things because a minority make the majority look terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

For me, the band haven't reunited as much as it's a nostalgia trip. A live release will be forgiven, maybe even one song comprised on tour, but I don't see this as a band. I see it as a travelling performance and the moment this tour completely expires I'll be surprised if we get anything further. The band also have no reason or rhyme to release another album, except to satisfy people like me who will appreciate it, where as most would destroy it on the basis of its exsistence. Which is a shame.

I can't wait to see them again next year, enjoyed London 2017 and there was a real sense of completion in seeing the band with Slash and Duff back.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭evillive

Would feel similar to above comments that it's a money spinner, no connection on stage, but what else can they do with their time.

However as a fan the concert experiences have been unreal, the atmosphere before the first Vegas show was pure electric, half those attending dressed like they were straight off sunset strip right at the beginning in the 80s and probably were, half the flight from London were going to the gig, it really was special

Being in the pit at slane and looking back at the crowd was a lasting memory, and having been there in '92 it was a great return, perhaps the most personable of the band performances

And this year Vegas again a 3.5 hours extravaganza, a real real show, like I said no love lost on stage, but I walked out of each of them buzzing, everybody was.

Would love a live DVD with tracks from all the special shows, troubadour, slane etc. Bit of behind the scenes with the fans, crew and the band.

Live cd wouldn't be too different from the live era albums and can't see anything new as there's no money in that for bands, nor could I see them writing again, unless there's unreleased stuff in the vaults from back in the day that they can re-record, that would do me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

For the last episode of My Favorite Riff, we end on a high note as Nikki sits down with his good friend Slash. They talk about their shared love for Aerosmith, learning Zeppelin riffs, and the joy of being a musician..

Slash sat in with Nikki and Jenn for the final 2 shows of Sixx Sense, and midway thru the interview, Joe Perry joined the conversation.

GN'R came up in the conversation..
    (Slash and Axl talked on the phone for the first time on 9 March 2015)

Nikki: Anything about GnR that you want to talk about, like how it felt...

Slash: We can talk about it, I mean yeah, we can talk about... I mean, all things considered, the tour, you know, what ended up being NITL, that kind of thing, you know... I left in ’96 and Axl and I didn’t talk in... so 2015...

Nikki: So, I kinda wondered a little bit about the similarities, because like when Motley broke up we’re not friends, and... It left a little hole in my heart.

Slash: Well, there was always that thing. I won’t get into to all the personal stuff...

Nikki: Yeah, we don’t want to get into that anyway.

Slash: But, you know, over all that period of time, there was, you know, a lot of bad feelings, from the break up up into... all throughout, that whole 20 years, whatever it was.

Nikki: That’s crazy, 20 years...

Slash: But you know, there is also a part of you, that’s like in a marriage, where you love somebody, you know, so there is always that feeling, but then there is all this negative stuff, and...

Nikki: Sure.

Slash: Any...

Nikki: ...which by the way comes from a lot of people.

Slash: Well, there was so much stuff perpetuated in the media and just blown up out of proportion. So when he and I talked for the first time, it was really, really cool.

-Was it in person?

Slash: Yeah, that was... No, first time we spoke was on the phone, and then we got together when I got back into town, because I was on the road. I was in Peru, I remember it specifically. But it was very cathartic to...

Nikki: I can see that.

Slash: ...to physically talk, ‘cause I mean there’s a bond you have that it’s never... you know...

Nikki: For sure.

Slash: And then it makes the break up... I mean what happened... it’s just... the bond makes the negative side that much worse, because you’re forced out of it. Anyway, so... When we got together and played, it was Coachella. It was just ****in’ awesome. And we played the Troubadour, it was the first gig that we did. And so... and it just snowballed from there. 18 months... It’s been... I mean I would never, you know... If you talked to me 20 months ago, I would have said ‘No ****ing way. It’s not ever gonna happen.’ But it did, and it was ****in’ awesome.

Nikki: And it happened at the right time. It’s a time there are people ready... Obviously you see it in the ticket sales and the enthusiasm from fans, and the different generations... The cool thing about being gone as long as the band was gone, the original band, is that people discover you, but never ever could ever see you.

Slash: There was a lot of that...

Nikki: So it’s like ‘this is our chance’ and that’s fantastic. And I’m sure it made everything much, much better. It must have been kind of weird to look over and there’s Duff and Axl... I didn’t think this would ever happen.

Slash: Yes, it’s very surreal. You know, these moments on stage, where you short of take stock of where you are at the moment and you go ‘oh wow, this isn’t true’.

Nikki: Yeah, look at this. It’s sort of like seeing the guys from when you were kids.

Slash: And the funny thing... There’s something about this particular tour, that it didn’t make me... it didn’t take me back to, you know, the last tour in the 90s, where... It wasn’t reminiscent of that, it was completely uniquely its own new thing. Same guys, same songs, but a whole different experience

• Advertisement

Commence with the wild speculation. Slash in the studio yesterday.

26731492_1654945137895132_7309320599030304565_n.jpg?oh=6349e77a0a0d3d1a956ecb4bc1aa2bfe&oe=5AB8757E

New GN'R album??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Slash is playing six dates in the UK with Myles Kennedy in support of Myles's new album, the first of which is on St Patrick's Day in Birmingham.

http://teamrock.com/news/2018-01-15/myles-kennedy-announces-solo-uk-tour

• Registered Users Posts: 38,461 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

rednik wrote: »
    Slash is playing six dates in the UK with Myles Kennedy in support of Myles's new album, the first of which is on St Patrick's Day in Birmingham.

http://teamrock.com/news/2018-01-15/myles-kennedy-announces-solo-uk-tour

Dont think Slash is playing its only Myles Kennedy AFAIK

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Dont think Slash is playing its only Myles Kennedy AFAIK

Looks that way, I misread the article :(

A mate passed this on to me, taken from http://www.crazydaysandnights.net, how reliable the site is? Anyone's guess.
    This permanent A list rock group has apparently agreed to do something they said they'd never, ever do. Make another record with (most of) the original lineup. They just signed a deal with one of the top five most famous producers of all time to take the helm of the project. Among his stipulations was that every member of the band cede control to the producer, and if any single one member of the band departs or screws up? It is over. According to one member, no more half-hearted collaborative efforts for that band. At this point, why would they even try? Aside from the expense of paying off past lawsuits and alimony, they want the money. Apparently all that recent concert money they've recently earned has reminded them they were once that good. This should be interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Anyone listen to podcasts? Just finished listening to The Jasta Show (Jamey Jasta - Hatebreed) and his guest was Andy Copping, great listen and into Download.

Talked quite a bit about GnR as he promoted the summer UK stadium shows, i'll put spoiler tag on this if you want to listen, and it's well worth it
    He had lunch with Duff during the summer and asked him about the lateness, Duff said that was a big issue and was discussed at length, and that since the discussion Axl hadn't missed a rehearsal (which he had done many times in the past) and was often the first person there.
    Also Jasta offered to pay for Adler's plane ticket over to Download, Copping said he would love that to happen for a few songs.
    On one of the nights at Olympic Stadium in London Axl said he was ready and wanted to go on stage 10mins early, Copping had to refuse as still had 15,000 or so fans going through security checks, so for the first time Axl had to wait for the fans rather than the other way around

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    A mate passed this on to me, taken from http://www.crazydaysandnights.net, how reliable the site is? Anyone's guess.

I dunno new music could be hit and miss sort of ruin the legacy of the partly reunited band . It's the hits and the old tunes plus the visual impact of Axl and Slash sharing the same stage area together that are putting bums on seats and filling the stadiums
    That's where the money is. It's common knowledge there's feck all revenue in album sales it's selling out stadiums is where it's at.
    There's s few quotes on the statement that rules out guns
    The money for one their cash cow is merch and the road
    The half hearted collaborations I couldn't define Slash"s solo work and Duffs side projects as half hearted or Axls nu Gnr for that matter.
    And the big one Axl giving over control ...even during appetite according to Duff in a recent interview (6 months or so ) with Chris Jerricho he said Axl always had a vision that pushed the rest of the band to go a step further . So i cant see a producer saying thats a wrap and Axl going "ok boss"

What would be cool is change up the set list bring in some other illusions material bring back move to the city and some other stuff of Spaghetti e.g. Down on the farm, Ain't it fun and raw power or do we have to wait for Iggy to pass on for that one .

I think the clues are there that it's being hinted at. Even Axl himself mentioned it in 2016 when he was in London with AC/DC.

Guess it's just a wait and see situation, damn it why can't Guns function like a normal band..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I think the clues are there that it's being hinted at. Even Axl himself mentioned it in 2016 when he was in London with AC/DC.

Guess it's just a wait and see situation, damn it why can't Guns function like a normal band..

Re: your last bit:- Axl Rose - that's why!

Sean Beavan (he did some Recording and digital editing, arrangements, initial production, additional production on Chinese Democracy) did an interview with Guns N' Roses Central. Worth a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

You can actually picture this. The band do soundcheck, they turn their backs for a minute and Izzy's just gone, never to be seen again lol

https://www.alternativenation.net/izzy-stradlin-showed-up-guns-n-roses-reunion-show-something-really-upset-him/

^^^ What I found interesting in that is that Niven credited Erin Everly and Meegan for bringing Axl & Slash back together..

^^^ What I found interesting in that is that Niven credited Erin Everly and Meegan for bringing Axl & Slash back together..

Yeah, I forgot to mention that part as it certainly jumped out at me too. Seemingly that info has been out for quite a while! Whatever about Axl and Slash reuniting, the idea that Axl and Erin would ever talk again seemed even more unlikely. But sure what do any of us ever truly know...

https://www.alternativenation.net/the-two-women-who-reunited-guns-n-roses-will-surprise-you/

Yeah, I forgot to mention that part as it certainly jumped out at me too. Seemingly that info has been out for quite a while! Whatever about Axl and Slash reuniting, the idea that Axl and Erin would ever talk again seemed even more unlikely. But sure what do any of us ever truly know...

https://www.alternativenation.net/the-two-women-who-reunited-guns-n-roses-will-surprise-you/

Axl & Erin, given what happened between them way back, a case of time healing old wounds perhaps?

Would be great when all is finally said and done the veil of secrecy is lifted and we get a straight, no bull**** account from everyone involved of how the reunion came to be.

But as we all know with GN'R, things are never quiet that simple/straightforward.

Axl & Erin, given what happened between them way back, a case of time healing old wounds perhaps?

Would be great when all is finally said and done the veil of secrecy is lifted and we get a straight, no bull**** account from everyone involved of how the reunion came to be.

But as we all know with GN'R, things are never quiet that simple/straightforward.

Yeah I suppose if they were that crazy about each other in the first place, the feelings probably never went away. Two sides of the same coin and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Imagine this will interest some here...Rose Tattoo playing LL2, Belfast (7th) & Voodoo Lounge, Dublin (8th) in September. Girlschool to support.

Madagascar demo from 2001.

Yesterday marked the 2 year anniversary of The Troubadour show in Los Angeles. And the first time Axl & Slash shared a stage for the first time since July 1993.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,634 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Two years? How is that two years? Feels like about 6 months.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Two years? How is that two years? Feels like about 6 months.

Time flies.. Next weekend will also be the 2 years since the first 2 shows in Vegas.

It's nearly a year since Slane.

Guns, Pearl Jam & U2, it almost happened but was shot down, according to ex-Guns manager Doug Goldstein.

http://www.nme.com/news/music/joint-tour-pearl-jam-guns-n-roses-u2-2280026

Both Slash and Duff, and their respective partners, wished Izzy a happy birthday on Twitter yesterday. Probably means nothing, certainly not as significant as Slash tweeting the same to Axl a year before the reunion, but still nice to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

GNR scheduled in for 3.5hour slot at Graspop! Is this the case with all their other festivals too - they seem to be doing their 'not in this lifetime' headline gig and just thrown a festival day around it!

• Advertisement

GNR scheduled in for 3.5hour slot at Graspop! Is this the case with all their other festivals too - they seem to be doing their 'not in this lifetime' headline gig and just thrown a festival day around it!

Saw on twitter the other day that they'd be doing 2+ hours for Download.. So that's probably gonna be the same with their other festival appearances.

Advertisement