Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guns N' Roses Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Sly rax

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Saw on twitter the other day that they'd be doing 2+ hours for Download.. So that's probably gonna be the same with their other festival appearances.

According to downloads Facebook site they are due to play for 3 hours, which is great to hear, Slane got 27 songs which ordinarily is a lot but there was no don't cry, yesterdays, or my Michelle that they played for the tail end of the European tour and the subsequent states tour

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Sly rax wrote: »
    According to downloads Facebook site they are due to play for 3 hours, which is great to hear, Slane got 27 songs which ordinarily is a lot but there was no don't cry, yesterdays, or my Michelle that they played for the tail end of the European tour and the subsequent states tour

Crowd will definitely get there money's worth then...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Saw on twitter the other day that they'd be doing 2+ hours for Download.. So that's probably gonna be the same with their other festival appearances.

3 hours at the Donington site is what the promoters have said, bands can only play till 11 due to curfew can play away to there hearts content elsewhere in Europe haven't seen anywhere where shortening their set for a festival has been publicized.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,301 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

http://www.hysteriamag.com/steven-adler-guns-blazin/

Steven Adler has been talking again and as usual it's not helping him.

"My goal was to finish what I started, and Izzy’s too [former guitarist Izzy Stradlin]. Iz is just as heartbroken as I am that the three of them decided to leave us out and bring three strangers in–who are those people?"

Let Izzy say if he's heartbroken himself. Why does steven do this **** to himself ? He got a chance to play with the three other lads for a few songs, which is more than anyone expected, but he can't leave it go. Bar Melissa they aren't strangers to Izzy, and Steven seemed happy enough to take pictures with and be nice to. Steven Adler might come across as happy and friendly, but he has a nasty side to him.

"We’re gonna play Appetite For Destruction the way it sounds on the record, not the way the G N’ R guys are doing it now, we’re gonna do it the right way, and then some"

Ah jesus help us Steven is living in the past. Bar frank not playing his parts exactly the same, the band sounds excellent playing the appetite stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Steven ruins Steven's chances of rejoining the band yet again.
    There's no end to the lads talent for this carry on

At the end of the day his brain cells are fried the lad still thinks it's 1988 and they're all still in their mid 20s
    Just say no kids
    The appetite era and sound defines GnR for me and a lot of that sound and groove is down to Steven's natural style of druming. More than he gets credit for I'd go as far to say .
    It's no secret his head is melted and I was surprised and excited to see him return to the drum stool for guest appearances. Honestly I was emotionally delighted for him when I was watching a periscope feed of the first gig he played back with the band . Genuinely it's takes a fair bit to emotionally affect this 42 year old man. But I was smiling for days after .
    The lad is a liability because of his mental state so ultimately from a business point of view a lot of the blame has to fall on his management his mother and brother.
    He could of been a great cash cow to wheel out every couple of nights knock out a few classics the fans love it gain Axls trust and be a semi permanent part of the tour and band again.
    But no his management decide to release a book about poor Steve and how he was kicked out of the mean bad band and then do a series of interviews promoting said book
    The mind boggles absolutely boggles .
    All the dude wants to do is drum, so just tow the line with the GnR machine and keep him away from a microphone.
    Poor fuker.

• Advertisement

^^^ Also keep him from doing interviews.. He's been spouting again...

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/steven-adler-izzy-stradlin-heartbroken-over-guns-n-roses-reunion-absence/

At this point, he's just a sad ex who wants another chance. As for Izzy, well only Izzy knows what Izzy does.

He has an 11am slot at Wacken this year :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

What an idiot. He keeps banging on about how not being resentful was part of his process for getting sober and yet he sounds like the most resentful person you can imagine.

I think we can all see Steven's position and understand his frustrations. He got a taste for the big time again by making those guest appearances, something which seemed out of reach for him so no wonder he wants more. But dissing the other musicians like that is really bad form and you can be sure Axl, Slash and Duff will have taken note. He has surely blown whatever chance he had of sharing a stage with them ever again.

Richard and Frank are hardly strangers to Guns at this point, 12 & 16 years in the band respectively, longer than either Izzy or Steven's tenures in the band.

So Steven referring to them as strangers is quiet head scratching.

Longer than Slash Izzy and Duff also funnily enough
    The only thing that's keeping him relevant is that 30 years ago he played on one of the best selling and important album's of all time

• Advertisement

Richard and Frank are hardly strangers to Guns at this point, 12 & 16 years in the band respectively, longer than either Izzy or Steven's tenures in the band.

So Steven referring to them as strangers is quiet head scratching.

Also, the fact that there are pictures of him on members of GNR's social media accounts. Axl seemed to not be a fan of his mother and I'd say she is behind some of this. He isn't going to be forgotten for what he did on appetite for destruction so I don't know why he seems to have clung to it for nearly thirty years.

I know hindsight is a great thing but I've just been reading some post from May 2015 from this thread so nearly three years ago. Jesus if we only knew then for definite what we know now it's to see how we all made assumptions that didn't pan out.

The fact that I(along with many on this thread) got to see Axl Rose, Slash, and Duff McKagan, and Dizzy Reed(why not he's part of the UYI era) on the same stage under the GNR name for the first time since July, 1993 at Slane on a wet saturday in May, it doesn't matter what I got completely wrong. I can musically at least die happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭PetraMac

Hear hear!!
    What a ****ing amazing wet Saturday that was!
    You going to any of the gigs this summer??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

I saw them in sunny london in the amazing olympic stadium, easy the best gig i have ever seen!

Heading to Graspop to see them and strongly considering doing the day trip to Download!

(I know you didn't ask me but I wanna join in :p )

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭PetraMac

Sounds brilliant!
    I’m heading to see them in Sweden in July!! Can’t wait!

PetraMac wrote: »
    Sounds brilliant!
    I’m heading to see them in Sweden in July!! Can’t wait!

No I've nothing planned as I kind of spoiled gigs for myself with Slane last year.

Graspop for me, great line up too :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Drove past Slane today, on way home i drove in to have a look, hard to believe that less than 12months ago 80,000 fans were in there, drove right up to Castle and got out for a look, the place looks remarkably smaller when empty.

This might be my favourite version of DTJ ever. And it helps that Axl doesn't have to hit any high notes in this song. Slash is just unreal in this and Frank doesn't make a mess of the drums on this song.

Itssoeasy wrote: »

This might be my favourite version of DTJ ever. And it helps that Axl doesn't have to hit any high notes in this song. Slash is just unreal in this and Frank doesn't make a mess of the drums on this song.

A friend sent me the soundboard recording of this very gig a day after it happened. Absolutely brilliant from start to finish.

• Advertisement

I know this concert isn't a new one on youtube but this seems to have the pre show and the camera men filming the crowd which is new to me. It's an interesting few minutes at the start(NSFW). Anyway the point is imagine the footage that GNR filmed and wasn't stolen like this Chicago show one was ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,819 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

PTH2009 wrote: »

I'm guessing a reissue or something along those lines.

Would Appetite even need a reissue? And both Illusions records are 3 years away from the 30 year anniversary?

Could be something for GN'R Lies which is actually 30 years released this year.

Commence with the wild speculation.

Looks to be a thing for GNR fm a radio station which plays GnR related material .
    There was a similar one in the US on Sirus Fm leading up to the Apollo Gig

Saw this on Facebook..

31530996_1871923906160914_316694378552754176_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=5830f62f58c47dd1bf6685ff7ff696de&oe=5B9D7DCA

Would Appetite even need a reissue? And both Illusions records are 3 years away from the 30 year anniversary?

Could be something for GN'R Lies which is actually 30 years released this year.

Commence with the wild speculation.

Absolutely it does! I remember a debate in here before about this. For a band so iconic and so popular they haven't really capitalised on this over the years. It would be very GNR to release a 30th anniversary Appetite record on its 31st anniversary! So maybe they'll tie it all up with Lies, which is kind of a companion piece to Appetite anyway. Here's hoping.

Absolutely it does! I remember a debate in here before about this. For a band so iconic and so popular they haven't really capitalised on this over the years. It would be very GNR to release a 30th anniversary Appetite record on its 31st anniversary! So maybe they'll tie it all up with Lies, which is kind of a companion piece to Appetite anyway. Here's hoping.

Okay then, ignoring the thing I posted from Facebook, hypothetically what could be added to a 30 Year re-release/re-issue of Appetite For Destruction?

Okay then, ignoring the thing I posted from Facebook, hypothetically what could be added to a 30 Year re-release/re-issue of Appetite For Destruction?

Demos/Sessions/Rough mixes

Live album: Marquee 87/Budokan 88, lots more in the vaults I'm sure

Live DVD: Ritz 88 would be a no brainer.

Making of Appetite and early days documentary. Interviews with all the major players...the band, Mike Clink, Tom Zutaut, Alan Niven (not that Axl would allow that!).

TV appearances/interviews/the videos

A book with extensive essay/liner notes

And of course...an iron on cross-skulls patch :)

• Advertisement

Demos/Sessions/Rough mixes

Live album: Marquee 87/Budokan 88, lots more in the vaults I'm sure

Live DVD: Ritz 88 would be a no brainer.

Making of Appetite and early days documentary. Interviews with all the major players...the band, Mike Clink, Tom Zutaut, Alan Niven (not that Axl would allow that!).

TV appearances/interviews/the videos

A book with extensive essay/liner notes

And of course...an iron on cross-skulls patch :)

giphy.gif

Consider me sold on the hypothetical re-release/re-issue of Appetite For Destruction..

Advertisement