Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guns N' Roses Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,013 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Demos/Sessions/Rough mixes

Live album: Marquee 87/Budokan 88, lots more in the vaults I'm sure

Live DVD: Ritz 88 would be a no brainer.

Making of Appetite and early days documentary. Interviews with all the major players...the band, Mike Clink, Tom Zutaut, Alan Niven (not that Axl would allow that!).

TV appearances/interviews/the videos

A book with extensive essay/liner notes

And of course...an iron on cross-skulls patch :)

What demos are known to survive from the appetite era ? I think I'm right in saying that a few songs from that era where put onto the UYI albums. There was back off bitch and november rain of the top of my head. i know the songs crash diet and Cornchucker weren't released but they are out there.

The Marquee 1987 show audio is out there.

Making of appetite has been discussed to death by three members of the band and in the book reckless road they dedicate a whole chapter.

I've heard that MTV deleted the master footage of the Ritz show(by accident i'm assuming, or else MTV lost their minds at some point) and now the full uncut show is extremely rare.

There is the perfect crime documentary but I'm not sure what kind of relationship Robert john who filmed it and Axl have. I know they sued each other.

I'd love to see rare stuff but all this stuff is out there in various forms. I mean yes it'd be nice to have it all together but this is GNR. I mean an ex drummer is celebrating the 30th anniversary of an album one year later. If that doesn't tell you all you need to know about GNR then I don't know what will.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    What demos are known to survive from the appetite era ? I think I'm right in saying that a few songs from that era where put onto the UYI albums. There was back off bitch and november rain of the top of my head. i know the songs crash diet and Cornchucker weren't released but they are out there.

Making of appetite has been discussed to death by three members of the band and in the book reckless road they dedicate a whole chapter.

I've heard that MTV deleted the master footage of the Ritz show(by accident i'm assuming, or else MTV lost their minds at some point) and now the full uncut show is extremely rare.

There is the perfect crime documentary but I'm not sure what kind of relationship Robert john who filmed it and Axl have. I know they sued each other.

I'd love to see rare stuff but all this stuff is out there in various forms. I mean yes it'd be nice to have it all together but this is GNR. I mean an ex drummer is celebrating the 30th anniversary of an album one year later. If that doesn't tell you all you need to know about GNR then I don't know what will.

Nope, it's on YouTube.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Nope, it's on YouTube.

No I know it is. Sorry they apparently deleted the full uncut version. So all the videos that claim to uncut aren't.

No I know it is. Sorry they apparently deleted the full uncut version. So all the videos that claim to uncut aren't.

Look up Gibbos YouTube Channel & check the videos tab.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,460 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I think they need to make a new Documentary on the reunion and the NITL tour

A blu ray of one of the shows would be very welcome in my eyes

• Advertisement

^^ I'd gladly take a live album.

They've done enough shows since 2016 that they'd be easily able to do a live album.

a lot of places thinking its going to be a boxset

some thinking its going to be a full reunion and UK Tour ???

id gladly take a tour with a Dublin date in the 3arena but there seems to be a trend now with Ireland being skipped by some touring acts :mad::mad:

Would be great if it were all smoke and mirrors for a new album, but unfortunately it isn't.

But at least Slash has a new solo album coming in September :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

PTH2009 wrote: »
    some thinking its going to be a full reunion and UK Tour ???

I really doubt that, would love it, but just can't see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

It may be all out there but it's the same when any group releases a box set full of 'rarities'...most of the stuff is already out there. But as you say it's nice to have it in one place. I mean I have tons of stuff scattered across CDs, vinyl, tapes and digital files. Granted, it's all on YouTube now anyway but you get the idea.

As far as a live show, they made such a mess of Live Era that it would be great for a proper warts n' all concert to be given an official release. Especially one featuring the original five.

The demos you referred to are out there as the Rumbo Tapes and would be nice to go with a UYI package. But as far as I know those incredible November Rain demos were done before Appetite and seeing as the song had been considered for that album but was held back it could work having them on an Appetite box set.

Either way, they really should do something for the fans 'who stuck with them through all the f***** s***!'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭evillive

ozzy jr wrote: »
    I really doubt that, would love it, but just can't see it.

Can't see it myself but Zepp did the Celebration gig (albeit it was a tribute to Ahmed Ertegun) and they were never going to play again so mebbe a once off, pay per view and live DVD cd package?? No way Steven could tour imo and Izzy appears to be exiled, we did think Slash was once too, not in my lifetime and all that ??

I remember having some of the bootleg tapes post appetite pre illusion and recall November rain but loads of other covers and original demos, be sweet if they took those originals and polished them off.

There's now a countdown timer on the website with a snippet of what I'm guessing is Reckless Life, it doesn't stay playing long enough to tell.

https://www.gnr.fm/#/info

There's now a countdown timer on the website with a snippet of what I'm guessing is Reckless Life, it doesn't stay playing long enough to tell.

https://www.gnr.fm/#/info

Can't make it up in my head so the announcement is Friday just before 4.30am our time ??

The song being played on the website is Shadow Of Your Love, a hyper-charged holdover from Axl Rose and Izzy Stradlin's days with hard rockers Hollywood Rose.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_Rose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

I just had a look at the map. It's hardly a tour going by the distribution of cities marked, there must be 25 dots on Japan, yet only 2 in the whole of S America. 5 in the US, 4 in the UK.

Oh, the excitement at the thought of the original line up reuniting :D

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭evillive

Mebbe I'm thinking too much into this. A 30th anniversary edition of Appetite really wouldn't have to be kept that hush hush right??

So then is it a gig? There were posters in the run up to Slane (and other countries) announcement with the g'n'r logo and 'Patience' so that format suggests a concert from the London posters??

Where?? Am sure the original line-up will sell out in seconds wherever but why London? If it's a one off why not Hollywood/LA their band birthplace? Small tour then 20 venues? Something that Steven and Izzy could/expect to commit to?

My head is melted!!!

The recently announced Iceland gig looks good tho 10k capacity venue, great opportunity to see them in a medium size venue especially considering the quality they are putting out now

The song being played on the website is Shadow Of Your Love, a hyper-charged holdover from Axl Rose and Izzy Stradlin's days with hard rockers Hollywood Rose.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_Rose

That sounds different to any other version I've heard. There's the version from the Live Like a Suicide sessions (the B side to It's So Easy) and I can recall another faster jackhammer version. Plus the Hollywood Rose demo. It's a teaser for what's gonna be on the box set...has to be!

Lots of wild speculation about Shadow of Your Love. That it's a brand new recording with the current line-up. The lead guitar part does sound very...fresh! Or it's a demo version that no one has heard before. Or it's the original version with Izzy and Steven's parts replaced by Frank and Richard.

Who knows but we'll find out soon enough.

A few reunion shows in the o2 London in autumn ??

Tempting if it happens

A few reunion shows in the o2 London in autumn ??

Tempting if it happens

Doubt it. Would they wanna deal with Steven and his recent running his mouth at every chance he gets.

As for Izzy

WheresIzzy.jpg

Also think the timer is ticking down to tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Doubt it. Would they wanna deal with Steven and his recent running his mouth at every chance he gets.

As for Izzy

WheresIzzy.jpg

Also think the timer is ticking down to tomorrow.

We thought Slash and Axl would never talk again and there now best friends again

Money talks

Nah Steven had his chance, constantly running his mouth didn't help whatever slim hopes he had.

It's nice to see this part of the GNR online community reporting about this new development. There is one site which has gone down the rabbit hole and is trying to work out which version of shadow of your love that was playing. There are lists.

Midnight 2morrow is the reavel

Better be worth it lol

Midnight 2morrow is the reavel

Better be worth it lol

5am Friday morning I read.

You're not actually gonna attempt to stay up for it?

5am Friday morning I read.

You're not actually gonna attempt to stay up for it?

No way but my sleep pattern is all over the place so I'll prob wake up before or around the time lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

As good as confirmed a 4 CD box set of remastered Appetite and officially unreleased remastered demos from 1986 to 1987
    A lot of stuff which was on utube up untill last week
    Prob including a DVD for release 29-6-18 locked n loaded.

Apparently there's a super deluxe box set which will cost around 650 dollars :pac:

Then there's a 'standard' box set too. Here's the video explainer from gnrcentral.com

If you don't want to listen to that someone posted a list of what he mentioned in the video. Absolutely insane.

-Embossed faux leather and wood cabinet
    -Handmade 3-D Cross
    -96 page hardbound book with unreleased photos from Axl's personal archive
    -4 CDs, 73 total tracks, 49 unreleased tracks
    -1 Blu Ray audio disc
    -Seven 12 inch 180-gram LPs
    -Original album expanded into two LPs
    -First ever album remaster from analogue tapes
    -Limited edition foil slipcase
    -4th side hologrove hologram
    -1 LP B-sides N' LPs
    -1 LP Live Like A Suicide
    -3 LP Sound City Session N' more, 25 unreleased songs from the 1986 session and 2 unreleased tracks from Mike Clink
    -Seven 7 inch singles on yellow vinyl (Welcome to the Jungle, Sweet Child O Mine, Patience, Nightrain, Shadow of your Love, Mr. Brownstone, Paradise City)
    -12 new illustration lithographs visualizing each song from the album
    -AFD turnmat
    -Six replica gig flyers
    -Welcome to the Jungle video invite flyer
    -Microfiber cleaning cloth
    -6 iron on stitched logo patches
    -5 metal guitar picks
    -3 replica ticket stubs
    -5 metal band skull lapel pins
    -2 inch collectible coin
    -5 buttons
    -7 inch adapter
    -5 metal band skull rings
    -1 AFD cross USB stick
    -5 never before seen band member photo lithographs
    -6 temporary band tattoos
    -Robert William's painting lithograph
    -2 band wall posters
    -Custom bandana with silver metallic ink
    -Replica 85/86 concert banner
    -Numbered certificate of authenticity

Saw this from above...

-4 CDs, 73 total tracks, 49 unreleased tracks

Sneaking out the new album unknown to everyone? :pac:

Or more than likely it's gonna be stuff we've already heard 1000 times before on YouTube...

• Advertisement

How much will the standard one cost and is the list what's in the standard or deluxe one ?

Advertisement