Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guns N' Roses Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

For anyone who's interested, 17 year old demos of Street Of Dream & There Was A Time are on YouTube..

• Registered Users Posts: 40,011 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Well I'm sure someone who's played/plays drums would be able to chip in and sort out the Frank & speed at which he plays debate..

I'm well aware of You Could Be Mine being written well before Sorum joined the band, as for Adler, he only contributed to Civil War, as for writing the drum parts for a lot of the Illusions, that's just wrong, according to both albums liner notes.. No mention of Adler bar Civil War, so I don't know where you pulled Adler writing the drum parts for the albums from..

Well it was Steven Adler who says it in his book... Ah right writing this post has just clicked as to why that might not be the best source. Well Sorum recorded the drum parts and Steven Adler will probably claim he wrote them.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well it was Steven Adler who says it in his book... Ah right writing this post has just clicked as to why that might not be the best source. Well Sorum recorded the drum parts and Steven Adler will probably claim he wrote them.

Aye, wouldn't exactly take Steven's word for it, even though he had a first hand back seat experience in the band for 5 years..

Think it's in recall Slash's book, that it was Sorum who did all the drum tracks for the Illusions albums, Civil War being the obvious exception.

30 songs in 30 days or something if I recall correctly.

Aye, wouldn't exactly take Steven's word for it, even though he had a first hand back seat experience in the band for 5 years..

Think it's in recall Slash's book, that it was Sorum who did all the drum tracks for the Illusions albums, Civil War being the obvious exception.

30 songs in 30 days or something if I recall correctly.

Well to be fair Steven did play drums on some songs that were on the Illusion albums and didn't sound different other than the difference in styles of the two lads. So, it's not wrong to say that Matt recorded what steven had done before him on those songs. The intro that I've seen of YCBM from steven shows that Matt's version is better.

Yeah I think Axl says it in some interview as well and it was either Locomotive or Breakdown where matt couldn't get the drums to sound like he wanted to and with such a short time frame, I recall that it nearly broke him.

• Advertisement

I take back EVERYTHING I ever said about me thinking Frank was playing fast. Sweet **** this is playing way too fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

A thing of beauty.

Would love to know what Paul Stanlely wanted to change about that song when they were been touted by the record company's.

https://youtu.be/czy8kMyJSkw

Found this peach also

https://youtu.be/czy8kMyJSkw

Found this peach also

I'm all for them doing these box sets if these are the kinda gems we'll get..

A thing of beauty.

Would love to know what Paul Stanlely wanted to change about that song when they were been touted by the record company's.

Wasn't it Paul Stanley that wanted to change the drums on appetite ? So drums probably.

• Advertisement

I'm all for them doing these box sets if these are the kinda gems we'll get..

The rasp seemed so effortless on the 1988 recording. Now Axl seems to have to think when the do it. I prefer the version on lies to this.

She hits the notes that Axl doesn't now.

Yeah but Axl's voice has a couple of decades wear n' tear to it that can't be replicated.

We'll see how well she hits them when she's 56 years old

Yeah but Axl's voice has a couple of decades wear n' tear to it that can't be replicated.

Yes I know he does, hence why I said can't hit them now. I honestly think it's his lack of singing in the mid to late nineties that hasn't helped his voice more then singing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭Inviere

She's a great singer, but I can't abide that X-Factor'y bollox that goes on like yodeling and using a hand like it's some kind of pitch control

Yes I know he does, hence why I said can't hit them now. I honestly think it's his lack of singing in the mid to late nineties that hasn't helped his voice more then singing.

Well I was referring more to the video you posted, sure anyone with a few singing lessons under their belt can learn to sing like Axl eventually, the one in the video is polished, whereas Axl, he was probably figuring it out as he went.

As for the mid to late 90's, guess we'll never really know what happened with Axl, best we can do is read about it..
    http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=5059

And seeing the Appetite box set is available tomorrow..

Just Axl and a piano. Some minor differences in the lyrics compared to the finished version that ended up on Illusions I 6 years later in '91..

Yeah I heard it earlier and I really liked it. I thought the ending was great compared. It just shows how good of a song axl wrote in November rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

They were a big (positive) surprise for me at Graspop.

Axl still isn't the best singer around ;) but to see Slash back in the band was amazing.
    Too bad Axl still thinks he can pull off the 1990's look :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Just wondering did anyone who pre-ordered from the GNR website get a dispatch notification yet?

rednik wrote: »
    Just wondering did anyone who pre-ordered from the GNR website get a dispatch notification yet?

Apparently their notoriously slow in dispatching stuff. So you could be waiting a while..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Got stuff before with no issue.

I was listening to the UYI albums earlier and I was sure I knew the words to all of the GNR songs but some of the UYI songs momentarily caught me on the lyrics. My question is, are there any lyrics for GNR songs that you think you know by heart but get caught out by.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭BurnUp78

Id Probably struggle to remember some of the verses to Breakdown and Locomotive as i dont listen to the Illusion albums much anymore.

Download festival continues on Sky Arts tonight be interesting to see what songs they choose to show of GnRs set, would be cool to hear a pro shot of Slither. Pity it wasnt a great night for Axls vocals though.. he sounds rough on the WTTJ snippet

Appetite back in the Billboard 200 Top 10, 29 years later due to the re-issue.
    Guns N’ Roses’ classic 1987 debut album, Appetite for Destruction, returns to the top 10 on the Billboard 200 chart after more than 29 years. The former No. 1 re-enters the tally (dated July 14) at No. 10, following its deluxe remastered reissue on June 29.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/8464345/guns-n-roses-appetite-for-destruction-deluxe-reissue-billboard-200

There's some of these starting to crop up
    Interesting to listen to

https://youtu.be/CQTFxmILGYw

Here's the whole appetite isolated vocal, bass and lead

https://youtu.be/FMkbfJui-Do

Not In This Lifetime Tour heading towards the $500 million mark, and November Rain has hit 1 Billion views on YouTube.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markbeech/2018/07/14/guns-n-roses-heads-for-500-million-tour-earnings-as-november-rain-sets-youtube-record/#e3167b5c3ea6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭BurnUp78

Only song recorded before the 21st century to reach a billion views on Youtube.

Advertisement