Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guns N' Roses Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Out ta get me is my favourite GN'R song but that version is way too fast,the song lacks the menace it used to carry the way they used to play it. I sound like a broken record but I don't like that drummer,Sorum would've been a better bet in Adler's absence.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Think everyone's in agreement that Frank needs to slow the fuck down..

Anyways, 2 more videos from Coachella Night #2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Favourite song is Rocket Queen. Probably influenced by constantly rewatching my old VHS tape of that incredible performance of it from the 88 Ritz gig. Any excuse to post it! Fair enough Axl's voice was ****ed by the end of it but that instrumental ****storm for the second verse after he wanders off is pure hair on the back of the neck stuff...

After Rocket Queen I'd have Patience, It's So Easy, Locomotive and Estranged to fill out the top five. One thing I love about Estranged is that it's just the band playing with no bull**** sound effects or overblown production which brought down a lot of the songs on the UYI. November Rain is probably the best example. I like it but it's hysterically over the top. Compare it with the original acoustic and piano demos...no comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I'm bored and listening to guns. Feck it estranged is a class song. It helped me through a ****e time so many times.

So what are people's favourite GNR song ? Mine is estranged.

Prob a toss up between jungle, it's so easy and Nightrain. If I had to choose one it'd be Nightrain. Just a great rock song that captures the sound of GNR perfectly
    Personally I'd rate all the songs on Appetite higher than all the other GNR songs even the ones that were written around that time with think about you been 12th. As great as the songs are on the illusion albums including the monster songs they seem to be missing something that Appetite has. Maybe that unmeasurable element of danger, anger and not one fuk was given if people would buy it or not. Some would say it was Steven's drumming that sets it apart from the others I'd be inclined to agree it definitely has some bearing on it. But the whole GNR sound on Appetite s just defines Guns n Roses for me anyway

• Advertisement

Some good songs on Chinese Democracy as well, the title track, Better, Street Of Dreams, TWAT, Catcher In The Rye, I.R.S, Madagascar..

Just watched that jungle vid Lithium posted its great to see Axl really in to it and looks to be having a blast as well. It'll be interesting to see his interactions with Slash when he gets out of the chair

• Registered Users Posts: 40,023 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Prob a toss up between jungle, it's so easy and Nightrain. If I had to choose one it'd be Nightrain. Just a great rock song that captures the sound of GNR perfectly
    Personally I'd rate all the songs on Appetite higher than all the other GNR songs even the ones that were written around that time with think about you been 12th. As great as the songs are on the illusion albums including the monster songs they seem to be missing something that Appetite has. Maybe that unmeasurable element of danger, anger and not one fuk was given if people would buy it or not. Some would say it was Steven's drumming that sets it apart from the others I'd be inclined to agree it definitely has some bearing on it. But the whole GNR sound on Appetite s just defines Guns n Roses for me anyway

The thing that seperates appetite from the illusion records is appetite had five guys living hand to mouth at times barely surviving and the illusions had five lads living in big houses in LA. The ability to write songs was there but the edge was gone. That's just my opinion.

Yeah while Appetite was being worked on, it was just the five of them united against the world, fast forward to the Illusions, money, fame, ego and someone getting too big for their own boots and general hangers on had infiltrated the inner circle driving a wedge between members.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Yeah while Appetite was being worked on, it was just the five of them united against the world, fast forward to the Illusions, money, fame, ego and someone getting too big for their own boots and general hangers on had infiltrated the inner circle driving a wedge between members.

I think the reckless road book captures the feeling and way that AFD was recorded in. It was a cass of the lads going on the lash and then rocking into the studio hungover to ****.

• Advertisement

Appetite, much like the band that recorded it, lightning captured in a bottle at a time when rock n' roll really needed a kick in the ass, with a hint of knowing it could all implode quickly, and Guns certainly delivered..

Of all the albums I own both GNR and non GNR appetite is my favourite. I mean jungle sets the tone for the album straight out of the gate.

I mean it's played at American sports venues for a reason. It hypes you up.

Also I can't believe that all five of the appetite line up(I know that line up isn't the original one techinically) are still alive.

Of all the albums I own both GNR and non GNR appetite is my favourite. I mean jungle sets the tone for the album straight out of the gate.

I mean it's played at American sports venues for a reason. It hypes you up.

Also I can't believe that all five of the appetite line up(I know that line up isn't the original one techinically) are still alive.

In fairness most of them knocked on heavens door at one stage
    One or two were even let in but kicked out after a few minutes
    Not sure what happened to Izzy but in Slashs book he mentions that after a heavy night izzy rang his dad to collect him wasn't seen for a few months then arrived back sober so what ever spooked him sorted him out.

The Izzy incident, August 1989.
    After being sentenced to a year probation for urinating in public aboard an airplane, Stradlin decided to attain sobriety; he returned to his mother's home in Indiana, where he detoxed from drugs and alcohol.

fin12 wrote: »

That's one horribly written article. Inaccurate and snippy comments about how the lads look.

That's one horribly written article. Inaccurate and snippy comments about how the lads look.

It's the Daily Mail, don't be surprised..

Memories of the Use Your Illusion Tour: An Interview with Tracey Amos

http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=13840

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Pretty sure that's Slane Castle pictured in that piece. Interesting read:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭RayK0309

I think whoever decided on the Tokyo gigs for the live releases must've been really high or Japanese!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

RayK0309 wrote: »
    I think whoever decided on the Tokyo gigs for the live releases must've been really high or Japanese!

I have those DVDs, think they are really good.

I have those DVDs, think they are really good.

It's a long long time since I saw them but really I'm talking about the crowd. Maybe one is better the other. I was mostly familiar with the blue one..''Perhaps a little bit of Arnold for you?''

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

RayK0309 wrote: »
    It's a long long time since I saw them but really I'm talking about the crowd. Maybe one is better the other. I was mostly familiar with the blue one..''Perhaps a little bit of Arnold for you?''

Was that actually just one full concert but they released it in two DVDs to make more money?

Was that actually just one full concert but they released it in two DVDs to make more money?

I don't think so but I could be wrong..I had the red one for only a short time before someone ''borrowed'' it!..the quote is from the intro to the blue one! It's just a really tame crowd is alls I'm saying..

Yeah the Japanese crowds are tame on the Tokyo videos.. Think it's something to do with their culture.

DJ Ashba Says Axl Rose Wanted Him in New Guns N’ Roses Lineup

It seems like its working out well for everyone. Did you know that the GNR reunion was going to happen this year?
    Absolutely. In fact, Axl wanted me to be a part of it. I couldn’t be more happy for it happening. I was stoked to find out about it, people have got to remember, If I wasn’t a fan of the band, I wouldn’t have joined the band. I have great admiration for Axl, Slash and Duff and, Steven, Izzy and everybody's put into that thing. I have even more respect now after playing in the band for so many years. I couldn’t be more happy, I’m just a biggest fan as I’ve always been, I’m so happy for the fans that they get to go out there and see at least half of the band reunited, its a big deal. This is what the fans have been wanting, me included in that. I just didnt feel like it was my place. If Slash has come back, I couldnt be more happy, this is great. At that point, its best I go do what I’m really good at doing. Its kind of the best of both worlds, I get to have my favorite band back and I get to go play in my favorite band again. Its a win win.

http://www.metalinsider.net/interviews/sixxa-m-s-dj-ashba-talks-new-album-guns-n-roses-reunion

I think he may have broached the subject for about 10 seconds and was happy enough to be told no.

Reading his answer, he seems greatful for the 6 years he had in the band, and he nails it at the end with
    Its kind of the best of both worlds, I get to have my favorite band back and I get to go play in my favorite band again. Its a win win.

Listening to the new SIXX:AM album, he sounds more in place there than he did during his run with Guns.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Yeah the Japanese crowds are tame on the Tokyo videos.. Think it's something to do with their culture.

It's the same with pro wrestling. They clap.

• Advertisement

I think they filmed two shows back to back and the band dressed the same. I loved the move to the city version from Tokyo that's the live era version.

Advertisement